There may be a wireless broadband solution for Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

TD

There may be a wireless broadband solution for Beaver Island

Post by TD »

:roll: There may be a wireless broadband solution in the works. I have been in touch with technical experts in wireless rural broadband roll-out. If you want/need high speed interent access to your island home or cottage I need to know.
e-mail me at beaverislandmikado@yahoo.com.

Where, when, what and if will be based on consumer interest and need.. If you e-mail me please include your location and how many months a year you would require this service.

Wireless interent access may be limited at first; with access preferences given to East siders based on location. Those that contact me early will be on top of the list, bandwidth may also be limited at first. :lol:
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Lucky east-siders :-)

Sounds great! If you come up with a solution that will ever reach Barney's Lake road, count me in for two!
TD

Post by TD »

If the numbers work we may be down Barney's Lk Rd sooner rather than later. If we plan to grow to big to fast I'm sure the start-up cost will kill us. I'm looking at some mesh networking technologies and a Barney's Lake Rd. locations may help get across Font Lake into the Donegal Bay neighborhoods. Around How many potential year round and temporary users do you think there are out that way? If you're near some high terrain over there I'd Like to check it out. :idea:
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Keep in mind you can get high speed subscribers around the harbor too. There are numerous people who cannot get a high speed wireless modem even though the connection exists for the harbor area. We have called these people countless countless times and they won't even return a call (too many bigger fish to fry on the mainland). You would probably be able to get some help on the cost if the system were coming.
Red

Wireless

Post by Red »

Any chance of it coming out to the Munciple Airport Region? Paedeennog and Old Fox Lake Areas?
TD

West Side Wireless

Post by TD »

Red, it would be great if we could light-up the entire island with wireless. Right now we're investigating getting an internet feed that can be used for wireless service that won't break the bank. After we've secured a backhaul we'll need to setup service in areas that have higher population densities. I've got my eye on the East Side and harbor for starters. If there's an affordable way to bring high speed internet to your area I'll do it. I'm curious how much would you be willing to pay a month for a high speed internet connection? Dial-up with a second phone line runs about $45 a month.

:?: Anyone that may want a high speed internet connection on Beaver Island should contact me. I need to know what and where the market for this service is on island. If you have a need for a high speed internet on Beaver Island, whether its year round, seasonal, or occassional Hot Spot use, email me: beaverislandmikado@yahoo.com
BobTidmore

High Speed Internet

Post by BobTidmore »

The Great Lakes Energy magazine this month mentions a survey for its members. Some of the questions deal with high-speed internet and if there is an interest for that service. Itâ??s on their web site, www.gtlakes.com . You will need your account number.

Bob Tidmore
lucky1z

WildBlue

Post by lucky1z »

GREAT NEWS :!: :!: :!:

:D Hi, My name is Fred Hastings - Your Certified Installer :D

There is now a certified Installer that covers Beaver Island.
Have YOUR OWN :!: wireless internet by satellite. The equipment is priced very reasonable, for 300.00 you can be online with high speed. Though you know you as the customer have to pay for the ferry ride and downtime, all you need is a ladder. I will put everything I need into a bin to save on transporting my truck, and you can pick me up at the dock and take me to your house or place of bussiness.

Call Wildblue Directly 1-866-945-3258
or you can call me with any questions 1-734-642-9225

Thank You Fred Hastings
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Hi Fred - I'm really really happy with my wildblue system too, but I wouldn't call satellite the same as wireless due to the 500 ms difference in latency :) But until a lower latency system can be accomplished locally, it's great!

(There is also the option to have a system installed through Midwest Energy (269-445-1112 and tell them you're on Beaver Island) without having to pay for the Ferry ride, but either way I consider it a bargain.) Also don't mean to disrespect your post and am very happy to see more wildblue installers up this way, but thought I would mention Midwest Energy since they did a really great job with my system.
lucky1z

Midwest Energy

Post by lucky1z »

Hi Jeff,

I also know all about the wireless internet they offer. From what I understand it is for people that live on the east side of the island, and if they have a 100% clear line of site. Do you have both Wildblue and Midwest ? I have installed 3 WB systems for people that had wireless from LightHouse ISP in Sault Saint Marie and they said they like the WB system better because of rain fade-weather seems to affect the wirless systems way befor it ever does with the WB. That is because of the spotbeam technology. There are 36 powerfull spotbeams that cover the United States.
This service is for people that are serious and want the best system out on the market including a solid signal and of corurse live in rural areas.
lucky1z

Midwest Energy

Post by lucky1z »

Hi Jeff,

I forgot to ask you why should I call Midwest and tell them i am comming over ?
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Jeff, Isn't Al Becker installing Wild Blue locally? I know he did so for the BITA?
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

lucky1z wrote:Do you have both Wildblue and Midwest ?
Midwest Energy is an NRTC co-op who installs Wildblue service just like you do as a retailer :) I talked them into coming up to the Island last September before the retail installations were going - I believe the NRTC co-ops got the first chance because of NRTC's investment in wildblue at the start.
Gillespie wrote:Jeff, Isn't Al Becker installing Wild Blue locally? I know he did so for the BITA?
Yes! I'm really happy Al agreed to install wildblue this spring and has a meter, a couple dishes/trias, etc. on the Island in case the unexpected happens with a wildblue system - I think it's a real asset. Al installs systems on the Island if they are purchased through Midwest Energy - 269-445-1112
lucky1z

Wildblue

Post by lucky1z »

Hi Jeff and Gillespie,,, I was going to get NRTC certified just to install for a wholsale company in the soo. The only differance is to set the homepage to theres. The installation is the same, im sure you know that. Although they charge the customers 300+ for the equipment and 175 for the install. If a customer goes through Wildblue directly they pay nothing for the install. As far as Al getting all the installs it is a firt come firs serve. It is all in who the customer calls. If I was a customer I would want the warranty to be covered directly through Wildblue.

Thank You Fred Hastings
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Although they charge the customers 300+ for the equipment and 175 for the install. If a customer goes through Wildblue directly they pay nothing for the install.
As far as I know your information here is incorrect -- installations through the NRTC have always been free with the total setup cost being the $299 for equipment. (Pole mounts if requested or necessary are extra, but I believe that is true for both retail and NRTC)

I think it's great there are plenty of options and I'm glad you're so interested in the work too - a very nice change for the customer from the days when we had to beg to get installers to come over to the Island.

I only mentioned Al and Midwest Energy because he is already on the Island so no transportation costs, and he's on the Island with a meter, etc. if there is a problem.

Where exactly are you located, and if someone needs service after the fact, what would be your response time to set foot on the Island from the time the call for a truck roll is placed?
If I was a customer I would want the warranty to be covered directly through Wildblue.
On the wildblue.com site the warranty states that for outdoor equipment or realignment after 90 days, standard labor rates apply. What would you charge to come over to the Island to do a realignment if necessary?
The only differance is to set the homepage to theres.
Have not seen an installation where they set the homepage to theirs. However there are slight differences which you have not mentioned that you may be able to use to your advantage:
1.) retail customers get @wildblue.net email accounts instead of @mwconnections.com
2.) the contract is only 12 months through retail (is this correct through you?) instead of 24 months through Midwest

On the other hand, the Midwest Energy people (who are familiar with the Island from the Wolverine power days) have been really really great and were so concerned with my satisfaction that I feel they are a real asset to have on my side.

And for me, having an installer on the Island trumps everything else. If the dish is blown slightly out of alignment by a winter storm for example, I'm confident I could talk Al into coming out with a meter and realign ASAP -- I'm not so confident that I would be a mainland installer's #1 priority way out here, plus if the Ferry isn't running it would cost $100 just for the flight vs. having a person with a meter available on-Island. Now of course, nothing should go wrong ever, no water should ever get in connectors, no dishes should ever need to be realigned, but things happen so it's nice having someone on the Island with the skill and tools to deal with it.

Again, I'm thrilled that you're interested in Island business. That's great. If it were me though with all major factors equal, I'd choose an on-Island installer to an off-Island installer if possible. Both are good options though in my book.