Please Attend St. James Township Annual Meeting March 28th

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Are yous hawking the networks for a TV reality show on BI? It could become BI's biggest industry and tourist attraction. Tourist would flock to BI for the chance seeing of a shooting or even filming. I would start casting calls right now. Who would play the role of: Gillespie, Taylor, Mcbride, Wirth or Campbell? Bolton being from southern California could play himself. Now for a name, Survivor would be an infringement as would Big Brother or Biggest Loser. The Kardashians with no ifs, ands or butts would still be a risk. How about Kerfuffles? :shock: :roll: :D :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Kendra Vera Thorson

Post by Kendra Vera Thorson »

Richie, You refer to Jean's position of clerk as a "position of trust" Well there is a reason she and my father have been re-elected time and time again into a "position of trust". WHY you ask? Well because they are incredibly trustworthy individuals!! I know this must be difficult for you, seeing as how you've failed to be re-elected for another term as County Commissioner. I am certain a big reason for that failure is...well...voters questioned your integrity. I am terribly sorry for your loss as I'm sure this may be a big part as to why you are so bitter, but may I offer up a bit of advice for you and your team of critics... Instead of sitting on your computers spewing hate, why don't you look deep within your hearts and find a little piece of good. Try volunteering(that means not getting paid) for something worthwhile such as assisting the elderly of the community or giving a helpful hand to someone in need. If you need help with anymore ideas I'm sure my dad (Jim Wojan) would be happy to assist you. Seeing as though he is a wonderful example of someone who is truly dedicated to helping anyone and everyone. When it comes to Beaver Island, my father has dedicated his life to the good of the community and has always gone above and beyond his call of duty. Can any of you cyber bullies say the same of yourselves??? I think NOT!!! Richie, how much time did you spend on your computer to make 23 posts on the same thread??? Again, use your time to leave a positive impact on the island and its people, as my father has! You ask why no one from the township has posted on the Forum...well don't quote me because I haven't actually asked any of them, but I'm positive they're busy working diligently upholding their positions in which they were entrusted to perform. If you want answers, go to meetings, or better yet, run for a position on the board...Oh nevermind...that may be a waste of time judging by your past political endeavors! Unfortunately, no matter the outcome of this none of you will ever stop! The answers will never be enough because you don't want the TRUTH! What fun would that be?? You would have to find another target, another source to prey upon. I truly look forward to all of your responses as I'm certain they will be filled with uneducated online banter while the true, honest, dedicated, hardworking islanders you are out to hurt and destroy uphold their small town morals, working timelessly to make their home a better place!
P.S. BI Pirate, when you take your long walk off of a short plank would you kindly do us all a favor and take Richie, Adam, Kirk, Campbell, Ken, and Jeff with you!! :)
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Many of yous will be glad to hear this sad and little known fact, I can't swim. :shock: :roll: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Meeting

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

Apparently the time has come to kill the messenger. Forget the facts of the dire economic situation that St. James Township is in, just get rid of the person or persons who brought ' the little accounting error ' into public view.
Jim Campbell
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Thank You Ms. Thorson for not putting me on your list of Beaver Island's Most Wanted. 8)
Through out this whole thread I do not believe I have accused anyone personally of wrong doing or doing wrong. I have merely asked the same basic questions:' What the hell happened??" and "What is anyone doing about it.??" and my favorite complaint, not being a voting island resident, "I can't do anything about it"

However, I have been following the situation and it seems that the people you are so strenously protecting (as anyone would protect their friends & family) have positions in public service that are coming under official scrutiny. Unfortunately, this is part of the responsibilities of serving in Public life and receiving public funds for their efforts.
Personally, I hope (and suspect) that what the offical inquiry finds that, at worst, some people, "did some things wrong" and "not did wrong things."
For their part, the agitators on this thread feel strongly that if the situation is not kept in the public eye, that in the end, the problems that the attorneys and auditors have revealed will merely have band aids placed on them and it will be business as ususal on how things have been done on the island.
And on that part, I totally agree.
Please understand that for those of us who do not live full time or make a living on Beaver Island but rather input substanitial funds (taxes) and our energies ( buying and maintaining homes, staying on the island during summer months)and are the true life blood ($$) of the islands future and we need to know that the Townships are being run fair and efficiently as possible in these economically straining times.

These investigative actions and audits are happening all over the country, not just Michigan and not just Beaver Island. Times are changing, government is being asked to be more efficient and more transparent, Those governments that do not acomplish this will not have the backing of their populations.

So, please do not shoot the messengers , they are merely playing out their role of agitators , which hisitorcally has been an important part of our democracy.
This forum is the coffee shop, the Pub, the Main Street of Beaver Island in the off season when many of the (twenty plus thousand views) folks who love this island are not able to be there in person. If I ran into one of the township leaders at the coffee shop I would ask the same questions to them that are being asked here. I would expect them to address me and the issues at hand. I would be annoyed if they merely ignored me or walked away.
Until the official results and and subsequent fixes are put forth, this thread will not go away. ... and in my opinon, it shouldn't.

I hope you will pease stay involved with this thread, defend your opinons and make good arguments, but don't let a few snied comments or sarcastic interplay dictate the way you conduct your own self on this matter.
Set the example, dont play into your advesaries games, set your own tone, be thoughtful and your efforts will be much better received.
I look forward to your involvement here.
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Kendra -
Your post did have an impact on me and it also did on others. You rightfully spoke up for your father and it was moving. I agree that your father has done countless voluntary projects for Beaver Island, many of them unseen and unsung. As a member of the BI AmVets I can attest that your father comes to each of us at public ceremonies and personally thanks us for our service to our country. This gesture of recognition has always impressed me as very few others go out of their way to extend that deep felt thanks. Your father didn't serve in the military but serves 24 hours a day as a volunteer fireman and has for many years. He places his life on the line every day to protect ours. Very few AmVets were on the front lines every day as your father continues to be as a fireman. That is who your father is.
The township is in serious financial troubles and as it turns out has been for several years and will be for several years to come. Our condemnation is of the entire board, its attorney and auditors. The current focus must be on those who keep the records and finances for the township. That means the position of clerk and the treasurer and not your father as a person. It is hard to separate the person from the position they serve but they are two very separate and distinct entities. Until someone from the board or the entire board comes forward to address our critical financial issues it will continue to be addressed by the public on this forum and elsewhere.

I have said this privately but let me state it here and now for the record:
Thank you Jim Wojan for your hours of volunteer service to the Island.

Kirk
AEW

Post by AEW »

I am confident the ST James Township Board will be eager to show the Citizens that they are a law abiding entity. I am sure that at the next Township meeting ALL board members will be eager to follow State Law and demand to have the fiscal irregularities thoroughly investigated by the Local Audit and Finance Division of the Michigan Department of Treasury. Since it was the Auditor and Township Attorney that brought this issue to the attention of the Board I am sure they will want to promptly obey the law and demonstrate their good will and integrity to the People.

This is what the State Law says.

"3. Reports on Findings of Suspected Fraud and/or Embezzlement--If the possibility of any fiscal irregularities, defalcation, misfeasance, nonfeasance or malfeasance comes to the auditor's attention; an "oral report" should be immediately made to the Local Audit and Finance Division of the Michigan Department of Treasury. The oral report should be promptly followed by a written report to the Local Audit and Finance Division of the Michigan Department of Treasury. "

http://michigan.gov/documents/treasury/ ... 3593_7.pdf

This must be reported to the State. The SJ Board has no choice in the matter they must by Law report this to the State. I am sure they are happy to get things cleared up.
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Meeting.

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

What is wrong with this picture? Can anyone other than me see a problem here. The Clerk and the Treasurer are working with the original accounting firm. To do what? Dig the hole a little deeper? If they had a clue in the first place, the Township would not be in the position it is in. The Township Attorney and an independent accounting firm have made intelligent suggestions to begin to resolve this situation and the board voted to accept these suggestions. What will it take to implement these suggestions? And who is paying for the wasted efforts?
Jim Campbell
Kendra Vera Thorson

Post by Kendra Vera Thorson »

Hey Jim, You should look up the definition of Libel! If you have any trouble I'm sure Adam could help you.
AEW

Post by AEW »

It is probably right next to Kleptocracy or incompetence in the dictionary. Hope that helps.
AE Wirth
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Maybe you boys ( because you are not acting like men) should remember before you comment on this post to look in your own backyards and remember the saying about "glass houses"!!!
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Ken I was actually meaning the boys above my statement - sorry if my remark confused you. I also know that this whole thing concerns me but unlike some people I have faith that the truth will come out without needing a lynch mob pushing for it!! I trust in the people that I put into office and will not lower myself to listen to second hand words and thoughts without hearing it from the mouths of those that are involved. I have a lot at stake on this island and know that my ancestors and the ancestors of many of those that have been pronounced guilty by those on this forum, are proud of the way we have worked, sweated, bled and tried to try to keep this island the way they left it to us, as an island that works side by side each other even when we don't agree on things, that are always there in a crisis to lend a hand or a shoulder to those in need. The petty bickering does not get anything done, hate begets hate. And I will not be told that because of my ancestors, I have a feeling of entitlement and that I am a deep seeded bigot, my family has worked very hard to live here, we have volunteered, and been available to help when needed. That is why I live here!!
AEW

Post by AEW »

Thank you for sharing an epitome of what I stated before.

I actually read the 21 page Memorandum from 26 Feb. I actually watched the entire 2 hour township meeting. This is a serious problem that was directly caused by some local government officials. I have not mentioned anyone's name but have addressed the greater scope of the culture of corruption mentality of SOME, not all in the community.

So sanctimony and self righteousness won't fix the core structural issues that are hurting taxpayers and making the Island look like a banana republic. This is a matter of law.

If the Island wants to attract people to purchase land, make investments, buy or build homes, improve their properties, vacation, and all the associated economic benefits then the first thing should be responsible, lawful, transparent and efficient local government. They will want to know that they are investing in a community that respects them and looks out for their interests, Not a government with the mindset of Us vs Them. It is the THEM that pays the VAST majority of taxes which keeps the Island going and should be treated fairly.

I hope that soon the people will see a full unbiased objective report of all facts, time lines and findings of this fiasco. I hope new measures are taken to protect the property owners/taxpayers from this again. Those who care about the future of the Island will support reform. The law is the law this has to be reported to the State. It is not a choice.
AE Wirth
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I sense a change is coming soon, maybe as soon as tomorrow.

Kirk
medic5740

Pirating of intellectual property

Post by medic5740 »

The work on video projects for Beaver Island News on the 'Net is one that is quite time consuming. Beaver Island News on the 'Net hires two individuals to record video. The video must be recorded, tranfered from the camera, and moved to the computer. Then the time-consuming work really begins. The video must be edited, converted to a format that will work with most devices, and then uploaded to a video server. Then the video links must be organized on a webpage and linked to the main webpage. The time frame for processing one hour of video is somewhere between five and six hours of work with an additional number of hours for uploading that depends upon the Internet connection upload speed available. Frequently, the video uploads during the overnight hours, so is not included in the processing time.

So, processing time for the two hours of video of the recent Special Meeting of St. James Township took approximately ten hours of my time. It is divided in this way: two hours for recording the video and six hours of editing and processing. The video was uploaded overnight. In the morning, another hour and a half was spent in coding and creating of the webpages and the links. And, the video was available in a timely manner.

The investment in the equipment necessary to provide this service, and live streaming of events when Internet access is available, required an investment of close to $16,000. All of this is done to provide subscribers with the event, the whole event, and nothing but the event. Commentary is seldom included unless necessary in something like an interview or a story in which the content is not obvious.

Recently, some individuals have made comments on the beaverisland.forum website regarding watching of the video-two hours of video. Since this video was made available only to the subscribers of Beaver Island News on the 'Net, it seems that some have pirated this intellectual property by viewing the video using another subscriber's username and password. The definition being used here for pirate is "to rob or plunder" and "use or reproduce (another's work) for profit without permission." At least two commenters on the Beaver Island Forum have referred to viewing the video and are NOT subscribers.

When one individual was contacted, the response was to denigrate my news service. When a second person was contacted, refusal to acknowlege access to the video was the response. None of the individuals have donated or subscribed, nor have they thanked me.

For those that do support the efforts of BINN, I thank you, and I ask you to please, please, please not share your username and password to those outside of your in-your-home relatives.