In the "Spirit" of the Season...

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Patrick S. McGinnity

In the "Spirit" of the Season...

Post by Patrick S. McGinnity »

I am currently seeking stories of ghosts, goblins, banshees, and things that go bump in the night, with a focus on Beaver Island (well, the whole archipelago, really). The goal is to produce a volume of Island legends and stories of the mysterious and unexplained. I am not looking for original fiction, but for legends, ghost stories passed down in families, alien visitations, generally things that either you believe, or someone at some time believed to be true.

I certainly welcome recent stories of supernatural happenings, but am especially interested in any recollections of stories told and retold by past generations -- things like banshees, which the Irish settlers would likely have brought with them from the old country. I'd also like to know about any places with particularly otherworldly or supernatural associations or reputations, either historically or today.

I have begun compiling a list of houses with stories of this sort attached to them, and will need not just the accounts of spooky happenings, but also as much as I can get about the history of each property and its previous owners.

As you can see, I'm casting a rather wide net, and will be happy to entertain stories first, second, third, or even fourth hand (or more). The stories that make it into the book will be the ones that are corroborated by historical accounts and or multiple witnesses over time.

If you have something to share, or if you have any leads to help me find someone who might, please do let me know. I will be more than happy to keep the sources for particular stories confidential, and any properties mentioned in the work will generally be referred to by their historic occupants, rather than their current owners/renters. Anyone who doesn't mind appearing in print will, of course, get credit for their contributions to the project. Feel free to respond on this thread, to send me a private message, to call me at 448-2125, or to just track me down for a chat.

Thanks everyone, and

Happy Halloween!!!
sallys

In the "Spirit" of the Season

Post by sallys »

Ask the kids (6th grade and up), they think the school is haunted! No joke!