Large Carp Die Off on Lake Geneserath

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

JFPowers

Large Carp Die Off on Lake Geneserath

Post by JFPowers »

Recently several landowners on Lake Geneserath have noted over a dozen large dead carp floating in the Lake. This information was reported at last nights Beaver Island Wildlife Club Meeting and reported to Michigan DNR fisheries biologist. We reported this noting a large recent Carp dieoff that occured in Wisconsin last year. http://dnr.wi.gov/news/releases/article/?id=3278

Our Biologist relayed this information: We haven't seen this virus in MI in a couple of years, but if you are having an abnormally large carp die-off, I need a couple carp for testing. If it's just a couple carp, nothing to worry about, but if we are talking like 10 carp or more it's probably something we should look into. Let me know if it's still going on and if anyone can get a few carcasses and freeze them- I can bring them back to the lab when I come out to do the walleye pond...

Heather Hettinger
Fisheries Management Biologist
Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources
Traverse City Field Office
231.922.5280 Ext 6870
hettingerh@michigan.gov

Seeing as we have already counted at least 14 dead carp, we have attempted to gather a couple of those as well as we wanted everyone to know as we are concerned that this could affect the growing Carp Fishery in Lake Michigan since these fish often migrate between the two lakes in Cable Creek. Please report any large scale Carp deaths as we continue to monitor this problem.