Pure Michigan Travel Guide

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

What, no mention of the best white fish dinner on the island served at the Stoney Acre? Priced right, prepared to perfection and served with true island hospitality. The only place any better would be to enjoy it at DD's Pub with a tall cold draft. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I knew there was something "fishy" about that ad. :roll: But go figure, the Chamber and I are after the same thing, ....."a wife and kids who make plenty of money." :shock: Forget about the "kids" part but if anyone hears of a fishing widow with plenty of money just let me know. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Skull&CrossBones
sdwhalen

Post by sdwhalen »

So, how about that Chamber. I wrote them some time ago....told them that they should promote an open water swim on the island. Harbor Springs has one every year, seems to be pretty successful. I like it.
But...no reply. I am new to the island and would like to see it prosper. May be a bad idea...dont know.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Got a complaint regarding this thread from a Chamber board member that they were "becoming very concerned about the tone on the forum. Especially the repeated unwarranted attacks on the Chamber of Commerce ... Right now if you were a person searching the web about Beaver Island and go on the forum you would think this is a horrible place to visit or live."

Obviously as Islanders we know how beautiful it is here and the shortest list of all the wonderful aspects would fill a few pages and Island businesses would like to have more than one quarter page. But on the other hand, to see the positive side, it's very good publicity that Pure Michigan did include Beaver Island in such a widely distributed publication.

Maybe it would be a good idea to try and refocus the thread to a more positive mindset and try and make the Island's future even better.
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Unfortunately you gave yourself away when you said, "I'm new to the island.....". The mantra on Beaver Island has always been: "New people come to the Island and want to change things." It matters not whether something might be a good change, change is forbidden unless you are an "islander". Sad to see the Chamber has read your post because they just posted over you about St. Pat's Day without a quick apology/response to your suggestion about an open swim. Give it another 40 years and someone might listen to your suggestions for how the Island might prosper.
It was not "a bad idea....", just fell on deaf ears of someone who was too busy to thank you for the suggestion. And that might be why Harbor Springs is prospering and Beaver Island is not.

Kirk
johnjohn

Post by johnjohn »

The Boat Co is taking reservations why don't you two miserable bastards make a reservation 888-4464095
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Again, let's please try and point this thread to a positive direction.

Baroque is on the online pure Michigan event calendar; maybe the Island should arrange a trip this year for the Pure Michigan editors to wow them more so we get a bigger spot in their next publications :)

sdwhalen - Try contacting the chamber again. I'd love to see more water events to celebrate our harbor and nautical setting. I'm sure it's a lot of work to get an event going and get a critical mass of participants and cover all the logistical details; it would be great to see a variety of things like this. Maybe you could help organize such an event or put the chamber in touch with an organizer who would be interested in doing something here.

I liked the idea of a paddle fest in the harbor although the weather didn't cooperate with the cool temperatures last year; I'd love to see something different like that take off too.

Also I really liked Mike Weede's idea of a small sailboat regatta, although once again it takes a lot to get a critical mass of sailboats to really get it going. I'd like to see that in future years too. I miss seeing Ken Bruland's kayaks around the harbor and the sailboats are not only a nice activity but add some great color to the harbor.

The boodle has been very successful in prior years giving birth to the marathon and other runs now. The bike festival has also become a really strong event in recent years. Real credit to those who dared to try these and did all the work to make them work so well.
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Here is something that several businesses and organizations did by partnering with another organization to promote Beaver Island, look at this page compared to the Pure Michigan Page.

http://www.michiganbackroads.com/Towns/ ... sland.aspx

The coordinator of this page much like Sean's attempt was turned away by the Chamber when they first approached the island. He had written off Beaver Island as a destination to promote and to visit. It was only due to a chance meeting that we were able to establish this worthy connection for the island at a minimal cost.

The Pure Michigan ad much like our Webpage in comparison is weak.

http://www.michigan.org/city/beaver-island/

Here is a good one

http://www.michigan.org/hot-spots/harbor-springs/

So how do we do that? I know there are several businesses already talking about partnering to get it done. Because John John if you look around there are a lot of businesses and people looking to sell, and by that final boat ticket out of here and that sir is a real problem.

I sent some links to a local township official a month ago about community planning resources, but the response was, we have to get our books in order. Hopefully that starts in the near future.
Marie LaFreniere

Post by Marie LaFreniere »

The E-Newsletter of Pure Michigan says we have Celtic Festivals every fall. Does this mean they are coming back this fall??

"With a predominantly Irish population, Beaver Islanders and visitors enjoy festivities during their Celtic Festival each September."

It's been several years since there was a Festival so wouldn't this be misleading?
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Marie -
I attend several Celtic gatherings and Celtic games in Michigan. I am a member of the Kalamazoo Scottish Festival and work the games each year. That said, Beaver Island is often discussed and not in a good light because of a bad experience here and therefore the reason for the festival of a few years ago to come to an abrupt end. I have encouraged a return to BI but have been told that they will never again consider coming. Sad to be an Irish/Celtic community and have that reputation out there.

Kirk
MJ Pike

Pure Michigan Travel Guide

Post by MJ Pike »

Thanks so much Kirk for letting the world know how you feel about Beaver Island. There are several very good realtors on the island who would be more than happy to sell your house for you so you wouldn't have to be associated with us. Just a suggestion that you should really take very seriously. Those of us who love Beaver Island would even be glad to put in a good word for you to help you get your house sold quickly, since you are so unhappy with Beaver Island.
MJ
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I feel no compulsion to defend my remarks on the Celtic games leaving Beaver Island and most likely not to return. Tomorrow I will be happy to post the detailed reasons for their leaving and not returning until one condition is met.

Kirk
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Ken, I would be glad to take you up on that offer and work with others on some opportunities. This year we partnered with others from the island for the West Michigan Tourist Association 2015 Carefree Travel Guide (Chamber included) could use improvement but its a start over 150,000 distributed. BIMF is a member of MFEA a Michigan Festivals and Events Guide 2015. It is a brochure that opens in map format. 750,000 distributed. This also allowed us in a community partnering program www.michiganfun.com where we were able to add our museum, library, and art studios. Yeah! The Michigan Backroads is also somewhere we all need to be results high fee reasonable. There is also a Michigan Lighthouse brochure that Beaver Island should be in. One more note as a member of the Charlevoix Chamber of Commerce they like and promote things from your website and Facebook page which helps any business. A suggestion for our chamber. We should also be looking for the lone backpacker who just buys a ticket to the family that purchases land or a home and every person in-between. That is why BIMF is successful and continues to grow each year, www.bimf.net, bringing people from everywhere :)
burton
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Ken no need to send yet. Let me do my research and get some people together. I will keep in touch with you and see you this summer. We have quite some time for 2016 and I will find out the Pure Michigan Tourist Guide deadline for advertising. I will keep you informed :)
burton
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

â??There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.â?￾

Martin Luther King Jr., A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches

Great man, great speech, words to live by!
burton