Fairness for Father Jim

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Bill Schneider

Fairness for Father Jim

Post by Bill Schneider »

I love the Island actually more for the people here, than for its beauty. After a rocky start some 30 years ago, when I broke some not-so-unspoken rules leading what was then called the BI Property Owners Association, the islanders and others have been very kind to me. I especially owe Cindy Gillespie a debt of gratitude for her help in stopping the nighttime harassment that was going on then. And I have seen Scott, one-time pianist at the Christian Church, surrounded by love when he was under attack. Recently I have tried to help quell some of the more lurid speculation about the St. James Township Board members.

So, having said this, permit me for a moment to be angry with some of my island friends. The recent treatment by some people here of Father Jim at Holy Cross has been quite cruel, and is likely to result in his leaving the island. This has been the goal evidently.

I am by no means interested in re litigating the matter of Father Joe. For all I know, he had it coming. But this is different. Father Jim is a kind and sensitive man, always counseling love. And, if nothing else, he is the representative of a 2000 year old institution with a sacred mission, and he is due respect for that, if nothing else. He is duty-bound to uphold the Church's teachings and traditions as he understands them. He will sometimes make mistakes, like we all do.

Apparently the major bone of contention is Father's discomfort with a certain island funeral tradition. If you want to show him the love behind that tradition, baring your teeth at him won't be very convincing.

So now there is a whispering campaign against Father Jim, and not a few displays of contempt to his face. The number of people involved is not large, but they are well enough placed to make his life here a misery. There are also "courageous " unsigned letters to the Bishop urging his ouster.

Here are a few other issues held against Father, some comically petty, others not very funny.

1. Does Father buy Willow's dogfood out of the right account?
(Do you really think he's dishonest, a thief?)

2. He let's the choir and piano player "show off" by having them in front, and anyway the choir's no good.
(If you don't like the choir in front, you won't like what's going on in many churches on the mainland. Besides your friends and neighbors are giving of themselves and doing their best, and getting results that are better than at a lot of other places. )

3. He let's them use the piano, not the organ. (As a trained classical organist, I too prefer the organ. But not That organ. How about getting a better one. I'll donate too.)

4. Willow's dog run is ugly. The rectory property is ruined. (Really? Couldn't we be happy that a man living alone, having taken a vow of celibacy has a furry companion, who is safe now from traffic? Removing the dog run someday way in the future is a cinch.)

I could go on. But let's remember that word get out ever faster than before. Certainly the priests and the Bishop of the diocese have the island's number. We could well lose the parish. But even if not, do we really want the island to be notorious for having a short fuse? Is that the way to a prosperous future? Is that the way to make people feel secure investing in a home or business here?

My hope is that folks will get in touch with their better selves and open their hearts to a good, good man. You people did that for me, for which I 'm eternally grateful. This one should be a lot easier because Im more of a piece of work.

I urge all who agree with me to give Father Jim your personal support, to tell the Bishop, and to make it known on the forum. I hope it's not too late.

Meanwhile, peace and love brothers and sisters.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

A great many of us are in his support Bill. Your points in his support are well made! A petition of support was submitted to the Diocese as well as emails sent. He is a kind man!
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

As a non-church-goer, I can say only that from what I see, it seems that what Father Jim brings is a grand love for Beaver Island, tender attentiveness to the aging and ailing residents, a shy smile, genuine kindness, and his own very strong opinions. Is it the last item there that is causing the problems? It has been so heartening to me to see rows of cars lined up in front of church on Sunday mornings again, after a time when our church was almost bare. I have a small poster hanging in my home as a reminder, because it's easy to get caught up in stubborn matters of ego or insult; it simply says: "BE KIND. NO EXCEPTIONS."
Cindy
Bill Schneider

Post by Bill Schneider »

Cindy, thanks for your words of praise for Father Jim. Of course, strong opinions based in the love of God and the people here have not caused this unpleasantness. The real cause is to be found in the hearts of people other than Father Jim. We need to learn how to listen to each other.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

I cannot even express how sad I am to see Father Jim go. He is a good priest and a great man, no matter how long the homilies.

He came wanting nothing but good for the island and the parish, and he was run out of town within two years. This incident has made island politics up close and personal for me, whereas I'd prefer to stay out of it and quietly do my own thing. Frankly, I don't like it one bit.
stardust

let it go

Post by stardust »

Don't waste your time looking back at what you've said

Move on life is not meant to be traveled backwards

Come on folks he is man of the cloth he has always been very nice to me and my wife
kateg

Post by kateg »

I have stayed out of all of the Forum arguments in the past, but have to put my 2 cents into these posts. I was totally unaware of what has been going on at Holy Cross. And I am saddened and even angry that anyone would be unkind to Father Jim, and even the previous priest. These men have given up everything to serve us and the Catholic church. They deserve not only respect, but kindness. I grew up with parents who had the island priests (and their dogs) over for dinner on a regular basis. They were part of the community and no one spoke poorly of them. If you think that you won't be without a priest at all, think again. It's happened in the past when the island only had a deacon, who is limited in what they can do. And downstate here, they close churches right and left if there isn't support. I absolutely love Holy Cross. There is a special feeling when I walk through those doors-a place where many of our grandparents and parents were baptized, married or eulogized in. Father Jim has my total support and I hope he will remain on Beaver Island for many years. Willow too!
Kathie Gonyeau
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

I am completely shocked and saddened that Father Jim is being treated this way. You could not find a kinder man, we are lucky to have him be a part of our community. I can not understand why anyone would want him to leave.

By the way when I drove by his house the other day, I commented how much I loved Willows new dog run - very well done.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
Bill Schneider

Post by Bill Schneider »

Sunday at 9:30 will be his last mass at Holy Cross. Let's all be there. even if you're not catholic.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Father Jim is an extremely kind man.

I ask those behind his removal to come out from the shadows of power and reveal themselves, their documents and there lobbying. They have no true courage, Two priests in four years?

Do you realize how ridiculous this looks?
dtritsch

Post by dtritsch »

Fr Jim has my support, he is a good man and a very caring priest. He tried his best to pull Holy Cross back together over the past two years.

All the best for Fr Jim

Don Tritsch
Last edited by dtritsch on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Sadly, it is done, a shame. Fr. Jim is going to Rogers City and then to Higgins Lake as I understand it. Those who undermined him for his honesty and our school administrator will pay in the end as the old recordings say. Who amongst you are to judge from a glass house? Shame, shame on the people in the leadership to let this happen. I am not a "Churchy" guy but the people who used this man and cast him aside should be so ashamed while some pose and others took.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

and some of the "churched" wonder why the "un-churched" remain "un-churched"
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

I was raised A B C ( anything but catholic.....lol) Church of England..Methodist... Mormon (!).

Livng on Beaver Island , I would say to visiting friends...that's where the dead catholics live ( Holy Cross Cemetary) and that's where the dead christians live (Twp cemetery)...That's where the catholics go to church and that;s where the christians do ( comm church).

As with most of my comments it was all tongue in cheek.

Some folks would be dismayed .".but catholics are christian too." Of course they are .. by and large.

PEOPLE! What on earth and heaven above is this treatment of Father Jim..and Willow.? Christian behaviour ?I seriously doubt it.For shame on those who instigated this and those who helped it flourish...all you anonymous people.

By golly I am in the mood to smite ! (No worries...I don't have that power).I am saddened and dis appointed about all this.I like and respect Father Jim and his efforts since being on Beaver Island. I am sorry he is leaving.

Thank God he has Willow.
thenomads

What Jesus said:

Post by thenomads »

Matthew 5:7-12New International Version (NIV)

7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 â??Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven...