Please Attend St. James Township Annual Meeting March 28th

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I searched for this and brought it back to the top to make a point. 72,000 views and yet no responses or responsible answers from our community leaders! I watched a video of the town board meeting held last week where the lady who owns the so called "newspaper" accepted some "found" grant money for the airport but yet criticized the payment of grant money to Gillespie for work actually done on behalf of the township. Talk about someone with a double standard! Stand people, it's your community!
stardust

Just don't get it

Post by stardust »

What I just do not get is Where is there any over-site from any Federal, State and or County agency. So the townships have no accountability and pretty much cook the books to make things work
HMMMMMMM.
KyleMarvin

Very troubling developments

Post by KyleMarvin »

I'm new to the island, but I've noticed some terribly troubling developments. The grammar and punctuation on the forum is atrocious. People need to take a stand and say "enough is enough." I've submitted a FOIA request for all of your elementary school report cards.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Spelling a word the same each time shows a total lack of imagination and creativity, now don't it? :D :lol: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Pirate...
That be true, so true.
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
Hayseeder

Post by Hayseeder »

What Islanders Need to Know
In September 2015, a lawsuit was initiated by Richard Gillespie and Gillespie Enterprises against the St. James Twp. Board, in a dispute concerning work on Donegal Bay Road.
The case most recently went before Judge Roy C. Hayes Ill on July 25, 2016. At that time, the judge granted St. James Township's request for Summary Disposition on all counts, dismissing any claims against the township based on points of law and/or failure to provide evidence. The lawsuit never went to trial.

As Islanders, you need to know that during preliminary testimony that occurred earlier in the year, sworn statements were recorded that invalidated two affidavits submitted by Mr.
Gillespie's attorney. Specifically, Alice Belfy had testified that she did not follow Notary Public requirements to ensure that the affidavits were signed in her presence. She had also testified that Mr. Gillespie asked her to make statements that conflicted with actual events. Alice's sworn testimony led to the invalidation of the two affidavits. On July 5, 2016, the attorney for St. James Township forwarded court records and testimony to the Michigan State Police for review relative to violations of several laws. Thus far, this suit has cost the taxpayers of St. James Township over $20,000 in attorney fees and costs. .. over and above additional expenses required for the township to respond to the allegations.
As Beaver Island property owners and residents, we believe both Richard Gillespie, candidate for St. James Township Treasurer, and Alice Belfy, candidate for Clerk, exhibited a

lack of good faith demonstrated by their behavior relative to this case. We question their fitness for office.
We ask that you take this into account when casting your ballot.

Best Regards
Joe Reed Marilyn Reed Steve West Denny Cook
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

When did Denny Cook move to St. James Township or is he speaking for the BIRHC?