Beaver Island & Block Island Ferry Comparison

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AEW

Post by AEW »

One of my favorite grandiose predictions was when the Peaine Township Airport Committee said they needed expansion because the Airport will be having 20,000 flights in just a few years. They knew it was a lie.

Get some new people and thinkers on the Island and the old ones should move to Flint. They will fit in nicely.
AE Wirth
AEW

Post by AEW »

Regarding the Boat Company. They all do a great job and run the ferry very well. But if the prices can get lower it sure would help.
AE Wirth
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

curious about this - how does it work?

Emerald Isle was purchased through federal funds and Beaver Islander was purchased privately.
Emerald Isle is operated by both Beaver Island Transportation Authority and BIBCO, where the Beaver Islander is operated by only BIBCO.

Do we "own" the Islander only?
Is the Transportation Authority part of Charlevoix County?

Thanks for any info.
stardust

eco tours

Post by stardust »

If there were a eco- tour package included into the price of each boat ticket that may boost incoming passengers. Come on lets all be truthful what is there really to do except for a quick tour of the museum, eat at Daddy franks drink at the Shamrock and be marry at the Circle M.

There really needs to be a draw to the island a nitch Mackinac Island has fudge how about Beaver Island Coffee Rosters and call them Beaver Beans (Yes my wife roll's her eyes and tells me no to quit my day job) why doesnt the boat company to sun set cruse dinners.
Mojave Bob

Post by Mojave Bob »

The ferry has certain set costs - maintenance intervals, staff, fuel, docking fees, insurance, licensing, etc, that do not change significantly whether they have two passengers to split it between, or 200. If we want to lower the ticket price for the ferry, the only probable way to do it is to increase the passenger count.

So, the answer to this discussion is to increase the number of visitors to the island. As the last post pointed out, we need to give people a reason to visit. We love the island, and that is why we purchased a place two years ago. The people are great, and the town has some nice shops run by wonderful people. But, that won't draw enough visitors by itself.

I think what we need is to find things that get people to hang around in town, making the town and the area around the ferry dock more vibrant. In particular, I think things like food carts (including ones from our existing restaurants), smoothies, live music/busking (I know there is a WHOLE LOT of talent on the island! Share it!), face painting, chalk artists, etc. I would like to have some sort of live music or attraction going for every ferry arrival. And, then, some sort of memento of the island to take with them.

We are a part of one of the most wonderful places in this country! Let's get the word out, and then do what we can to make memories!
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Mojave - Good suggestions! Before your time there were at least two "street venders" who would work to ferry dock and from there out to the point. Even though they were popular for Islanders and visitors they were run off.
Kirk
AEW

Post by AEW »

Mojave it still comes down to cost for a lot of people. When a family plans a vacation they want the best bang for their buck. There are hundreds of beautiful vacation destinations in northern Michigan that all compete for those tourists. Yes the Island is unique but the added cost of travel to it is something a family is going to calculate into their decision making. Bringing a vehicle and a family of 4 round trip to the Island takes a lot out of families budgets.
AE Wirth
E. Naranjo

no brainer

Post by E. Naranjo »

The bottom line here is $$$$. If we believe the islands future depends on a strong supply of fresh dollars coming from an endless line of people with disposable income we are kidding ourselves. Let me back up, this island has and will continue to thrive with or without the U.S. dollar. It was here before the Federal Reserve began releasing notes and it will be here long after the "Dollar" is forgotten about it. In my perspective I see a vast sanctuary that is begging for people to participate. Beaver Island is host to the cleanest air, water and natural living. Our resources are unfathomable! "The sky is the limit! Everything that one needs is here! Yes there is work, but... it is work. If one wants a simple, clean, healthy and productive lifestyle then look no further. If one wants to move here and set up a "fudge shop" or whatever and attempt to gain tremendous profit well then you should just forget. You have chosen a "tough row to hoe." Timing is everything. Right now is a great time to move to Beaver Island, get to understand the needs of your community, help one another out and live life the way your Creator intended. As far as the current political mumbo jumbo goes, forget about it! Use your time wisely to get your house in order. I know many people / tax payers feel violated. I don't know what to tell you except I can't allow our family to be distracted. All of the answers will present themselves sooner or later. Until then lets figure out how we (island residents / visitors) can build each other up and prepare ourselves to have an awesome lifestyle!
stardust

Post by stardust »

Naranjo are you living on the same island we do.What I see is people selling off their undeveloped property for under market value. A township in financial disaster As the children of the island grow up and finish high school they leave the island to start their lives and career's.

The island is in need of new blood new business's and with your backwards thinking that the island has resources and infrastructure to support a growing population if this was true people would be building on their lots instead of selling them. The island is in great need of the guy opening a fudge shop or a toy store.
megsing3

Post by megsing3 »

A toy WHAT...!?
KyleMarvin

Anecdotal Evidence from a Newcomer

Post by KyleMarvin »

My experience with the ferry service has been wonderful. I made several trips on the Emerald Isle during my move up here, one trip with a 20' U-Haul and one with a pickup truck with two large dogs in the back.

The staff of BIBCO was one of my first introductions to the island, and they were welcoming and accommodating.

I teach at the BICS, and students of mine find gainful employment and valuable professional experience working for the ferry during the summer.

I'm not sure about all of the underlying issues because I haven't read all of the posts in this thread - they tend to be full of hyperbole, hostility, and emoticons.

The ferry dock is, in my limited experience, a place of joy for newcomers and Islanders alike.

But then again, I'm new...

Three cheers for the BIBCO staff.
duffer

boat

Post by duffer »

lets face it were a welfare community. the boat need tax dollars to run and more than we generate, most people here that have steady jobs are hand picked locals,all government jobs, as a person who has proved to be a community player and has stayed offering good quality fair service, i have tried to get a good year around job but some how working for a few of the biggest companies in the US makes me not qualified? and it just goes from there. DOWN HILL, i just keep praying and loving my neighbor,s hoping they will someday see the folly.
duffy
duffer

Post by duffer »

and kyle i don't blame the bibco staff they are all my friends and doing there jobs,
duffy
pbona

Post by pbona »

In an effort to provide proactive viable solutions specific to the Ferry and transportation concerns of the Island, here are some ideas I have suggested in passing over the years:

1) Have a free Ferry Day. Mackinac Island does it on Motherâ??s Day. It would seem to work better if we did it on Fatherâ??s Day. Students would be out of school and ready for a vacation.

2) Provide a â??Family Packageâ?￾ on weekends or better yet on slow days. Say $200 round trip for 2 adults with vehicle and kids free. Friday at 5:30pm, Sat at 11:30pm until Sunday at 5:30pm.

3)Scheduling that would allow for maximized on Island contact time. It is impossible for downstaters to make an 8am mainland boat on the days when only 2 ferries are scheduled. Think hunting seasons.

4) SENIOR rates: all those retired adventurers with a new place to visit.

5) BIBCO managed/guided hiking/biking and 2 day camping tours.

6) This pertains to the marina and the Ferry. Incentives for boaters and fishermen. Perhaps a catch and release tournament or annual regatta.

7) Whatever happened to the sunset cruises? A day long catered Lighthouse voyage? Greyâ??s reef Waugoshaunce, Skillagalee, White shoals.

8) And you knew this was comingâ?¦ If you want people with shiny, modern cars and their disposable income to visit the Island, PAVE THE MAIN ROADS.

The idea is not to make money on first time visitors, but to incentivize return trips. Hopefully, once people recognize the safe, unspoiled space the Island provides, they will want to repeat the experienceâ?¦ with friends.

In closing, I would like to say that BIBCO and its employees, in all weather and under stressful conditions provide a great and vital service to the Island. Kudos to you!I am sure there are many other plans, birding etc. that are in effect, but it is obviously not enough. I am not trying to rattle cages or offend anyone. On the other hand, be careful what you ask for. There are those who value the serenity and seclusion the island gives us.
P.S. I still have an old boat ticket from 1974 for $2
AEW

Post by AEW »

Maybe it just unrealistic to expect a very remote island in the middle of nowhere with limited amenities to have a decent vibrant economy. And maybe that is ok.

A few ago I had 6 long time seasonal clients who tell me they were going to list their homes because the property taxes were killing them. But the Island never seems to want to discuss measures to help those people out.

Micro house communities would be a good way to get people to come to the island with a lot less expense. It opens the Island door to a whole new economic group of people who may not have the money to invest in the Island as a traditional vacation houses.
AE Wirth