looking for answers

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Terry Frysinger

Post by Terry Frysinger »

Thanks Ken. I'm still a bit confused at how my SEV seems to be moving inversely proportional to the actual property value. Over the past 12-14 years or so I can recall the SEV rating of my property only going down one or two years and then returning to the usual steady upward pace. Without researching real estate trends but relying on forum hearsay and the national fluctuation of property values over that same period of time it would seem that the value of my property has had a net downward drift.
AEW

Post by AEW »

I moved off Island about 18 months ago after 15 years of year round living. In the last few years I had many of my long term clients put their properties up for sale. Six of them specifically said that the cost of maintaining a place and property tax on the Island was too high. Some also said that there was no way their children would be able to afford the high property taxes to keep the family home if they passed it on to them. When someone invests a lot of money in a vacation home they hope to be able to recoup the cost of their dream one day. The cost of getting to the Island, provisions, fuel, electricity etc are expensive enough. But when you add the non homestead property tax on top of this the Island just does not become a smart investment. Northern Michigan is full of great lake side towns with lots of amenities that are a much wiser financial investment for the individual. The island is a nice place but nice places in Michigan are a dime a dozen.
One day maybe the old mindset on the Island change. One day they stop treating the Island as if it is only there to line the pockets of themselves and their families things will change. The way things are run on the Island by some is just plain un-American. Kinda makes Detroit look like the honest folks.
AE Wirth
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

sure it is all connected.....maybe tho a new thread for taxes?

the issues.... lest we forget .
..we need medic/s...
...health care on beaver island ..
..and evacuation of patients when necessary...

thanks..
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Key words QUALIFIED and EXPERIENCED ask those questions? also lets look at the truth of why we are in this position in the first place and what are the causes of why it remains in this state? There are others who could help, have taken the classes, but have chosen not to be on this team also, why? Certainly if this board of 5 had been in place since I believe 2002, still another why? and is anyone accountable for that? we would not be having these conversations. This board certainly has their work cut out for them (and I wish them well) to NOT make the same mistakes! With the greatest of hopes I pray that they reach beyond the Beaver Island realm and get some real professional help even if it means people will start to be held accountable. Change cannot happen over night but it could happen with the right leadership.
burton
E. Naranjo

touche'

Post by E. Naranjo »

=D> =D> =D>
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

When debating funding for emergency services or a full time paramedic, the debate should not be how much each township is going to contribute. The serious debate should be why two townships on Beaver Island? Eliminating duplicate townships would generate close to enough savings to fund a full time paramedic at the professional going rate.
Stop arguing about millage and focus on merger.

Kirk
Terry Frysinger

Post by Terry Frysinger »

sbsp (Kirk) makes a great point. If it weren't for the obvious waste of financial and human resources then having two separate governing bodies would be laughable. Why does it make sense to have ONE source of health care (police and fire, etc.) but it takes TWO separate governing bodies to run them?
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

Besides those points I believe that we do have the funding! However, with lack of leadership and the filing of paperwork we are not getting that funding. The funding is not being managed mostly to lack of experience I believe. No more tax money, restructure our system and make what we have work. And as far a the two issue, aside from the township one, we have two individuals doing the director job. Two for the job of one. It creates an accountability issue. I ask that with all the concerns please come to these meetings, voice your opinion, it is your money and we are talking about a crucial department that may or may not cost you or someone you love their life.
burton
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

If the duties are separated, which I believe they are, then no accountability issue whatsoever. For an interim situation, having the prior EMS Director doing the scheduling and providing guidance makes perfect sense to me.
carolburton

Post by carolburton »

As I do not want to get into any kind of match and I like all of the people involved on a personal basis, and I believe that true of everyone posting, no attacks. It is also my belief that due to the deep problems we may want to consider other options not tried. There is from my understanding of these meetings no job description accessible causing the accountability piece I was talking about. I wish the board well as mending this will be no easy task and at least they are trying to fix a problem that is well past and over due. I also encourage you and everyone to attend a meeting and look at it from multiple angles.
My last post. :?
Last edited by carolburton on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
burton
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

I do have unwavering trust and support for the two individuals who are stepping up during this interim period to make sure scheduling continues and all shifts are covered.

I think we all want the same things- to have top quality emergency health care. And I do applaud everyone who is trying to make this whole situation better.

Peace out.
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

and yet...