This is really happening again? Well--here's my two cents.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

You're Mom

Post by You're Mom »

What does this person bring to the table that Ms Wilk does not? Why was she chosen over Ms Wilk?
MarissaCrandall

Post by MarissaCrandall »

I will see what I can find out about that information and add it to this forum. :)
Kevin Green

Post by Kevin Green »

I quite sure that Ms. Hannah from Alaska is feeling all warm and fuzzy about her decision to move to Beaver Island after reading this thread... at least she will get a glimpse of what February will bring!
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

Assuming Ms. Hannah comes to the island and does a good job, then she will be welcomed and quickly accepted as she will bring something that the island is lacking... Diversity and exposure to the outside world.
School is the perfect place for young people to experience something different than they see every day in the streets... the streets here being island life.
Hopefully Ms. Hannah will bring many stories and personal descriptions of the world off island.
A qualified teacher will get to know their students well, and quickly, in such a small school... and know and understand them.
At that point, an off island teacher can then offer even more to the pupil having a diverse (non island) background in which to draw from. A student should be challenged, not coddled in familiarity.

Over the past forty years I have heard many BIHS grads say that they were not prepared for what they found in the outside world of college, because they were in a tiny classroom with incredible attention, but the University system overwhelmed them as they were not prepared for the impersonal structure and 100 student classroom lecture halls, etc.

Yes, the the job situation is dismal on Beaver. However,in that light, if the island is going to prepare their youth to face a possible off island future then they will need all the Ms. Hannah's they can get to come and teach on Beaver island.
Just my two cents....
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
MarissaCrandall

Post by MarissaCrandall »

Ms. Wilk is not from the island. So she did teach us about diversity. Not all BICS students want to attend universities, and no matter who comes to our school its always going to be a small school and we will never have ALL the programs that a "normal" off island school would have. So having her isn't going to change much other than maybe a new friendly face.