MICHIGAN STATE POLICE

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

MICHIGAN STATE POLICE

Post by Gillespie »

John Crouse, a property owner and part time resident of the island has filed a complaint against the Michigan State Police over what he views as unecessary "force". If anyone has a story to tell we would like to hear your viewpoint. Although I was never stopped (I live in the village), one would not have to be very observant to realize they were pulling people over left and right in what could only be considered "over doing it!" Please post your thoughts. You can look at Mr. Crouse's complaint on: www.sloptownroad.com
Rich

Post by Rich »

WiLL, We have to ask that you keep from naming names or being too harsh on law enforcement in general. Although the forum is just that, a forum, we don't want to get too derogatory or hurtful. Rich
WiLL

Post by WiLL »

*Edited* out by will it was an angy post lol.
Last edited by WiLL on Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

Post by Rich »

WiLL, We felt that your comments were too personally directed at specific people and not an organization which could lead us as a cost free forum in to unsafe territory. We want to allow people to get reasonable discourse into play but we cannot run a forum that might put us in a legal mess. Please consider our position.
WiLL

Post by WiLL »

**Major Bump** :P :P :P

:roll: :roll: :roll:

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

](*,)
Last edited by WiLL on Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley

Abuse of Authority

Post by Shirley »

Being in law enforcement myself, I read with interest the complaint and issues raised by John Crouse. I have always believed a police presence on the Island during its busy season would be, and still could be, a good thing. However, overly-enthusiastic officers intent on "making quotas" instead of developing community contacts can only hurt the fine image and mission of the MSP. The best thing I can say about having had the additional officers present on the Island is that it has caused many of us (myself included) to "think before we drink." No one wants a DUI, but more importantly, everyone wants to get home safely. The worst thing I can say about having had the additional officers present on the Island is that their perception of Islanders is definitely skewed towards a more negative slant, which results in more negative experiences for everyone involved. Forget about the public relations - they aren't here to make friends. But they shouldn't be here to make enemies either. I made it a point to meet as many of the officers as possible this summer, both for professional and personal contacts. There was only one individual that caused me any real concern with his "let's bust heads" mentality. It was a concern shared by his colleagues as well, who seemed embarrassed by both his attitude and remarks. If anyone has any real issues involving any officer's conduct, they should be directed towards the MSP Internal Affairs Unit, Lt. Joseph Thomas, at (517)336-6156. It has been my experience that Internal Affairs will be more objective and effective in resolving valid complaints concerning police misconduct, and is the more appropriate investigative authority to report such activity to. In the meantime, it might help to introduce yourself to the officers when they're around. Say hello and ask them where they're from and what they think about being on an Island. We are the only ones who can change their impression of what Beaver Island is all about. That's my 10 cents for today~
Rich

Post by Rich »

Well said Shirley, many people felt that the State Police were acting in some kind of vendetta way and not as of they were protectors of peace and to aid those who may need assistance. Everyone I know was instantly on edge the moment they arrived. It should be more of an opportunity to interact with them than to be terrified, and, like John Crouse, we all are in favor of having protection available but they (at least some) were being very difficult it seems.
John

Michigan State Police

Post by John »

Shirley, thanks for sharing your point of view. Contacting internal affairs was an option that I ruled out early on. As far as I'm concerned this is a management problem, and it has never been my intention to get these officers into trouble. You can continue to log on to sloptownroad.com and follow my complaint as it trickles upward. Right now it is in the hands of Colonel Tadarial Sturdivant. director of the Michigan State Police. My letter of complaint to him is now on my website, last updated October 15, 2003.
WiLL

Post by WiLL »

You ROCK John!! I wish you all the Luck in the World! or Michigan! I Like your Web Site also it's Very Well Made.
I Just Hope they wont Prosicute you! you Been Thru Enough. Like Me.. Cheer's PaL :} :wink:
BERNIE

Post by BERNIE »

:roll: I WILL ADMIT TO NOT PAYING MUCH ATTENTION TO THE MSP WHEN I WAS UP OVER HOMECOMING. I WAS AMAZED, HOWEVER, TO HEAR A STORY OF A WOMAN WHO GOT STOPPED FOR RIDING A GOLF CART ON THE BACK ROADS BECAUSE IT WAS NOT "STREET LEGAL" . THE GOOD OLE' DAYS OF A BEER IN THE BACK OF A PICK UP OR STANDING OUT ON THE SIDEWALK DO SEEM TO BE GONE. THERE IS A PART OF ME THAT UNDERSTANDS THAT PROGESS ON THE ISLAND HAS TO BE MADE BUT I MISS THE SIMPLER DAYS WITHOUT ALL THE RULES AND REGS. THIS IS THE CURSE OF MIDDLE AGE I SUPPOSE.
Dan

I Really think so also :(

Post by Dan »

Hi BERNIE yes i remember them day's i seen them also on the Beaver's.
Back when Commercial Fishing was in Progress more.

I bet walking a dog on say, Darky Town Hall Road with out a Leash, is a Big MSP Issue? Im just agreeing with you. Sadness.