This is really happening again? Well--here's my two cents.

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

MarissaCrandall

This is really happening again? Well--here's my two cents.

Post by MarissaCrandall »

So, I have just recently been informed that yet ANOTHER BICS position has been given to an OFF ISLAND person again.. and not even one that anyone knows. I'm not here to beat around the bush--so if this makes anyone feel offended, maybe press the back button now :P

Obviously I no longer go to the school BUT that doesn't mean that I don't care about whats happening there. Why is it that people that live on the island and have made a home here are not being hired for jobs that they are qualified for? These are our loved ones, our friends and in some cases our family. Now, I'm not stirring the pot with unknown ingredients-- I have had personal experience with both people in which I have been informed about. One of which was even my teacher and I am so very PROUD to say that. SO I hope no one says that I don't know what I'm talking about when I say that BEAVER ISLAND COMMUNITY SCHOOL NEEDS TO GET THEIR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT!!!!

One woman in particular that I am talking about is very well known at BICS.. she works hard, has earned the trust of her students and co-workers, and it very very loved.

Over the years it has came to my attention that maybe BICS is becoming confused with the things that are important. We are a communityâ?¦ the STUDENTS needs come first- and in my direct opinion, I would have to say that what the students need is someone they can trust and someone they look up to and want to learn fromâ?¦. NOT someone that is temporary. Wouldn't it be nice if BICS could keep teachers that are AMAZING around? Like for instanceâ?¦. the Stambaugh's were there to watch their students grow. Or Mr. Myers whom was there when my BROTHERS were in school. Or how about Mrs. Robertâ?¦. who was my teacher straight up until middle school. These are the ones we come to love and trust.. NOT those who come and stay for a couple short years or even months. There has even been recent problems with teachers being hired from off island. SO MAYBE start with the ones that live here and that are qualified? Just an idea.

Ya know, I went through some pretty hard things throughout school--but I thank god that i had the amazing teachers that I did.. and that I didn't have to go through what those students are going through now. Finding a teacher as trustworthy and lovable as Ms. Wilk.. just doesn't happen everyday�� and I hope that she can find a place that will recognize her talent and will love her as much as I know all the students did at BICS
YvonneCrandall

Post by YvonneCrandall »

Well said Marissa
Beaver Island Gardens

Post by Beaver Island Gardens »

:(
Last edited by Beaver Island Gardens on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pam moxham

Post by pam moxham »

Thank you Marissa..coherent , well stated & accurate.

I wonder.... how many applied for the position/s?
Who decides to grant interviews?
Why weren't other qualified BI considered?
Why are there boards & committees ....YET one person has the say so on choosing?

Please folks , don't send me an email telling me you're disappointed and upset I wrote these questions here . I voiced an opinion on other important issues and that was a response I received and yet THOSE questions were never answered.

This is a forum...let us have some answers please.

thanks,
pam.
cindyr

Post by cindyr »

My experience with Jenna Wilk was outstanding.
She took a program that was foundering and made it a huge success. She gave back confidence to parents, students and educators who had started to question the value (and fun!) of the after-school programs. She inspired enthusiasm for whatever task was at hand, and it was clear that she was loved and appreciated by her students. I cannot imagine a job in BICS that she would not have excelled at.
We lost a wonderful educator and community member when we let Jenna Wilk go.
Cindy
Terry Frysinger

Post by Terry Frysinger »

As a parent, grandparent, taxpayer and retired teacher I expect school boards to hire the people that are the best qualified to be in the classroom. Where someone lives has absolutely nothing to do with their ability to educate children and should not be a criterion used in the hiring process.
E T

Post by E T »

Terry, I concur with you 100% and not only for teachers, but for all positions as they become available. Everybody on the Island, and most people in the U.S. came from somewhere else. We would not want ourselves, our sons, our daughters, our grandkids, excluded from a position they aspire to because they did not originate from where the position is available.
Ed Troutman
38280 Beaver Drive
Beaver Island, Michigan 49782
MarissaCrandall

Ya knowâ?¦.. this has happened time after time-- before posting PLEASE read all information carefully. THIS POST IS NOT ONLY ABOUT WHERE SOMEONE IS HIRED FROMâ?¦

Now-- I'm not a disrespectful person towards others at all.. but when people are taking things and twisting themâ?¦ its hard to not become frustrated. I went to BICSâ?¦. I EXPERIENCED FIRST-HAND how amazing Ms. Jenna Wilk isâ?¦ Maybe you missed the part where I said that she is qualified, loved, and trusted in our school. Here on Beaver Island-- we do things a little differentlyâ?¦ its called being a community and coming together to support and care for one another.

I was recently informed that someone that was qualified and has worked in our school before DIDN'T EVEN GET AN INTERVIEWâ?¦... :shock:
This seriously leaves me outraged, confused, and very very sad. I'm not saying that just because someone is from the island means that they should get the job handed to them.. BUT I AM MOST CERTAINLY saying that someone from the island that is qualified and trusted should be hired over someone that lives off island��.

Maybe I, along with MANY others, just view the island life differentlyâ?¦ the way I see it is there are limited jobs hereâ?¦.. limited incomeâ?¦ and a whole LOT of people (especially during the summer) YET we keep hiring from off island and leaving these people that have made a home here- jobless. Why? Because we want to try someone new?

AND BEFORE READING TO FAR: I just want to clearly state that I am in NO way belittling the new teacher-- nor do I want her to feel that this is her fault- or problem in any way.. I congratulate her-- but what she will come to learn is that this tiny community isn't as tight knit as it seems as as it once was.

I was just telling someone about my experience with teachers just from late middle school on up. I had Matt Ritchie, Timothy Eaton, Marianne Brown, Anna and Dan Martell, Glen Cashman, and Many substitutes that have came and wentâ?¦.. Nowâ?¦ call me crazy-- but thats a lot within 5-6 yearsâ?¦.

Now we get to lose an amazing teacher and community member because the principal wanted to hire someone that HE knewâ?¦. Interesting.
KaylynJ

Post by KaylynJ »

Terry,

For the most part I agree with what you're saying. However, as someone who has experienced Jenna Wilk's talents as well as having been taught by her, I can speak personally about the profound inspiration and impact she has on people. I walked away from those two months with her in English class having learned more than ever before and feeling better about myself and my abilities as well. Jenna is a person that cares about the students for who they are, not just about the paycheck as so many today do.

And as for the best people getting a job no matter where they live... call it playing favorites, call it nepotism, I don't care - Island residents deserve first pick at these jobs. It's hard enough to make a living here without having to worry that someone off the island might get it instead of you.
Kaylyn Jones
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Three words: "Home Schooling" :!: :wink: It worked for me. :wink: :wink:
Skull&CrossBones
Tessa Jones

Post by Tessa Jones »

I agree with Marissa and Kaylyn. Everything that they have said is true. These people from other places probably already had steady jobs, but then they came in and took jobs away from people on the island who barely know if they are going to be able to work or not.

Besides that, Ms. Jenna Wilk has already proven that she can be trusted as well as inspiring. The kids she would be teaching this next school year and a few years after that, already know her. She ran the after-school program solely to make those kids happy. They loved her. I think those kids deserved to get a teacher they know and love.

Also, wouldn't you think that if your "department" is now gone, and there is a new job within the school system that you are perfectly qualified for, that your boss would be at least willing to give you a decent shot to keep your job in that school? I know that that could get confused with favoritism and all that, but she still should have had a better chance than someone from a state across the country.

I heard there were other applicants from the island that did not even get a chance. I just...no. And it does raise a little bit of suspicion when I hear that these new staff members were hired from places like Alaska. I do still congratulate them, but if we are such a small island that not many people have heard of, how did someone so far away hear about this job offer? I'm not going to go on and assume, because that does not make me or you look very good. So, that's all I have to say.
Tessa Jones
BICS Student
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

BIHS

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

I was thinking of a long post here but this is what it boils down to: You CAN'T always get what you want. When you DO get what you want someone else is not getting what they want. When you DON'T get want you want- IT'S NOT FAIR!
Jim Campbell
MarissaCrandall

We'll Jim I'm actually quite aware that this isn't second grade so yeah "you can't always get what you want" but in this case it isn't even about that it's about getting what they deserved... And they didn't deserve to be pushed aside... Let's not be immature about the situation :) cause that's ALSO not what this is about.
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

BIHS

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

IT'S A LESSON IN LIFE-LIKE IT OR NOT.
Jim Campbell
KaylynJ

Post by KaylynJ »

Ah, the infamous "life's not fair" lesson. No one said that life was fair. Recent events involving Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 prove that. But why should we sit back and take it? Shouldn't we try our best to make things more fair when we get the chance?

Maybe I'm just naive, who knows. But hey, if you're content sitting back and just accepting that "life isn't fair" by all means, go ahead.
Kaylyn Jones