Before 1955 and the "Beaver Beacon"...

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

matthew

Before 1955 and the "Beaver Beacon"...

Post by matthew »

...Were there any other newspapers on the island? I see from the Library of Michigan's catalogue there was a Northern Islander in the 1850's, but that's way off for the information I want. Anything in the 1940's?

Thanks!
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Matthew, what kind of information are you looking for?
matthew

Post by matthew »

The sort of now-obscure social briefs that used to be a staple of small town newspapers of yore. (i.e. "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith are entertaining friends from Anytown, USA.") Gossip, basically.

My great-great grandparents (Arthur & Ethel Miller) lived on the island for a while. If there was a Beaver Island paper that published social news, I thought it might be interesting to try to read about some of their comings and goings.

I have looked more carefully through all the Beaver Island subject listings in the Library of Michigan catalogue now, and I assume there wasn't a Beaver Island newspaper at the time. (And if there was, archived issues would most likely not be easily accessible for me, anyway.)
matthew

Nevermind!

Post by matthew »

Well, nevermind that. The answer to my question was plainly imprinted in the header of most of the issues of The Beaver Beacon I browsed in the archives in Lansing today.

Thanks, anyway!

=============

Loved the report about the first robin in February, 1971... very droll. :D

"Last month a report was received from Archie, at the Shamrock, that a robin was perched on the window box at the tavern. Occasionally, objects viewed through the windows of the Shamrock, from the inside, are somewhat distorted, so we held off reporting it until we had more varification..."
Joyce

Post by Joyce »

The Library of Michigan (LOM) has the Charlevoix newspapers back to 1879 on microfilm.

There is often Beaver Island news reported. You might find a reference to your people there.
BIHS volunteer
matthew

Post by matthew »

Thanks for the suggestion, Joyce. :-) I hadn't thought of that.
Joyce

Post by Joyce »

You are welcome.

Good luck!
BIHS volunteer