Christian controversy

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Frank Solle

Christian controversy

Post by Frank Solle »

I am having a difficult time trying to understand the latest goings on concerning the Beaver Island Christian Church. This little congregation was created over 40 years ago as a non-denominational haven for Islanders not belonging to the Catholic faith. (Iâ??m not sure the Episcopalian church was present at that time, but regardless, it wasnâ??t the right niche either.)

From my understanding, the BICC has been a long-peaceful, long-distinguished, and most importantly in light of this matter, a long openly-participatory congregation. From its humble beginnings in a small motel room it has always held to an open door policy â?? here we are, come join us.

Until now.

Now it seems a small group within the church is forcing its fundamentalist views on the entire congregation. And these views are, in essence (I find it hard to believe Iâ??m even typing this next phrase) hate mongering ones. They have taken a position of complete intolerance, which would seem totally alien to the core tenets of Christian belief. Doesnâ??t the bible somewhere state to love thy neighbor?

In I Corinthians (2.12) it states, â??The things that are of bad no man knoweth.â?￾ Yet apparently among the current members of the church there are those who seem to think they know.

Elsewhere, (4.5) this same book says â??Therefore judge not before the time until the Lord comes.â?￾ Yet apparently among the current members of the church there are those ready to judge today.

And later, (7.7) it adds, â??For I would that all men were even myself; but every one hath his proper gift from God.â?￾ Yet apparently among the current members of the church there are those who deem some gifts from God not proper enough.

In 12.13 it states, â??For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body . . .â?￾ Yet apparently among the current members of the church there are those who beleive this is just not so.

Or do not recognize this as being so.

Of course, the fact that a women praying with her head not covered is cause for her head to be shorn (11.6) isnâ??t recognized either.

Apparently the fundamentalist groupâ??s fundamental drive is to follow only the dictates that back their beliefs.

Too bad that doesnâ??t included 12.25: â??That there might be no schism in the body; but the members might be mutually careful one for another.â?￾

For isnâ??t that the true Christian way?
Michelle LaFreniere

Post by Michelle LaFreniere »

Ok I am biting... Here is my two cents worth..

It is my firm belief that the Christian Church is FILLED with truly CHRISTIAN people. I could go on for days with the good they have done in our community. I strongly believe good will triumph over evil, and the greater body of people in this CHRISTIAN CHURCH will do the right thing.. never mind those of small minds, I challenge those who feel they have the right to judge to look in their own back yards, in their homes, and in their hearts.. surely you KNOW this is wrong.... don't jump on the band wagon, stand up for what you REALLYYYYY feel is right..God will forgive you... and by the way I belong to the Catholic Community, and I think we need to buy a piano!!
I am praying for you all...
TjD

Please Explain

Post by TjD »

Frank,

What specifically are you talking about. Can you tell us what is the â??position of complete intoleranceâ?￾ that has motivated you to post here.
Chamber of Commerce

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

The Beaver Beacon and NorthernIslander have both covered the topic in brief. The church members are slated to meet on Monday the 9th. It is likely the issue will be resolved then.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

I don't need any more hate mail delivered to my home and business address. I'm thankful for those that can have an adult dialog and feel sorry for the rest.

K
Last edited by K.A. Pike on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
larry hall

christian contraversity

Post by larry hall »

I believe in the Bible and I accept that the Bible says homosexuallity is a sin in many places. A very wise man told me recently that the Bible lists many sins. I believe these sins are committed by many people in every church in the country, including Beaver Island. How can these people who think they can take over God's job as judge only pick one man and one sin and tell the rest that they're ok? Talk about inconsistancy!! You either go after all the sinners for all the sins, or leave the judging to God when their lives are over. And if you rid all the churches on Beaver Island of all the sinners, you will have three empty churches. I don't think even you judges will be acceptable by these standards.

I agree with Mr. Pike's second to last statement: Let's substitute God's judgement for our own. Let God judge ALL these sinners when their time comes. Don't be in such a hurry to take over God's job, especially when you're only focusing on one sin.
larry hall
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

Wow. The hits just keep coming. It seems, by now, everyone and everyone else has read these posts.

With that in mind, letâ??s move away from the muddy waters of all this biblical ballyhoo and into the clear light of reason.

This issue simply comes down to two perspectives:

First, that what two mutually consenting adults do out of a spirit of generosity, love, and understanding, in the privacy of their own home, and without causing any other persons pain or harm, is reprehensible, unacceptable, and just plain wrong.

Second, that what two mutually consenting adults do out of a spirit of generosity, love, and understanding, in the privacy of their own home, and without causing any other persons pain or harm, is acceptable, without repercussion, and simply no one elseâ??s business.

The problem, of course, beside the fact we are even discussing it, is that the two views regarding this matter appear to be uncompromisable.

Yet the point, I believe, that the first group is missing goes back to a line I once borrowed from the great scientist Carl Sagan for use in a poem (good poets, it is said, mimic others; great poets stealâ??and then thereâ??s me), â??we are made of star stuff.â?￾

Of course, if a star were writing the poem she could easily say, â??we are made of earth stuff.â?￾ For as physicists have been insisting for decades, we are all made of the same stuff. The stars, the sun, the planets and moons. The birds, the bees, the grizzly bears, the mountains, the rocks, the rivers, the air. And we humans. Once you begin to break any of these down, from systems to tissues, to molecules to atoms, to neutrons, protons, and electrons â?? down past the mesons and gluons and the up quarks and down quarks that make up those subatomic particles â?? you will, eventually, come to one, indivisible thing. Call it what you may.

However, the more we try to add to our knowledge, the less we actually know. In order to truly understand we must, instead, subtract. It is not good enough, or true enough, to say we are made of star stuff. We can subtract towards the truth. We are made of stuff. We are stuff. We are. We.

I am you. You are me.

Someone is reported to have said during this hullabaloo that he wouldnâ??t or couldnâ??t pray next to a Buddhist or a Muslim. What that person really said was he couldnâ??t pray next to himself. How sad. For him. For all. For we.

We need to care for one another as we care for ourselves. What else do we have? Why are we here if not to care for one another and help each other grow and be? And if we canâ??t do that here on small, isolated Beaver Island, what chance does the world at large even have?
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

I don't need any more hate mail delivered to my home and business address. I'm thankful for those that can have an adult dialog and feel sorry for the rest.

K
Last edited by K.A. Pike on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evan

Judge not

Post by evan »

"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"

Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'

Reject sin but in the same moment have nothing but compassion for the sinner. Because we need compassion and forgiveness or we too shall be lost.

That which we have done to the least of all men and women, so also we have done unto Christ. It's not easy to love the unlovable, to pray for those who persecute us, but it's the way. It's easy to be judgmental, but we were admonished to judge not. We were called to love one another as Christ loved us.

No strings attached.
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

WONDERFULLY SAID!!! AMEN!!!! =D>