Beaver Island Net - Beaver Island Places, People, Art, and History Beaver Beacon - the Beaver Island Monthly News Magazine
Beaver Beacon - Beaver Island News and Events, Stories, Places, People, Art, Photography, and more.
Beaver Island
Beaver Island Hotels & Motels | Rental Cottages | Transportation | Things to Do | Restaurants | Shops | Services | Construction | Real Estate | Classified Ads
Beaver Island Beaver Island Places Excursions Projects Artists History Advertise Contact

 

Beacon Archive

June 2004
PDF Version

News from the Townships

Thanks from the Beaver Island Hospice

CMU Summer Field Trip Schedule

BICS to Graduate Seven

Tom Kelso 1940-2004

A Fine Mess

Strang Writers Enjoy Beaver Island

The Splendor of Crafts

On This Date

One Hundred Years Ago

Sock Hop Results

Broadway on Beaver: “An Evening with Stephen Sondheim” Premieres

Letters to the Editor: From the CCG

Letters to the Editor: BIRHC Meeting; Optometrist's Contract

Letters to the Editor: Karaoke

Sherry Burris 1956-2004

Henry Ricksgers Junior 1923-2004

BIRHC Truck Raffle

School Election June 14

Thanks to the Steinbachs: a New Fire Truck!

Wildlife Club News

Whiskey Point Light Reports Received

Baroque on Beaver

The Annual "Fashion Tea" July 8

Congradulations to Ryan Wojan

 

Whiskey Point Light Reports Received

St. James Township just received two reports about the Whiskey Point Light, one from the archaeological firm assessing the site and the other from the architect who evaluated the structure.
The first, “Environmental Site Assessment,” came from Tetra Tech NUS in Pittsburgh. In a preliminary examination in 2001, chips from several layers of lead-based paint that were applied since 1870 were found in the ground, leading to a more thorough study. But no storage tank leaks, asbestos, or other hazardous chemicals were found. Also, this is not considered to be an area of potential radon infection.

The second report is from John Dziurman Architects Ltd, and includes a note on the Light's history. The first Light built on this site came into existence in 1856, at a time when dozens of boats came into the harbor every day. Congress authorized spending $5,000 for the station.

In 1870 the first Light was replaced with a taller (41') double-walled tower: The outer wall was 12" thick covered with soft brick; then there was a 2" air space; then a 4" inner brick wall was coated with plaster. At the top, 5 concentric brick rings encircled the tower. The light had a 12-mile visibility.
In 1885 a major stabilization program filled in the cellar beneath the attached dwelling. The former barn was converted to a summer kitchen, and a kerosene storage building was added. In 1915 the Life-saving Service became the Coast Guard. In the early 1940s the outbuildings were demolished.

The architect proposed a program involving several steps: stabilization of the building; eliminating pests; waterproofing the building; securing the site; venting the building; upgrading the utilities; and developing a use and protection plan. He estimated various restoration costs: $112,500 for the brick tower; $12,780 for various external features; $3,550 for new windows; and $9,375 for interior work. Including such things as lighting, furnishings, and landscaping, and factoring in the difficulties of working on Beaver Island, his estimate was that the total cost would be almost $210,000.


The Real Beacon:

Fully Formatted PDF Version:
http://www.beaverbeacon.com/PDF/2004-06-June-Beacon.pdf

Select Images in the Image Gallery
www.beaverbeacon.com/gallery

Please Subscribe to the Beacon for current issues
www.beaverbeacon.com/subscribe


Search the Beaver Beacon Web Site & Archive:

Keywords: