Advice please: snowshoes

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Rahn

Advice please: snowshoes

Post by Rahn »

Will be used just to get around the yard, not for hiking. My biggest question is will my husband's 11 EEE boots fit? Also, what are best materials, closures, etc.
Barb
Donegaljim

Snowshoes

Post by Donegaljim »

Don't know much about snowshoes but here is an idea.....about January 1 put on your
Doctor Dentons and your Fuzzybunny slippers, and move your chair next to the fireplace. Stay there til early May. Forget about snowshoes.
Jim Birdsall
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I'm with Donegaljim, break out the rum and I'll be your chum. I'm also thinking that 11 EEE's are snowshoes.
Skull&CrossBones
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Oh, how helpful! You guys are the best. Well, third and fourth best actually. Two GENTLEMEN of the island actually telephoned to give me their most excellent advice!

But don't dispair. I am probably the best 'straight man' on the island. I set up way too many jokes on myself! So you will have plenty more opportunities to assist me in the future with your fascinating rapport. :wink:
Last edited by Rahn on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Solle

Post by Frank Solle »

When it comes to snowshoes, I'm strictly old school. I've been using Iverson shoes for 35 years. This past March when I started cutting more firewood out back I strapped on my original pair of factory seconds purchased in 1979, so I'd say they are a safe and worthy investment. They are made in the UP in Shingleton - for what it's worth, last I heard Bob Graves now owns the company. The Canadian company Faber makes the new-fangled metal shoes, a traditional wooden shoe, plus a wood-framed hybrid that looks interesting. Atlas and Tubbs are the top two metal shoe makers.
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Thanks, Frank!