This is really happening again? Well--here's my two cents.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

MarissaCrandall

Post by MarissaCrandall »

Since your name is "You're Mom" which isn't even grammatically correct.... I'm not sure how to even talk to you. So whatever argument you may make on future posts I am claiming as invalid until you work on your English and figure out your identity... :)
You're Mom

Post by You're Mom »

Put your thumb over my user name and talk to me the same way you talk to everyone else. :)
MarissaCrandall

Sorry, can't do that . The stupidity of your username sits in the back of my mind. :)
You're Mom

Post by You're Mom »

Well, the ad hominem here is about the same caliber as the rest of your argument, so color me unsurprised. :P
MarissaCrandall

Maybe you should read the forum rules-- one being to INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN YOUR POST! People who do not, in my opinion, are cowards. Are you really worried that much about what people may say or think? Because if so you shouldn't be commenting on things anyway until you learn to stand on your own two feet and be proud of your thoughts instead of scared of others. And until you can "man up" figuratively speaking, then I'm not further discussing any issues with you. :)
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

It's never fun to watch someone crash and burn, but most of us knew this was going to happen. Somehow the purpose of a post gets lost in the disrespectful responses to others that oppose a view. Try not to burn too many bridges along the way. Someday you may want to return to live on BI and you might need a job. You have every right to your opinion, but make sure your freedom to express your speech doesn't come back to haunt you. :oops: :oops:

This reminds me of the Proverb "Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

WOW, I just read again your response and I'm going to be a little more direct. I don't think there is an employer on the island, or on the mainland for that matter, that would employ someone who responds to others like this. Your tone and words are filled with hate and disrespect for others. Best wishes in your future endeavors.

In case your post get's "lost" here it is again. It's very telling.

"MarissaCrandall" writes:
Maybe you should read the forum rules-- one being to INCLUDE YOUR NAME IN YOUR POST! People who do not, in my opinion, are cowards. Are you really worried that much about what people may say or think? Because if so you shouldn't be commenting on things anyway until you learn to stand on your own two feet and be proud of your thoughts instead of scared of others. And until you can "man up" figuratively speaking, then I'm not further discussing any issues with you. :)
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Marissa -
You are not burning bridges that matter so do not let those who would post that you are try to intimidate you. Exactly whose bridges are being burned? My guess is it is those who want to shut you down and those individuals should have their bridges burned.
Your point has not been lost. It is questioning why a good teacher in the eyes of students was released and a concern about a shrinking job market on BI. Both are legitimate concerns and you have every right to express them.

Kirk
mcdonoughdiane

Post by mcdonoughdiane »

ok I wasn't going to add to this and yes I removed my previous comments because this was getting out of hand but as I said before instead of typing on a computer and putting your concerns on a Forum go to the source were you think the problem is!

I see signs posted for help on the Island to this day! For instance the Shamrock!!!!! They have had it on their sign out front for quite some time now!

Go to the school board and or the board that chose the teachers and find out how they decided!!!

If you really want to get involved then attend the meetings and speak to those that you have grievances against instead of telling the world on a Forum.

Several people do NOT read this including those you are having a problem with!

I feel like this is the Beaver Island version of the National Inquirer.

This is the last you will hear from me since I have better things to spend my precious time on! which includes working 7 days a week at 3 jobs!!!
:lol:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ms. Crandall,

I am not an "islander," so you will probably find my opinion invalid, but your message has been lost in your demeaning, hostile and condescending delivery. I mean, "You're" mom is no less an English affront than ending sentences in three to four periods.

It's unfortunate, since this topic should have evoked well thought out, passionate responses. Instead, we have this.

Going forward, perhaps the "Golden Rule" is in order.

Mark
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

...and once again Kirk and I find ourselves on opposite sides of a topic. Yet, I respect Kirk for his opinion because his point is made with respect. I'm not disputing the content of Marissa's original post, just the nastiness of her replies to those that oppose her. So maybe Kirk and I are in agreement here after all. Freedom of speech is our right, but choice of our words have consequences beyond our intent. I'm done, I've kicked this one down the road far enough. Love the island and people. See you this fall again.
Kraig
You're Mom

Post by You're Mom »

For being so secure in your convictions, you sure do go to great lengths to avoid actually discussing the issue. :mrgreen:
MarissaCrandall

You see, I was not being hostile, or degrading someone else's thoughts at all. I was simply stating that I am not going to converse with a nameless person that would be so immature as to make a profile called "You're mom" JUST to comment on my post (which makes me wonder if it was a direct insult to me, or my mother. Hmm?)

Couple points to be made here
1. I never had a "lost" post- so there is no need to post what I have already posted. I am aware of my words, and I stand by them.

2. Diane, I have a job, both on and off the island right now. This recent need of employees at the Shamrock is very rare. How often do you see help wanted posts on the island? Not very often. Taking my time to engage myself in important issues on the island and trying to make a change is NOT "wasting my precious time" and if you think it is you may want to check your priorities.

3. There are rules about using a real name- check them.

4. I was not hostile... I did not threaten anyone. I only stated that I was not going to talk to someone that hides behind a computer screen and a fake name because of their inability to stand by their words and their opinions.

5. The "nastiness" (as you may say) of my replies WAS NOT TO OPPOSING OPINIONS about THIS issue. Diane actually made no direct opinion about this issue- she simply vented about how she hated that people vented on the forum. And "You're mom" asked questions but also never expressed an opinion about the issue. So again, nothing against opposing opinions.

6. Mark, I add three, four, or more periods to the end of my sentences to express that I am thinking, or have more thoughts about the subject. I'm actually very smart, and do exceedingly well in English.

7. To K.A. Pike- I'm not worried about the bridges burned. I have made many new bridges in the process of standing up for what I believe in. In my opinion I would rather burn the bridges that aren't leading me down the right path than to travel them and learn I've picked the wrong one. I will take 'the path less traveled by'.

Lastly, I just want to express my appreciation for those that have helped me to stand my ground and stick by my words. It means a lot to me to know that there are people out there that are willing to pick me up when others try to throw me down. I still stand by my arguments/opinions 110%, and that will not change.
MarissaCrandall

"You're mom" I would love to discuss the issue with you. If you would like to meet face to face, or have a civil phone conversation, then this whole conversation could be avoided. As for your name, I don't appreciate it, like it, or think it is appropriate.

I will however answer your questions. I have actually never met the new teacher, all I know about her is she is somewhat of a younger teacher. She was hired from Alaska, and her name is Hannah. Lastly she was hired for the 3rd and 4th grade job. I had mentioned very clearly that none of this was against her as I don't personally know her and I wouldn't want to attack her because she received a job. I even said that I congratulate her for it.

The fact that it wasn't an islander that was hired is not the reason it was wrong. The fact that an islander that has a great reputation with the school, has already worked there, is qualified, loved, and trusted, cares about the students and not just the paycheck, and is an extremely hard worker, did not get hired is wrong.
You're Mom

Post by You're Mom »

I haven't stated an opinion on the issue because I do not have enough information to form an opinion at this point. I do not even know why the decision was made to hire someone else. That's why I asked.

I agree with you regarding all of those excellent traits Ms Wilk brings to the table, and I for one was hoping quite stridently that she'd find a way to be able to stay here. What I don't get is jumping to the conclusion that the decision is wrong without having all of the information behind the decision.
MarissaCrandall

What specific information were you looking for about it?