An Irishman say - "Inhospitable" ?????????????

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

steveandelaineonbeaver

An Irishman say - "Inhospitable" ?????????????

Post by steveandelaineonbeaver »

On April 13, 2015 â??Stubburn Irishmanâ?￾ posted on this forum:

â??â?¦â?¦..wish to buy the land and build a homestead but until I can see the lay of the land in all seasons theres know way to make a proper choice on what is the best lot I could afford to pay for, that suits my needs.

It is overwhelmingly apparent that the island is becoming inhospitable do to the corruption and greed. deeply saddening... â?¦â?¦â?￾

Iâ??m sad also. Yes indeed it is very sad that he reached the viewpoint that Beaver Island is now â??inhospitable.â?￾ Gosh I wonder how he came to that conclusion. Does anyone else wonder?

Steve West
Steve and Elaine West
20 Southern Oak Dr
Camden SC 29020
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

For all I know, he may have read it in the newspaper. His post was a close call but I think he just missed the corner of the plate, "one ball!, no strikes". :wink:

PS - Steve - You may have missed a letter in your header. :roll: Good to see you still use the BI Forum. 8) :shock: :D
Last edited by sbsp on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk
martin

Post by martin »

I would go with the Northern Islander also. Things were so nice and polite for several days and then Steve and Elaine have to ruin the new, the informative, and the friendlier forum. He should have read Bill's post.
martin
Stubburn Irishman

Post by Stubburn Irishman »

number one Because you have a completely criminal government in PSJT! , the fact that you have two governments that show that there is no community togetherness and the civility necessary to work together has caused a massive financial burden to the tax payer which no one gives a damn about in the current community of elite AAABI Islanders, while they liquidate the financial assets of the friends, neigbours and there families driving them to starvation or forcing them to loose every thing to the state and driven from the community.
Finally to sum up the top three is that it is almost imposable to get a straight answer to pertinent information to basic questions on of things involved in moving to the island and costs off doing so which is delivered with great distant towards me for wanting to live in your community.

There is one hell of alot more but that comes down to specific individuals for the most part. thats why I have signed up to this forum to get some answers, so you can expect alot more questions coming in the near future as it seems that the only decent people on the island that give a damn about everyone involved in the community the use this wonderful and extremely POSITIVE forum that is clearly the heart and soul of the kind caring Islanders.
stardust

speak of what you know of

Post by stardust »

I bought a home on east side dr 4 years ago I have found everyone of my neighbors to be kind and considerate and helpful, telling me if I needed any help to give them a call. I forgot my wallet at home and kathy at daddy franks told me " pay me tomorrow." I am really not sure whom on the island has made you feel not welcome. Everyone who has worked on my house has been honest and hard working and did a great job.

Now I will get to the point on Year round rentals the math is pretty simple lets say you rent a house for 1200 a month time's 12 is $14,400 a year with a lot of wear and tear on the home.
Now same house rents for 1200 a week in the spring and summer the rental season is max 7 months so that's 4800 a month so 4800x7 =$33,600 a season.

Townships were originally surveyed and platted by the United States General Land Office not the people of the island

And Last Do not judge the Many for the actions of a few.
duffer

Post by duffer »

well put star dust i base my business moto as making friends one customer at a time. i bend over backwards for my customers and yes it is hard get a place here yes there are ass holes in every community but to say the community as a whole is unhospital, the mcdounoughs have been good friends and i love to shop there and see my friends who always go out of there way to say hello. there is no doubt this place it tough for families with kids because there is no workâ?¦.. ITS A RETIREMENT community! in arizona where my folks had a place no one under 45 could buy and NO KIDS. sad!
duffy
sailorman

Post by sailorman »

I agree with Stardust and the Duffer. It was unnecessary for Steve West to put blame on this forum for the problems that are and have occurred. I do hope the Stubburn Irishman takes another look. I am sure that things will get cleaned up in the future as more people move here.
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Inhospitable.

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

Beaver Island has become a resort and retirement community. Look around at those who remain here- it's those that support the community as it is and retirees in the off months and tourists and summer residents in the ' season.' The idea that we are going to attract young people of child bearing age and young families with children is a panacea. There is no work- there is no place for them to live. Like the rest of Michigan, Beaver Island needs to come to terms with this fact and capitalize on the tourist industry. And I don't think that the tourists that come here care what the political situation is. When we first started coming to BI we came for the beaches, the quiet atmosphere and the fun.
Jim Campbell
Stubburn Irishman

I just lost over an hour of typed out text after my computer crashed, so I try again with a short answer.

I have vacationed on BI for the last four years, after my first time I told myself that this is it, I want to move here and settle down and raise a family, that is why I have kept coming back for expensive vacations so I can get a good feel for the land and a low down on the local scene, so I could invest wisely. I have been told not to move here cause there was no work and the locals didn't need anymore competition after questioning that statement was when I was treated with attitude and a whiff of hostility.(member of your COC)

Let me make this clear the people(majority) are the reason why I wish to move there but there is no economy and no jobs so islanders are delusional in thinking its going to get better when more people move there. There is no affordable way to move or sustain a life on beaver island.

You seem to think that you are a resort/retirement community but you not, or not a good option for one. Please name one 4 or 5 star resort on the island? resort or tourist communities have something fore everyone and are open to every demographic and pay scale, your not at all. plus they make it cheap and easy to come and go as you please which you have not done. so your deliberately choaking off 90% of potential tourist income.
As to a retirement community you are lacking world class healthcare at you doorstep and don't seem to understand to concept of fixed income when it come to the criminally insane tax burden.

And yes people care about local politics of the location they vacation at. At the very least 50% of tourist use there vacation time to explore where why would like to invest either in there future, retirement or a financial business deal. So when you have an openly fascistic thieving government and you don't even bring in the LEO's to investigate clearly criminal activity because we don't want our friends to go to jail we'll just steal more from the none resident tax payer, no one in there right mind would go there looking to invest there hard earned dollars

I never said you people were hostile I said "BECOMING" hostile to potential new permanent residents as the desperation sinks in. as in a few not the majority.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

If the rules were enforced on this forum, I think more people would use it. I also feel you would not have somebody making the comments that this person just did because they would have to put their names on their posts. To bad the person monitoring this forum isn't enforcing the rules that they set when this forum was start. Incase we have forgotten what the rules of the forum are I posted them below.

Forum Rules: This forum is hosted on our server, but the topics and posts do not necessarily express our views. The point of this forum is to allow everyone to post their thoughts and ideas, talk about Beaver Island and all things related, and have a place to chat with other Beaver Island folks. We do not moderate posts based on whether we agree or disagree with a particular topic. Everyone is invited and encouraged to post. The rules are:
1.) Please be kind and considerate, and keep the forum constructive.
2.) Please include your name with your post. We value everyone's right to express their views, but in cases where someone else may be negatively impacted by a post or where the lack of a name causes confusion, anonymous posts may be deleted.
3.) Please keep the forum clean and appropriate for any age. Posts which are intended to attack or offend others are not appropriate.
Last edited by Andy's Grooming Barn on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
beaverman

Post by beaverman »

I agree with Andy. Steve West should have never been allowed to post this thread. He had no business doing that, and I for one would like to see Steve banned from the BI forum. He has posted around 1000 times on this forum and should now go back to his forum and leave us alone.
Andy's Grooming Barn

Post by Andy's Grooming Barn »

Sorry Beaverman, since you are not courageous enough to use your own name, not what I said and I was referring to Stubburn Irishman's rude remarks that clearly are not following the forum's rules.
Andy Kohls
Andy's Grooming and Boarding Barn
Stubburn Irishman

Okay please point out what you consider to be rude remarks, after all people on this forum tell people to go commit suicide and murder some others while your at it. But I'm breaking the rules cause you don't like what I have said/ opinion. and you don't know my name. my name does not matter as you dont know me,

Im SO so sorry let me Give you my full name date and location of birth so you can decide if my opinions are welcome.

My Name is JASON ASHENHURST and Nooooooo I was not born on the island so I guess my opinion should be stricken from the forum.

But the ancestral islanders children can tell people to die! and commit murder but they shouldn't be banned or moderated in your opinion. thats pretty petty and childish.

So I guess the rules only should be enforced against non island residents?...

Please I want to know what you find so rude, that I should be banned from communicating on this forum. enlighten us all

cheers!
Jason.
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

"Look around at those who remain here- it's those that support the community as it is and retirees in the off months and tourists and summer residents in the ' season.'"

Or you bring your own job. With the internet and a post office, the world is your oyster.
kathemeade

Post by kathemeade »

Dear Jason (AKA: Stubburn (Stubborn) Irishman;

Where are you from? It seems your sentence structure indicates perhaps not this part of the USA. I am very curious to learn why you feel that this attack on the people of Beaver Island and the slander is needed. You say you would love to live here, but then are so angry at the island and the people here. Seems to me you would put your energy somewhere else.

Best Regards,

KM