Please Attend St. James Township Annual Meeting March 28th

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Well said!

Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Change will only happen when taxpayers have had enough and demand that change happens.

Kirk
stardust

Post by stardust »

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw
duffer

Post by duffer »

funny I SMOKED A LOT OF POT IN THE 70,S and still could balance a budget? i am saddened about all of this and just hope it comes to a head. i do believe that it will work out and heads won't roll,as they used to say in the dark ages. i don't think anyone wants heads to roll, they want answers. Duffer
duffy
E. Naranjo

70's

Post by E. Naranjo »

:shock: :P 8)!!!
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

If there's going to be a change in the way of doing business, there's got to be a change of those doing the business. Failure is having the same people doing the same things and expecting a different result.

Kirk
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Beaver Island didn't get where it's at because a question wasn't answered to your satisfaction during public comment. That's why it's called Public Comment on the agenda. Your constant whining about things like this detract from your message and dilute your effectiveness.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Holding an elected official to the fire over a financial disaster is one thing. Whining over and over again because they won't pony up an answer during public comment is quiet another. I think you would be hard pressed to find any organization, public or private, that will provide an immediate answer to any question brought up during a public comment time.

I said it before and I'll say it again. You have every right to question your elected officials and the rest of us have very right to question your tactics. Your message is lost in the delivery. Sometimes people just dig their heals in with the mud that's being thrown at them. The playground bully often finds themselves alone during lunch.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

I would eat lunch with you Ken,
But they have already taken all my lunch money.... (drum roll)

BTW: It is April first. "March Madness" is over...
time to tear up all those notebooks keeping lists on "Who we hate the worst" ( sorry, Topper). I mean we hit 40,000 views!!
The issues are out there, the polls have closed and we are just waiting for the tabulations to come in....

Spring is in the air and the air in this room could use a good cleaning
So, I for one, am going to try to pretend this is the "other forum" for a while and say only positive things and ask only pertinent questions...and end with a smiley face on each post...with a little practice on my personal sincerity level, I my even try to join the good party that is going to happen over there on the new forum.
Believe it or not, though their timing was a bit suspicious, I hope it is a success..

In the meantime, in the immortal words of that man who could really start a community fire...Rodney King, "...Can't we all just get along"?

Oh, but do not think for a moment I can begin to forget all the issues that our good island faces... :D :D
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

i see that new expert on sewer assessments and township financing came forward at this week's SJT meeting. He should be able to part the troubled financial waters of confusion for us all.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Great to have someone finally step up, who is it?

Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

We all know what got us into the financial crisis, what were the expert recommendations for recouping our tax dollars and changes moving forward?

Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Hunter -
Can you clarify if you were being sarcastic or identify the "someone" or "new expert" who may have a handle of the sewer financial screw up. Recovering $32,000 would be a start in solving that portion of the financial crisis even though it is only a small portion of the overall township financial disaster.
It doesn't appear that those board members directly involved with creating this problem are taking any responsibility or accountability for correcting things.

Kirk
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Hunter -
I think I have my answer. I received a (PM) Personal Message on the BI Forum that the "experts" were most likely brothers who tried to poo poo the township's financial disaster at the township meeting. Apparently the post on the forum was meant to be a joke at their expense and not a solution.
Unfortunately, denial continues to be the solution to the very real township's financial crisis.

Kirk
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

KA Pike, what do when do when no one steps up, when the people who tried to make sense of this mess are vilified while the bills for lawn service aren't even questioned? I waited slightly over two months to ask you this question and sadly have nothing to report at this end. This is not being worked out (at least for the majority) but whitewashed. Why, after the sheriffs deputy and now the priest have been dispatched....why can't we get the answers to these very important questions?

Walking out of a funeral the other day a man came up to me I hadn't seen since last October thanking me for having the courage to asking these questions. I never wanted to! Still waiting for answers! Your point about "whining" is well made but who wouldn't? Some have commented on here that they are certain everything is going to be ok, it sure will. We are going to pay for it! I believe some of the "whiners" have paid plenty of taxes and deserve answers!

The real issue here is accountability and responsibility. That is not happening, not yet. Someone sent me a tongue in cheek "joke" the other day, "Have you heard the one.......where a priest, HC nurse and a deputy sheriff walk into the Shamrock? They just stare at each other and wonder whose turn it is.

No one is trying to hurt anyone. This is a very tough issue, take responsibility people!