Governor Candidate Visits the Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Governor Candidate Visits the Island

Post by Gillespie »

Last Saturday, Dick DeVos, candidate for Michigan Governor came to the island and stayed for a few hours. He was warmly received by a large crowd at the home of John and Phyllis Haggard. After meeting many people he took time to point out his reasons for running and what we need to do to get the State of Michigan back on track. It is nice to know that Beaver Island is gaining respect in the political world. I have long thought we should have a "State House" on Beaver Island to remind our politicos that they can come here and not just to the other "Island".
Crazy Charlie

See the real DICK

Post by Crazy Charlie »

Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Charlie, by your assertion it is true, and it may be, just as things like this are true of hundreds and hundreds of companies. The debate could be made of whether he (or anyone else) does it by choice or by force of the free trade agreements that have been established around the world on a bipartisan basis. Now everyone that supported them are running for cover. I notice that the site you presented was a democratic party site. I was only acknowledging the fact that the man came and made reasonable remarks. I did not present it as a partisan comment. I don't want to turn this into a witch hunt which you have initiated. I will leave your post up for a few days so no one thinks we are picking on you, if you choose after that to post your own reasoned thought that will be welcome but not cartoons based on the "findings" of any political party Republican or Democrat. For that matter in looking up your membership it is interesting to note you don't even use a name that might help us all to know who you are. That too is a little beneath the pale.
Jmcbain

Post by Jmcbain »

Rich â?? I am not saying Charlie is right, but by what reasoning do you have to even threaten to take down Charlie's reply? Many people have posted cartoons and games on this site. Since when is that a violation of any terms of use?
Yours,
McBain
Crazy Charlie

I'm confused

Post by Crazy Charlie »

Which part bothers you, the funny or the true?
jflanagan

Forum Behavior

Post by jflanagan »

As a somewhat rabid Democrat and an opponent of the current flavor of the republican party I'm still upset by this thread.
:(

First, This is a private BBS. The managers can remove anything they wish.

Second, I don't see why someone shouldn't comment on a candidates visit to the Island. I don't think over the top politics should be allowed. we've seen several nasty discussions on this board when that happened and they had nothing to do with Beaver Island.

Also, most forums have a set of posting rules (see here for a favorite forum of mine: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/rules.asp?forum=1000 )

The four rules posted below seem most appropriate.

# Be civil - anyone being abusive, calling names or generally trying to stir up trouble will not be tolerated. If you think someone is wrong it may be because they are new, don't jump on them, think first. If you are repeatedly abusive you will be banned from these forums.

# Flame / Attacks - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks or self-promoting messages.

# Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages are not welcome.

# Bashing - Deliberately and repeatedly bashing the same brand, product or company will get you banned. If you have a complaint or comment to make then make it once and make sure you have facts to support it. :( :(
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Flanagan pretty much sums it up for me Jeremy, I was showing gratitude for the fact a candidate for "high office" took the time to show up here. I purposely avoided naming parties because I don't give a damn about either one. The fact that I tend to be conservative in my thinking leads me to the right I know but that doesn't mean I or anyone else have to be labled. I sure as heck don't appreciate the fact that C Charlie has to post a "cartoon" thinking he is providing meaningful dialog, its a bunch of crap and the fact that it comes from the "Michigandems" or whatever website is bull. And, as Flanagan points out, I did start the thread and I do believe that reasonable rules of decorum should be applied, therefore I have every right to remove it from my thread. This topic was started by myself and I was showing gratitude not inviting some butthead to jump all over it, he can start his own thread if and when I do pull it. As always, I invite liberals or the left or whatever they want to call themselves to offer solutions not criticism, what was the first reply posted? Crap. Sad!
Jmcbain

Post by Jmcbain »

Look, regardless of whether you or Flanagan think it is "crap" there was nothing offensive about the cartoon. It may not be a valid arguement to your statement, but it was "charlie's" arguement he decided to post nonetheless. Whether it came from the Democratic party, the Republican party or the Green party is moot. Much worse has been said on this board â?? stuff that would make lawyers jump for joy â?? that did not get removed. The picking and choosing that goes on with this board would make me very nervous if I was the board's owner â?? gladly I am not.
Furthermore it is wrong to say this is a private BBS. This board can be seen by anyone surfing the internet. A private BBS is one where you can not see the forum unless you are a member of the board â?? of which there are many on the net.
What I do hear you saying is because you started the thread and you did not like the reply you feel as though you have the ability to censor the thread. Does anyone else on this board that starts a thread have that same ability? Probably not unless they are a moderator. And if they did, what would that say about the board being a free exchange of ideas if everyone gets to delete or keep posts based on their beliefs on what is "meaningful dialog."
If charlie is a troll, then he is a troll. The best thing to do is either a) suspend his account or b) â?? the best choice â?? ignore him. We are all adults here and have â?? at least I thought â?? thick skins.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

I think you misunderstand me. I enjoyed the cartoon. I just don't think this is the place for it. And when I said private, I was talking about in terms of ownership and law. Just as you and I can hold anykind of sign up in downtown St. James, outside of Shamrocks but the owners of shamrocks get to decide what gets put up inside the place.

I'd further agree that there is no consistent policy about such matters here and personally I'd be more comfortable if there was.

However, the owner of this forum has every right to run it in anyway they seem fit. I have the right to visit or not. And when I see things that bug me I use my own thick skin to ignore them.

But, as someone who has managed a forum (in those dark ages called a bbs) as a volunteer. I do hope we all appreciate all the hard work that goes into managing this one and support them in their efforts.

jim
Crazy Charlie

gee..

Post by Crazy Charlie »

Sorry, didn't mean to tee off anyone, I just thought this was funny.
No matter your view, you have to admit this is pretty clever.

By the way, I'm all about playing by the rules - just let me know what they are.

CC
Marie S Powers

Post by Marie S Powers »

Note: This forum is hosted on our server, but the topics and posts do not necessarily express our views. The point of this forum is to allow everyone to post their thoughts and ideas, talk about Beaver Island and all things related, and have a place to chat with other Beaver Island folks. We do not moderate posts based on whether we agree or disagree with a particular topic. Everyone is invited and encouraged to post. The only rules are:
1.) Please be kind and considerate, and keep the forum constructive.
2.) Please either register or include your name with your post. We value everyone's right to express their views, but especially in cases where someone else may be negatively impacted by a post or where the lack of a name causes confusion, posts without a name or signature may be deleted.
3.) Please keep the forum clean and appropriate for any age. Posts intended to offend others will be deleted.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Has anyone seen the new commercial Devos just placed on television (saw it this morning) debunking the "Shifting jobs to China" hyperbole? I know that he has tried to keep his company out of the politics which must be difficult but finally had to answer the claims. Turns out they had to build a plant in China in order to do business and sell products in China, states that they never eliminated a job in Michigan to do anything there. I suppose he is lying about that?
RickB

Post by RickB »

I do not claim to be Demorcrat or Republican, I will vote for who I think will do the best job. The only sign you will ever see in my front yard will be an address or "For Sale" sign. But who knows, maybe there are folks out there that will vote for someone just because thier neighbor is.

I did not see the commercial but I did work for Mr. Devos during the time his corporation entered the China market. The plant did have to be established in order to enter the market, much the same as Asian Corporations have established plants here. Jobs in the Michigan plant were not lost, in fact we worked overtime to meet the new demand and it actually created many new positions. The Proprietary ingredients were mixed and packaged right in Ada Michigan then shipped to China.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

Rick,

Could you clarify who you are? You seem to have joined the forum to day specifically to make this post? You could not have been reading the forum before and you have provided no email or other identifying into. Do you still work for the candidate? are you working for his election? How did you become aware of this thread.

Sorry for so many questions but your joining the forum + posting we so coincidental that I just have to ask?
RickB

Post by RickB »

Hello Mr. Flanagan,

I prefer not to disclose personal info on the net. But I will answer your questions so you might rest better.
I am no longer employed with the candidate, though it was a great place to work I chose to terminate my employment for personal reasons. I have been reading this forum since it was established. I have made one post, I had to change my screen name because I could not remember my password. Even if I did join the forum just to post something I don't think it is illegal but maybe we should ask the forum lawyer? I reside on Beaver Island 1 mile West of the boat dock, if you run into water you have went to far. I do not make many posts, I learned in kindergarten that if you don't have something good to say about someone keep it to your self. You might just get punched in the nose. My post on the subject of Mr. Devos and China do not have anything to do with my political belief or who I feel should be in office.