Ice Skating?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

DwightEarly

Ice Skating?

Post by DwightEarly »

Is there a place to ice skating on the Island? I ask because, since we've moved here, I don't think I've heard/read anything about it.
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

I'm pretty sure that Kings Highway just north of Paid Een Oggs Road will be perfect for skating, any time now. :lol: Too bad we don't have any guard rails to sit on! :roll:
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

The school might be building an indoor ice arena. :wink: :wink: Font Lake is usually clear for skating if the ice is smooth. :D
Skull&CrossBones
Pam Grassmick

Ice Skating

Post by Pam Grassmick »

The ponds at Gull Harbor are usually the first to freeze and the snow usually blows off the ice at that site. The ice can be quite smooth. We started at Gull Harbor as kids and moved to Font Lake and the harbor later in the season. The county snowplow was used to clear the snow on the harbor in the winter and we often had bonfires.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I totally forgot about the sucker ponds at Gull Harbor. :roll: They are getting smaller each year but the good news is that you are only ankle deep if the ice is too thin. :lol: I just want to clarify that Font Lake skating is at the north end and not at the public park hidden behind Peaine township hall. :wink: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Many communities start out with an enclosed open pole barn structure large enough to enclose a covered rink. This would be a huge winter draw but as unpredictable as the snow and weather is this is truly the only way.

I will donate a good share of the materials if we can find a property large enough to house the structure.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Aah, my words in jest I must now ingest. :oops: :oops: There may be an indoor rink in the offing. :D A very generous offer, Doc, you Do it Best. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
JFPowers

Post by JFPowers »

Perhaps Pirate if a rink is ever built you could field a group of buccanneers, brigands, cutthroats and privateers to make a respectable team to challenge those from the home island..... 8)
BMcCaw

BI Pirate & Friends

Post by BMcCaw »

Brendan McCaw
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Doc, say no more, I've already got my "eye out" for a Zamboni. :P I'll be contacting my mates and the Whiskey Island Blades will be ready to take on all comers. :lol:
Skull&CrossBones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Brendan, looks like you're getting a jump on winter snow down there. :P Thanks for the picture, we may use it on our jerseys. :D It looks just like our center and wings. 8) Fair warning to anyone, including the Fishchockers, who challenge us on the ice, we have more blades than a Gillette factory. :roll: :wink: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
BMcCaw

Post by BMcCaw »

With a start like this to the Winter many Jimmy Buffett covers may have to change i.e. "A Pirate Looks At Forty Below (-40)" and "Trying To Reason With Polar Vortex Season" and Danny's can have a "Penguin Head" Party.
Brendan McCaw
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

I wanna drive the Zamboni ! I wanna drive the Zamboni ! please mister ! I've got experience.....driving the ambulance in wtr on beaver island roads....I always refer to THAT thrill as driving the Zamboni.....lol
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Pam, driving the "Z" is an Aussie job so who better to do it than you? :D You have to promise to let your father-in-law take it for a spin. 8) It'll make Don's day. :D I bet he was the one who cleared the harbor ice for Pam McDonough and friends for skating. If so, that would make him the first island Zamboni driver and you the second. 8) I love family tradition. :D :D :D
Skull&CrossBones
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

BI Pirate,
The public park hidden at Font Lake is a non starter as there will still be mosquitos lurking there......
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin