American Kestrel Partnership

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Pam Grassmick

American Kestrel Partnership

Post by Pam Grassmick »

The Little Traverse Conservancy participates in an American Kestrel Partnership in conjunction with the Peregrine Fund on their preserves. We have two nesting boxes on Beaver Island. They are located at Little Sand Bay and the other at Barney's Lake. This little falcon has declined in the US by 47%. Both boxes have been cleaned and ready for nesting. These birds should be arriving in April. I am looking for individuals who would be interested in monitoring these boxes once a week and providing data to the American Kestrel Partnership. With other projects, I am unable to devote the necessary time to this great project. If you are interested in helping, please give me a call 448-2314. Thanks for considering.
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Kestrel Project

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Karen Whitecraft has graciously offered to monitor the Barney's Lake nest box. Still looking for a volunteer for Little Sand Bay's box near the old house. Thanks for considering!
McGrass
Pam Grassmick

Kestrels are here!

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Two Kestrels spotted-one at O'Donnell's field and the other by the old house at Little Sand Bay. A Northern Harrier was hunting over Tom and Laurie McDonough's property today.

Multiple sightings of Wood Ducks from Cable's Bay to LSB. Check out the Goldeneyes in the harbor near docks-courtship displays are easily seen. Spring is in the air!
McGrass
KJWhitecraft

Post by KJWhitecraft »

First Kestrel sighting @ Barneys Lake this morning. Very exciting though Starlings looking to take the box I'm afraid. Beautiful morning and plenty of Spring activity.
K.J. Whitecraft
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

I love these bird reports. Please keep them coming.
Pam Grassmick

Post by Pam Grassmick »

Thanks-Tree Hugger. We probably should start a new birding post for people to add their observations vs. doing it under the Kestrel post.

For today: 2 Sandhill Cranes-Sloptown, 2 Woodcock-Hannigans, 5 Grouse, Dozens of American Tree Sparrows, 2 Grackles, 2 Brown-headed Cowbirds, Dozens of Common Redpoll, Dozens of Dark-eyed Juncos, and 5 Bald Eagles.
McGrass