I Dream of the Island - The Original Song

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Nich

Post by Nich »

Recently uploaded to my YouTube page
The Nicholas Tube
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNichTube/videos

This is the original re-created song that was used for the pictorial video about Beaver Island. I was asked to create a video for the Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce. The song and pictorial video were both created by me, but the pictorial video was produced by the Chamber of Commerce. I had begun the original writing of the song years earlier. When the Chamber approached me about the pictorial video, I began rewriting this song for the specific purpose. The Chamber was extremely helpful with advice, additional information about Beaver Island, and helping to verify the development of the video throughout the process. The Chamber and I agreed that the song should have a pounding Celtic rhythm. I think I came pretty close to what they wanted. This song was created from my heart, and my deep love of living in such a beautiful place like Beaver Island!

I should note that many of the photographs that are included in the pictorial video were generously donated by many of the Islanders, and other people who have enjoyed visiting Beaver Island. If you watch the pictorial video, (See the link below), watch the credits at the end to see all of the people who contributed many of the beautiful photographs that were used!

I have been approached several times through e-mail, from other musicians coming to the island and wishing to play the song while they are here. Though I retain the original artist's and recording copyrights to the song, if you wish to learn and play the song while you are here, you have my permission! The "original song video" contains the lyrics and guitar chords in the video description, below the video. If you wish to use the song for any other purpose, please contact me at the e-mail address below. I am always open to new ideas and endeavors.

Ted Nicholas
nich01@tds.net

How did I do this?
All aspects of the song were created by me, singing and playing my guitar into my laptop computer, in my small shed/studio here on Beaver Island. My audio software, "GarageBand", allows me to have as many audio tracks as I wish. (Until my computer runs out of memory) :-) All of the tracks are usable, recordable, and playable all at once. The software also comes with many excellent virtual sound font instruments, plus I downloaded many more from online. Virtual sound font instruments are "not" computer-generated. They are actual instruments recorded one note for each note of the scale. In the software, I can view any virtual instrument track as a piano roll. Kind of like the old player pianos, except that it stretches from side to side, Beginning of the song to the end of the song. It allows me to compose with real instruments, one note at a time. Because of my past musical experience, years of piano lessons, and even playing in a stringed orchestra for a few years (Violin and cello), I was able to place the notes where I needed them easily and tweaked them constantly to sound more like a natural performance. Things like, stutter notes (32nd note in front of the actual note), moving some notes slightly off time, and varying the melody and performance from one measure to the next. I can even change the volume structure of each note individually, to create emphasis or crescendo anywhere that I wish. The original song was over one month in the creation process. I am definitely a tweaker at heart! :-)

The song features two vocal tracks, two 12 stringed guitar tracks, and many virtual sound font instruments, including; a classical picked guitar, Celtic flute, fill stringed orchestra, fill bass strings, viola and solo violin, back-fill cellos, Celtic drums, kettle drums, a complete drum kit, stand up crash cymbal, and a tambourine. See the "Discussions" tab on my YouTube page for more info about how I create my songs.

I hope you enjoy the original "I Dream of the Island" song!

Look for the original song,
"I Dream of the Island" here:
The Nicholas Tube
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNichTube/videos

To watch the original pictorial video, created by Ted Nicholas. Produced and hosted by
The Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce
http://www.beaverisland.org/beaver-island-video/

Or watch it and the trailer on my original YouTube page.
Check out my past artwork, photography and more of my music while you are there.
Ted Nicholas - TNicholas01 Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/TNicholas01/videos

To find out more about Beaver Island, visit the Chamber's website at:
The Beaver Island Chamber of Commerce
http://www.beaverisland.org

I won't post anymore updates on the
Beaver Beacon Forum (unless requested to do so) :-) as I don't wish to detract from the important events being posted here about Beaver Island. I have several more Beaver Island songs that I have written, and many more songs that I will be uploading throughout the summer. Keep an eye on my YouTube page "The Nicholas Tube" for many more to come.

Wow, my dictation software works really good! (Can you tell?) I'll stop now, my throat is getting sore.

"Computer" "What?"
"Send" Whoosh :-)
Ted Nicholas
nich01@tds.net