|Beaver Island Places||Excursions||Projects||Artists||History||Home|
The White Shoal Lighthouse
In 1906 the Lighthouse Board petitioned Congress for funds to construct a permanent light station on the White Shoal, and on March 4, 1907 $250,000 was appropriated.
A crib was built 72’ square and 18’ high with 400,000 ft2 of lumber.
It was towed to the site and sunk with 4,000 tons of stone. In 1909 a steel frame for the tower 42’ at the base and 20’ in diameter at the top was assembled with 9 internal decks, lined with bricks, and covered with a skin of terra cotta blocks.
The massive Second Order Fresnel lens was first displayed on September 1, 1910, and was visible for 28 miles in clear weather. In 1913 compressed air deck cranes were added.
The lighthouse was automated in 1976.
Lighthouse Central - Lighthouse Guidebooks and Lighthouse Tours
A Winter Run - cutting through the ice to supply Beaver Island with gasoline
This story appeared in the April 2008 Beacon.