Injured loon sighting, can anyone help

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

capncinde

Injured loon sighting, can anyone help

Post by capncinde »

A visitor at the community center reports an injured loon on West Side Rd, near the Fox Lake turn off, can anyone help?
Terry Frysinger

Post by Terry Frysinger »

Directions
Stir together the Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, hot sauce, garlic, and pepper. Add the duck breasts, and toss well to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
Preheat a grill for medium-high heat.
Grill the duck to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-well, depending on the size of the breast, and the temperature of the grill.
jacquel

Post by jacquel »

Terry- Loons are not ducks, they eat fish and also are protected as a threatened species... I hope you were jesting.

On a serious note... as the Area Coordinator for Charlevoix County Loon Rangers....
I received a call from Ron Wojan and immediately, Mark and I sprung into action. Grabbing a jacket and jumping into the car, we headed down to the siting. It was an adult loon, in the middle of the road. Now most folks don't know this but loons cannot stand or walk on land. So while appearing wounded, (and there was blood on the road possibly from it's feet when it tried to scoot down the road or when it landed), we were able to capture the loon (threw the coat over it's head- you don't want to get stabbed by that bill), and transfer it to Green's Lake where it happily swam away (after latching onto Mark's thumb for a few seconds). We watched for several minutes. It was swimming fine, diving, otherwise trying to get away from us as fast as it could.

Also, once loons land on dry land, they cannot take off again. As a water bird and highly adapted to water living, they need to be on water and at least have 80 yards in straight line to take off. If the water is too small, they will not be able to fly off.

So, if you come upon a loon you can call me, attempt a rescue yourself (as I have done in the past and yesterday) or call the DNR- which will take them several hours to get someone out here.

Why was the loon in the road? It may have been forced down by an eagle or osprey defending its area, or just made a bad judgment and got into the woods. Luckily for this one, it landed on the road where it could be seen, reported and rescued.

Thank you to all who took the time to call, post, etc....

Jacque- head Loon Ranger of Beaver Island!
capncinde

Daring Loon Rescue!

Post by capncinde »

Thanks to Mark and Jackie LaFreniere, for braving the sharp-billed loon yesterday, wrapping her in a blanket and sending her sailing off at Greene's Lake.

If you see an injured loon, Jackie is the area representative to call.
capncinde

Thank you to Jacque & Mark...

Post by capncinde »

Thank you Jacque, for posting that interesting story! I wanted to be able to express all the things you told me about the loons and your being the area person to call, so thanks again for making all that clear so people on the island will know what to do to rescue injured animals on the island.