B.I. - 1st in nation

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jflanagan

B.I. - 1st in nation

Post by jflanagan »

Too bad it's:

"Gas Prices Decline, So Does Consumer Confidence
Consumer Affairs - USA
The most expensive gallon of gasoline is now found on Beaver Island, Michigan at $4.51. Drivers in Lancaster, Pennsylvania are paying the least for a gallon ..."

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2 ... es155.html

jim
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the TIP...Ill gas up on the mainland and do my part in lowering the demand for gas on the island. I paid $2.75 a gallon in San Antonio today...Peaked at around 3 bucks a gallon. It is not doing anything good for the economy at these high prices!!!
Sean McDonough

megsing3

i've got gas, too

Post by megsing3 »

Every day in the great city of Chicago they pronounce the highest gas prices in the nation on the radio. I consistently laugh at the great bargain as compared to the island.
capncinde

gas prices

Post by capncinde »

go ahead, try it....buy a barge, buy a tug, risk your life on the great lakes waves to go get a flammable, poisonous, dangerous cargo and haul it 32 miles across the Lake. Purchase the liability insurance, try to meet the requirements of the State regulations, the Coast Guard rules, the Government regulations, the DEQ, the township, the county, the admiralty of the seas laws, and the sheer fun of crossing lake michigan waters several times a year....just to sell a few thousand gallons of gas. Do the Math, how many gallons are actually sold on the island? We are so lucky to have someone risk their lives to bring fuel to the island...so that we can continue to enjoy this beautiful Island Life....
Cynthia Johnson
Sean

Post by Sean »

Good point. Its not like it can be hualed over at no charge.
Sean McDonough

megsing3

gas selling

Post by megsing3 »

I hope that my comment about the price of gas was not misinterpreted. Haha, I can do the math and am also capable of understanding the need for the high prices on the island. But, just for a fun update, Beaver Island was finally featured as the WBBM "highest gas price in the nation" last week.
Dan Wardlow

do the math?

Post by Dan Wardlow »

Some have done the math and come up with a surprisingly large number for the "few thousand gallons" sold here annually. And others of us just remember the good old days when the price differential between the mainland and Beaver Island was 70 or 80 cents a gallon, not $1.45 a gallon.