This is really happening again? Well--here's my two cents.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

MarissaCrandall

Post by MarissaCrandall »

I guess I'm just the type of person that instead of sitting back and taking everything I stand up and try to make a change...
MarissaCrandall

BI Pirate wrote:Three words: "Home Schooling" :!: :wink: It worked for me. :wink: :wink:

�� thats definitely two words. :P
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

WOW :shock: You BICS gals are tough :!: For what it's worth, I believe the lesson in life is not "like it or not" or "things are not always fair" but the lesson in life is: Fight for what you think is right. You gals have got it 'going on'. :D Don't let anyone dampen your spirit and you're welcome over here on Whiskey Island anytime. 8) I always have my 'eye out' for good tough pirates. :wink: Hang in there.
Skull&CrossBones
MarissaCrandall

Haha, I guess we are just tough because its good to speak out instead of standing on the side lines... I live truly by MAKING A DIFFERENCE! It's so very important to make sure that you make your mark on this world. To show every one- and to prove to yourself that you are here for a reason.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Well said :!: Also remember that those who try to walk the middle of the road usually get run over. :roll:
Skull&CrossBones
brittanybousquet

Post by brittanybousquet »

It really saddens me that it is mainly the younger generation that is sticking up for the people of the Island. I have no comment on the paved roads issue on the Island..but the fact that THAT discussion has 77 comments and this one has 19 (now 20) frightens me a bit. Why are we worried about roads more than we are worried about the PEOPLE, mostly the students/children of the Island? Growing up there was amazing. The teachers that taught me were the best I've had, and not only because of their knowledge and teaching skills, but because they knew ME. They knew my family. They understood life on the Island. Now, like the others on this discussion, I'm not saying anything bad about the new person hired, but shouldn't we keep someone who is qualified and someone that the students know? The teachers I had while in school were the ones that were around for years and YEARS! Some are still there, but some have retired. My memories at the school aren't how 2x=y or what the 23rd president was, they are of the love and care of the teachers and the community. I didn't have grandparents on the Island, as well as a few of my classmates, and the fact that we invited Mr. & Mrs. Stambaugh to the grandparents lunch-in was just, Normal. They weren't only teachers, they are ISLAND FAMILY.

I never had Ms. Wilk as a teacher, but I got to listen to a great speech she wrote at Banquet. She was inspiring and personalized her speech so that she could talk to the students as a whole, and also each individually. She knew them so well, she even described my sister perfectly and in some ways better than I could. Isn't that a teacher you'd want to teach your daughter, son, cousin, sibling, etc..

The school has gone through MANY teachers in the past years. Some only come for a couple years (or less) and either leave because they don't like the Island life, or are fired because they just aren't the right fit...so why not keep the ones that are good and want to stay? Why aren't more people on the Island speaking up? Who cares if your friends will get mad at you if you speak up, or maybe your family members don't agree...they will get over it..be your own person and voice your opinion!
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

Maybe there aren't more comments because most people get it and only a few don't. If the logic being applied to your argument is valid then it could be said that island kids should stay on the island and not come to the mainland and take a job from someone there. Oh, I know that wouldn't be fair to the island kids, but yet there are those that want it both ways. Please don't tell me I'm not from the island and I don't understand. Some of us mainland people get it too....let the flames begin.
brittanybousquet

Post by brittanybousquet »

Yes, maybe I took a job from someone in Lansing when I moved here, but there are HUNDREDS of job openings in this area as well as many other areas around Lansing. The Island has very limited job openings and you can't just commute 30 min to another city that may be hiring. If you don't get a job there you have to move off (unless you have some other random way to fund your bills). So to some getting a job on the Island isn't just a job, it's trying to stay where you already live.
Tessa Jones

Post by Tessa Jones »

I agree with Brittany. We have brought up a lot of arguments in this post, but people fighting to stay where they LIVE is the most important. On the mainland, there are usually more than 10 jobs available at any given time, whereas here, there is very rarely 2 jobs at a time that are a steady source of income. I know that this is not always the case, but it seems to be a common pattern.
Tessa Jones
BICS Student
MarissaCrandall

ANOTHER thing that's important to point out is that in the summer when new jobs open up and islanders are able to get hired for them- the people here hire only from off island. I know a few businesses that ONLY hire from off island... why? Are islanders incompetent? NOPE! so what is this bull crap?
mcdonoughdiane

Post by mcdonoughdiane »

:shock:
Last edited by mcdonoughdiane on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

If I lived half way around the world and read the BI Forum, I would be very impressed that our younger generation is not afraid to speak up for what they feel is right, or in this case wrong. We should be proud that they are taking an interest in politics and real life issues as opposed to standing back for fear of what people might think. We should be encouraging them and not discouraging them. Several generations, mostly young people, have fought and died for freedom of speech that we enjoy. Let's hope that freedom remains alive and well on BI even when it exposes some tough issues.

Kirk
MarissaCrandall

Diane, I'm well aware of the fact that there are two sides to every argument (not story).... otherwise there wouldn't be an argument to make. I never said that there wasn't other sides. I was voicing my opinion. I, however, would just like to point out that this is a FORUM.... its meant solely for the use of spreading information. Hence the meaning of forum being- a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged. SOOO... PERSONALLY if you don't want to read about people venting, then this is the wrong website to visit anyways. And why would a person want to visit a place that is publicly venting? Because everyone everywhere vents.. its life, and if people base visiting the island solely on the fact that people here vent.... then they may want to rethink EVERYTHING.... I mean, literally, they might as well just stay inside their home, with no one around, no tv, no music, nothing... because everyone, everywhere, vents.

I get wrapped up in this kind of stuff because I went to school there... I had to deal with crap upon crap... upon MORE CRAP! And I once loved that school and everything that it stood for... and seeing that all go to crap, just isn't okay with me. The only way to make people aware of important issues is to voice it where people on, and off, the island can read and hear whats going on.... No one else was going to stand up and let them know, so i took it into my own hands and made a stand and a choice to tell people that THIS IS A PROBLEM...

THIS LAST PART GOES FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS SOMETHING NEGATIVE TO SAY ABOUT MY OPINION:
Life does have its ups and downs... I'm aware. Never once in this post was I being a 'bad' person.... my job isn't to rub off my "goodness" on other people.. my job is to do me, stand up for what I believe in and not care what others think about me.... SO... if you don't like what I'm posting, and you don't want to read about important issues on a forum.. either go on facebook and read about other things like- what someones making for dinner, or what their day consisted of.... or just.. DON'T CLICK ON POSTS THAT ARE FROM ME...

MarissaCrandall

For those that are unaware- Diane's post was edited--- SO please don't think I was just talking out of my butt. :)
You're Mom

Post by You're Mom »

Do we know who was hired and why? Or are we just taking it as a given that since an islander was not hired, the decision was wrong?