A Pirate home for a Wounded Tern

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

A Pirate home for a Wounded Tern

Post by JFPowers »

We are having problems finding a home for this wounded tern and the way he squacks for food I believe he would look awesome perched upon the shoulder of the infamous " Beaver Island Pirate". It seems an educational permit is needed, and perhaps through the slick work of our local governments, one could be achieved to allow us to get a permit for the pirate to keep the bird. I'm sure his fishing skill would keep the critter well fed :D

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I'm game if I can, ".....teach him how to cuss, teach him how to fuss and pull a cork out of a bottle of wine." :wink: 8)
Skull&CrossBones
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

His beak is strong, he's sliced into my fingers multiple times, he dines on a variety of fish, his squaks will alarm you to any intruder, and his black cape will blend with yours....... RRRRRRR
Dick and Amy

Post by Dick and Amy »

You may call it a Michigan macaw; that is an amusing thing you have going there
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

In checking out sanctuaries, migration time is the busiest time of the year for avian rescues. Also a little known fact is they can only rescue terns in pairs. They accept single song birds, birds of prey, water fowl, farm and domestic birds but terns only in twos. They informed me that it is the one thing that has stood the test of time since the beginning of good deed rescues. And that is, one good tern deserves another. :wink:
Sorry Doc but I've only got one eye to keep a watch on your feathered friend, can't do two. :roll:
Keep up your good deeds. :D
Skull&CrossBones
Maureen Abele

Post by Maureen Abele »

Maybe the Wildlife Rehab Center www.wildlife-rehab-center.org in Grand Rapids?
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Keep 'em Jeff, it's your "Tern!" Knyuck, couldn't resist!
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I will try it Mo, so far it has been a strikeout, as the pirate says Tern's arent high on the rescue list.

You may see a structure erected soon, sort of a "Bastion for Bernie" if no one is interested. His wing is definetly damaged to the point that he may never fly, I am also hoping a zoo may be interested I have calls in to a couple.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Doc, I didn't say terns aren't high on the rescue list, I simply said you need to rescue a pair of terns because, "one good tern deserves another."
However, Richie brings out a good point that when it's your tern it's your tern. :shock: I had a mate who fostered an injured tern and shortly after getting it aboard ship, my mate died. At the funeral, everyone said, "he went long before his tern." :roll: :wink:
I haven't given up, I'll keep looking for a home for BI's now famous tern. :D
We need to find another Bird Man of Alcatraz. 8)
Here's a thought, how about CMU taking on a tern as a summer project, kind of like a summer-in-tern. :D BI could make a deal with them, if they take the tern, the island will let them be winning float on the 4th. :shock:
Skull&CrossBones
robertg

Post by robertg »

Oh, the puns! ](*,)
Rob Groesbeck
The ex-K-8th-grade Science Teacher
gavin cornell @ BILS

tern

Post by gavin cornell @ BILS »

where is this tern? id take a look if I could?
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

I could email pictures he is at my East Jordan clinic right now. Howell Nature center has offered to put him in a large flight pen and see what he can do, if I can get him down there.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

We have a tenative plan to move the Tern to Howell Nature Center and give him some time in a flight pen. where he can move around more and hopefully develop some strength. Kathe Meade and her family have offered to take the Tern to the Center next week. There the wildlife veterinarian will help to take care of him. Thanks to all of the concern and leads we may have now found a new home for Bernie the Tern :D