High Speed Internet now available

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Aripp

High Speed Internet now available

Post by Aripp »

Good Morning,

First of all I would like to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Al Ripp and I am the new Market Manager for your area taking over for Chad Mix. I have been in the telephone industry since 1974 and have held a variety of different positions during my tenure. I joined TDS in 2001 through an acquisition of Mid-Plains Telephone which is located in Middleton Wisconsin.

I know that many of you have been waiting for high speed internet for sometime and I wanted to let you know that thanks to Rick Bucholtz and Chad Mix, DSL is now available to 95% of the Island. To order services you may call 1-888-225-5837.

Unfortunately there is a small area along Donegal Bay that has not been deployed at this time because of the additional cost of construction. This is an area that we filed for federal dollars through the round one of stimulus funding but were rejected. TDS is currently in the process of reviewing all those areas for round two funding and will be filing those requests before the March 29th deadline.

I realize that this has been very frustrating for many and appreciate your patience. I am planning on visiting Beaver Island during the week of 3/29 to get more familar with your area.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns in the mean time.

Sincerely,

Al Ripp
TDS Market Manager
608-826-4395
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Al, I want to be amongst the first to thank TDS for this system. Many people wonder why it takes the kind of time this has taken. I have been researching the cost of this kind of thing over the last couple of years. You folks have invested a tremendous amount of time and money in something that will take many years to recapture. I have friends down in Hart Michigan near Ludington who, to this day can only get dial up service. Once again, I am sure I speak for many when I say thank you for the effort by TDS, Chad and Rick!
Donegaljim

Post by Donegaljim »

This is really great news for the Island----especially for those who live down south and well away from the Library and Community Center. We are finally being connected to the 21st century.
Jim Birdsall
Beaver Island
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Fantastic news for the Island - thank you very much for all you have invested to bring this about.