Road Work on Donegal Bay Road

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

PSJA

Road Work on Donegal Bay Road

Post by PSJA »

We had thought that the road improvement work for Donegal Bay Road had been approved by the township but it appears to still be in limbo while conditions continue to deteriorate. Looking at the St. James Township website it was not possible to preview the agenda for the January meeting which is to be on the 7th but even that was unclear.
On behalf of the Port of St. James Association and all the people who travel this busy road everyday, we ask that this be on the agenda for the January meeting and flagged as a high priority with a decision made at the meeting.
I did not know who to contact on this matter but would request immediate attention in everyone's best interest.
If others would like to encourage resolution on this project, please feel free to jump on this thread and post comments.
Thank you.
Port St. James Association
Board of Directors
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

It is my understanding that the road improvement will not be discussed at tonights meeting, at least not to a point of approval. We were the successful low bidder on this project but the work has not been authorized as yet. Apparently there are too many other items on the agenda so it was not put on for this month.

The project includes taking some trees out along the left or South side of the road from the pavement or resale shop to about the cell tower on Donegal Bay Road and from the cell tower to Font Lake Court on the right for the tree removal with regrading and gravel to be applied allowing water to run off the road in hopes that the roadway will hold up better with so much increased traffic over the years.

People need to chime in to see that these things get completed! That road was nearly impassable at times this past year. Getting it shaped up is important for the coming year. Our desire is to get the tree work done and out of the way, do some of the grade shaping and then the placement of gravel as soon as possible.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Good question. I believe that the funds were illegally removed from the road fund but have no idea if, when or how they will ever be replaced. There are a lot of disappointed tax payers on Donegal Bay Road and beyond who were hoping the road would have been improved by this summer.
Kirk
JPike

Post by JPike »

Perhaps Karma will prevent Donegal Bay road from being paved...while the rest of the island's most needed roads are ashphalted(sp)....sweet justice for those who complain about EVERYTHING(select group, only included...mostly the people whom complain the most, without a solution to present or a position to be fulfilled)....just a thought...solutions and money where mouths are present, are certainly welcome....
Jared Pike
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

"I believe that the funds were illegally removed from the road fund"

What is the basis and what proof do you have that you believe the funds were illegally removed.

Please don't take this wrong Kirk, when you have concerns you call people out and I, like you, want to make sure you are being held to fire and prove your accusations.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

KA Pike: The funds were transferred from the road fund to the sewer fund, which was illegal, and it is well documented by the township's lawyer and auditor. I would think we are past what has happened and a solution is in the works.

Thank you Ken, an explanation with an accusation goes a long ways in putting fires out. Thanks again.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

The road millage is actually not up for renewal, the general operating millage, airport millage and transfer station millage are expired by a failure to place it on the ballot in 2 elections last year.
E. Naranjo

Expired?

Post by E. Naranjo »

So what exactly does that mean when you say that the general operating, airport and transfer station millage are expired? What is the result of the expiration?