Just an observation

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Bill

Just an observation

Post by Bill »

I find the forum interesting, irritating, informative, entertaining, funny, sad, depressing, enthusing, and absolutely essential to the community. Sometimes I agree wholeheartedly with a post, and sometimes I donâ??t. But even if I find a post to be blind, stupid, pigheaded, and wrong, I would not disparage the writing of it because freedom of expression is one of the most important rights intrinsic to a free society.
After 14 years on the island, this is my first post. I intended to abstain for another 14 years, but the time seems appropriate for an â??outsiderâ?￾ to make an observation. I have spent 75.8 years on the planet and during that time I have traveled some difficult roads and I have learned a couple of things. I know what hate is, and I know what it is not.
I have observed that usually those who accuse others of having hate, possess more themselves, than those who they accuse. I have also observed that many times criticism is perceived in statements or questions where it, in fact, does not exist.
There is a Book which is the â??Ownerâ??s Manual for the Human Beingâ?￾ Like all ownerâ??s manuals, it starts with this: It contains the identity of the Maker, the proper way to operate the product, how to maintain it, some warnings about the consequences of improper use, and many other things.
Paraphrasing one of itâ??s many statements, it says this: â??Criticize a wise man and he will love you.â?￾ ( He realizes and appreciates the opportunity for self-improvement.) â??But donâ??t bother to criticize a fool because he will hate you.â?￾
Therefore, we each put on ourselves the label of either â??wise manâ?￾ or â??foolâ?￾ based on how we respond to criticism, real, or perceived. Each of us has an opportunity to improve or degrade this community. Not by what we say, but by how we respond to what is said.
It has been said that no one can make a fool of you if you do not possess suitable material for the project.
You may find grammatical errors in this post, but if you understand what has been said, they are irrelevant.
Bill Detwiler
duffer

Post by duffer »

well put bill!
duffy
Owen

Post by Owen »

A wise man speaks.
Donegaljim

Post by Donegaljim »

Bill. Yours was the best post I have ever seen on the forum. I hope that we might hear from you a bit more often than every 14 years. Thanks.
Jim Birdsall
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Excellent!
Kirk
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Personally, I found the weather in step with the mood at Holy Cross today-cold, rainy, and dark. There was no celebration of leaving-tears were shed. I am still trying to make some sense over Father Jim leaving. He is a kind and gentle man. How could this happen on beautiful Beaver Island? Could value be found in reading again this post from last April and applying it to Fr. Jim's situation? Father Jim has been the target of bullies since he arrived and by the grace of God endured-until now. After prayerful days, he has chosen to serve God's people elsewhere. For those individuals, or fools, who perpetuated this act against Father Jim and the parishioners of Holy Cross-you chose to "degrade this community". It is indeed a sad day for us all.
McGrass
Phyllis Moore

Post by Phyllis Moore »

You hit the nail on the head, Pam! What a sad day this is.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Well said Pam. There are far too many here (and there) ignoring the best interests of the community as a whole to better or protect their own interests no matter what the cost. That certainly doesn't help with inspiration in the community. Our financial troubles are being whitewashed although I get emails and comments and calls far beyond what you might imagine from people who want this resolved. These people are afraid to comment because they may be "cut from the herd". When things got hot the "defenders" challenged those using anonymous titles to ask for answers. I don't blame them! The situation has been vicious and very unreasonable by those who hold responsibility and ethics requirements to the public. A new forum was established to __________. People are leaving here in car loads! Something has to give!

Then this cowardly act to beat up a wonderful man. Very sad indeed. Will they brag to their children or grandchildren? Will this be considered a bright day for some in Beaver Island's history (despite the rain)? I worked in the rain today and was so amazed at how many cars were at the church honoring Fr. Jim. The man upstairs knows...

Billl's post was spot on, then and now.