|Beaver Island Places||Excursions||Projects||Artists||History||Home|
The Old Waugoshance Point Lighthouse
Built in 1851 to replace a wooden lightship, this light sits on a wooden crib that was sunk and filled with stone. The crib was rebuilt with massive limestone blocks in 1867-70. A conical brick tower squats on the burned-out shell of a round 2-story dwelling.
The tower was encased in iron plates to protect the deteriorating bricks, but the ironwork has fallen into the lake.
Abandoned in 1912, the structure was used for artillery practice during World War II. The tower is capped by the black ‘bird cage’ skeleton of the lantern. This style of lantern is rare, having been replaced by the more familiar rectangular windows in the 1860s. It originally held a Fourth Order Fresnel lens.
Lighthouse Central - Lighthouse Guidebooks and Lighthouse Tours
A Winter Run - cutting through the ice to supply Beaver Island with gasoline
This story appeared in the April 2008 Beacon.