Memorial Day Ceremony

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AMVETS POST 46

Memorial Day Ceremony

Post by AMVETS POST 46 »

Memorial Day Ceremony
Monday May 25, 2015
10:00 AM
Please Join Us For
A Memorial Day Observance at
the Veterans Memorial Park
AMVETS POST 46
BOX 319
BEAVER ISLAND, MI 49782
amvetspost46@yahoo.com
AMVETS POST 46

Post by AMVETS POST 46 »

The Memorial Day observance will be held rain or shine. It it is raining then the speaker system will not be used.

Thanks
AMVETS POST 46
BOX 319
BEAVER ISLAND, MI 49782
amvetspost46@yahoo.com
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

For all those who have and all those who are, thank you for your service.
Skull&CrossBones
Jim

Post by Jim »

Thank you, Pirate

Jim Stambaugh
sallys

Post by sallys »

They're not going to play Taps, are they? I would like to take the girls, but don't want to upset them.

Sally
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

memorial day isn't about bbq or store sales...thanks to those who served / serve, and their support teams...

pam
(an aussie army brat)
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

SallyS - Here's the history of Taps, perhaps if your girls knew the history of the song they would understand it better and not be upset.

"Of all the military bugle calls, none is so easily recognized or more apt to render emotion than Taps. Up to the Civil War, the traditional call at day's end was a tune, borrowed from the French, called Lights Out. In July of 1862, in the aftermath of the bloody Seven Days battles, hard on the loss of 600 men and wounded himself, Union General Daniel Adams Butterfield called the brigade bugler to his tent.

He thought "Lights Out" was too formal and he wished to honor his men.

Oliver Wilcox Norton, the bugler, tells the story, "...showing me some notes on a staff written in pencil on the back of an envelope, (he) asked me to sound them on my bugle. I did this several times, playing the music as written. He changed it somewhat, lengthening some notes and shortening others, but retaining the melody as he first gave it to me. After getting it to his satisfaction, he directed me to sound that call for Taps thereafter in place of the regulation call. The music was beautiful on that still summer night and was heard far beyond the limits of our Brigade. The next day I was visited by several buglers from neighboring Brigades, asking for copies of the music which I gladly furnished. The call was gradually taken up through the Army of the Potomac."

This more emotive and powerful Taps was soon adopted throughout the military. In 1874 It was officially recognized by the U.S. Army. It became standard at military funeral ceremonies in 1891.

There is something singularly beautiful and appropriate in the music of this wonderful call. Its strains are melancholy, yet full of rest and peace. Its echoes linger in the heart long after its tones have ceased to vibrate in the air.

The origin of the word "Taps" is thought to have come from the Dutch word for "Tattoo"- "Taptoe." More than likely, "Taps" comes from the the three drum taps that were played as a signal for "Extinguish Lights" when a bugle was not used. As with many other customs, the twenty-four notes that comprise this solemn tradition began long ago and continue to this day.

While there are no official lyrics for Taps, the following unofficial verse (author unknown) is often used:

Fading light dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright.
From afar drawing nigh -- Falls the night.

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky;
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

Then good night, peaceful night,
Till the light of the dawn shineth bright;
God is near, do not fear -- Friend, good night."