PICTURES????

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Brenda Mullins

PICTURES????

Post by Brenda Mullins »

Can someone please tell me how to post a picture, I have one that is very old and we have been told it is a store on Beaver Island my grandparents grew up on the island. My G Grandmother was Adaline LeBlanc, G Grandfather Andrew Newman.. anyway want to share the picture... It is of a store keeper and three small children one which is my Grandfather... There is a flag on the store it has ten stars on it... Thanks..
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

This forum doesn't have an attachment feature (yet) but you can upload the photo to external webspace of your choice and then include it in a forum post using [ img ] link to image [ /img ] (spaces added to the img tags here so they show as text instead of function - don't add the spaces for the real deal)

( or you are most welcome to upload photos here: http://www.beaverbeacon.com/gallery/ and also include them in forum posts using img tags as above)
Brenda Mullins

Post by Brenda Mullins »

Thank You and by the way I really enjoy your site..
I did get the picture posted if anyone can give info would really appreciate it...

Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Brenda, It is a great picture but are you sure it was taken on the island and is there any more information on it? I searched my records for information on Newman but he must have moved to Charlevoix, I see that is where some of the kids were born. Any other information you could provide would be great.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Brenda, here is text from an email I received from you cousin Georgia LaBlance Boyer, her email address is in there as well, send her a note!

georgia wrote:
> > I just looked up on my records and I see that Adeline LeBlanc was a
sister
> > to my grandfather, George LaBlance, who married Laura Sendenberg.
Adeline's
> > father was was Samuel LaBlance & Elizabeth Belonga/Belanger. There were
> > seven children...Joe, Adelina, Emily, George, Ann Isabelle, Albert &
Rose.
> > I also see that Adelina & Andrew lived in Boyne City. That could be
where
> > the store was. If you could pass this on to her as well as my email
address
> > if you like. Would love to hear from her. Georgia
> > To: "georgia" <gboyer@charter.net>
megsing3

hhhhmmmmm...

Post by megsing3 »

I thought that in the spirit of Halloween it was strange to see a lone human arm reaching out in the picture, then realizing that the picture is obviously ripped and that someone's image was removed from the history of that place, I began to wonder... And what is with that flag?
Happy Haunting, Everyone!
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

I find myself in that awkward position this morning of having to agree with Richie (ha) - I don't believe this photo is from BI. There is too great of a pictorial history collected here to have a building such as this go unrecorded.

As for a missing person - not so. Yes, the photo has been ripped or damaged in some form, but the arm is simply that of the proprietor, which is quite evident from examining the folds of the material above and below the elbow, or where the elbow should be. The flag is simply the flag of the day and reflects that in the number of stars.

When I first saw the picture I thought of what a great photoshop challenge it would be to try to restore it. But a job like that would take hours. A good project for Jeff I decided.
TjD

History & Mystery

Post by TjD »

The flag in the photo is more than likely a home made confederate flag. The first confederate flags were called the Stars & Bars. The early sentiment of the rebels in the South was not to abandon the â??old flagâ?￾. . Standards for the manufacturing of the Stars & Bars were not followed early on as most of the flags were made by groups of local women for the local company or regiment. A ten starred flag with red & white stripes was their flag until Tennessee gained her seat as the 11th State to join the southern revolt. The Stars & Bars was dropped after the start of military conflict because it caused too much confusion on the battle field because of its similarity to the U.S. flag of the United States Army. Regiment & company flags from North Carolina (the tenth Confederate state) also bore ten stars. The flag in the photo I believe is either a U.S. flag hastily altered after North Carolina joined the rebellion or a flag altered by a former North Carolina rebel solider or their descendant who was proud of serving under the ten starred flag of his company. Of course this is just speculation, what is obvious is that someone desecrated a U.S. flag which they proudly displayed. The Civil War and the long enduring â??Cult of the Lost Causeâ?￾ is the only explanation I can think of.

As for Frankâ??s comment that â??The flag is simply the flag of the day and reflects that in the number of starsâ?￾, well,â?¦.even if there ever was just ten states in our country it would have been long before the advent of photography.

Iâ??ll yield to Richieâ??s opinion as to its location. However, I have one question, was brick ever used back in the day for construction on the island?

Oh.. and is that contraption the man is standing next to a popcorn maker?
TjD

How many stars do you see?

Post by TjD »

When I looked closely at that flag it appears to only have 9 stars. If so that would rule North Carolina out; the 9 star flag was used briefly by the confederates before North Carolina joined the insurrection as well as by 1st Regiment Tennessee Volunteer Infantry. But, anyoneâ??s guess is as good as mine as to why that flag only has nine or ten stars.

That popcorn machine seems to be the real topic of the photograph; wherever the photo was taken at I bet that popcorn machine was a big deal. Especially to those kids. :wink:
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

I thought about the flag thing after I posted (also my presumtion of the man being the proprietor). 10 stars? What was I thinking? Didn't the first one have 13? In a circle? By 1850 there were 30. As for the old 'Stars and Bars' I believe it had but three stripes - two red with a white in between. But I'm no Civil War historian - apparently not much of a historian at all.

But what's that hanging on the right? Is it a bunch bananas? A stinky stringer of fish?

You could make up quite a story from just one old photo. Pass the popcorn.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Well

I couldn't find a flag with 10 stars & 13 stripes (or bars) on it on-line but a couple of sites did agree that some were made. However all the confederate flags I saw with 9-11 stars had them in a circle. Could it have been a Francis Hopkinson Flag (the one with 13 stars and 13 stripes with some of the stars not visible because of the way it is draped?

Also, Is it really brick? I noticed at the lower right that the end of the building has white masonry lines at the edge. I've never seen the cement at the building corner. Also at the top the "bricks" seem to be very shiny. I don't know if it's possible but could that be a fake brick facade of some sort? I also just noticed at the top the bricks are framed with wood?? and don't have any building behind them?

Jim
Brenda Mullins

Post by Brenda Mullins »

The information I have is this is my G Grandfather Andrew Newman born in1871 my Aunt always told us this was taken on BI but now who knows where it is.. The picture was ripped and taped back together..
megsing3

yes of course

Post by megsing3 »

I do agree upon closer inspection that the photo matches perfectly if the rip is disregarded, there is no missing person, the arm does belong to the proprieter, who seems to have been born in a barn seeing as how both the front door and the screen door are standing open. My guess is that this photo was taken before air conditioning -haha, joke...

Okay, I think that the thing on the right is a bunch of bananas. The machine his arm is resting on does look like a popcorn machine, and it even looks like there might be popcorn on the bottom of the glass box. Maybe, if on the island, this was an early version of the hot dog stand which opened quite happily to service any people who closed the bar. It also sounded yummy to me if this machine was used to make cotton candy or gyros, I though of those because of the horizontal bar that is in the machine. Plus, what goes in the bottom of the machine, behind and under the white door? Could this be for salt, sugar, other supplies, onions tomatoes and tzatziki sauce, or maybe ice?

This is an intriguing photo, and it would be great to learn more about where it was taken, even the trees and things stacked and strewn about next to the building, and the building on the right of the picture, dont feel like they are from Beaver Island.

The flag topic is of ultimate interest.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Brenda, Your photo is generating great interest and we all appreciate your submission! TJD's comments on the flag are very interesting. If the photo were taken anywhere up North what in the heck is the confederacy doing being openly represented up thisaway?? I supposedly had a couple of Boyle uncles on opposing sides of the blue and gray. The brick thing was my first tip off of the idea the photo was NOT taken on Beaver Island, the second was the bananas or whatever they are. There are many little features of the picture that call its location into question. Meg, I disagree about the building to the right, that is classic early Beaver Island! Anyway, I hope Brenda has contacted her cousin and they are busy sorting things out. I never heard tell of bricks on the island in that era. A friend of mine asked if they could be "Z" brick or fake, that initiated a fairly strong stare!! OK, keep them cards and letters coming. I don't think that was a popcorn machine either, when was popcorn invented? I know its ancient but....................
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

It's amazing what sometimes grabs our focus away from whatever else we should be doing.

Again I agree with Rich - the building to the right is classic early BI, although the roof rises at quite a steep pitch.

I also have to agree about the popcorn machine. The early models used steam generated by burning white gas - the earliest date for these I found was around 1880.

Here's a quote I found:

"The first popcorn "machine" was invented by Charlie Cretors in 1885. Until then, poppers were made to sit in front of stores to attract attention."

Which is what is happening here.

The machine in question in the photo has wheels in the back (I printed a 5x7 to get a better look) and it looks like popcorn in it.

I did find a photo of a 1917 model that is quite similar. It would seem
the white door in front is where you would get the popcorn. I put the photo in the gallery, you'll have to look for yourself there, just follow Jeff's link in a previous post.

If the gentleman was born in 1871, how old is he in the photo and what year would that be?

Flag note - Looking at this flag more closely, I would say it does have 13 stars, given the depth of the fold. The Francis Hopkinson flag had 13 stripes and 13 stars, but according to some the stars were 6-pointed, not five, although there seems to be much debate about that, as well as whether or not his design was the first (move over Betsy). Regardless, 13 star flags date back from 1771-1795 - a time when there were still many design variations apparently - so it would seem this flag was an antique at the time of the photo.

Next . . .