Roads

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

ronaldstanfield

Roads

Post by ronaldstanfield »

Can anyone tell me why at least the north south main roads are not paved, it makes no sense. we were on the island. last week things were so dusty. it is good for me cause it makes for dirty windows. That is the number one complaint i hear from people who visit the island they say that is one reason they won,t be back. maybe someone can enlighten me.
K.A. Pike

Post by K.A. Pike »

If someone isn't coming back because a road isn't paved, they're missing the point of coming in the first place. We've been coming every summer for 8 years because of the way it is.
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Most people come here to get away from the "Concrete Jungle" that they live in. The pace is meant to be slower and the dust washes off but I have heard quite a few people that leave their cars dusty when leaving so they can take some of Beaver Island home with them. Come here and enjoy the beauty, ride around the island, roll the windows down, smell the fresh air, feel the dust in your hair, hear the waves roll onto the shore and think that it is all part of the experience.
Rahn

Post by Rahn »

Another reason we like the unpaved roads is that it helps to keep the traffic slower.
ronaldstanfield

Roads

[quote="Rahn"]Another reason we like the unpaved roads is that it help What about the damage that is done to our cars Dust gets into the working parts, and the damage is done. not to mention the body rust from the chemical deicer and dirt . And what about the speeder going 40 spewing up so much dust that the cars behind him cannot see. The week i was there it was like a dust bowel . But idon,t mind the dust it is job Security for me
ronaldstanfield

Sheri Timsak wrote:Most people come here to get away from the "Concrete Jungle" that they live in. The pace is meant to be slower and the dust washes off but I have heard quite a few people that leave their cars dusty when leaving so they can take some of Beaver Island home with them. Come here and enjoy the beauty, ride around the island, roll the windows down, smell the fresh air, feel the dust in your hair, hear the waves roll onto the shore and think that it is all part of the experience.

One cannot have fresh air ,and dust at the same time. the two don,t mix Like having clean water and dirty water at the same time
ronaldstanfield

roads

Rahn wrote:Another reason we like the unpaved roads is that it helps to keep the traffic slower.
I agree but it does not slow most drivers down.
kateg

roads

Post by kateg »

I was visiting the island in June and again for the 4th of July holiday. I was shocked at the poor upkeep of the roads, not only with the lack of dust control, but how bumpy the roads were. I have no problem with dirt roads if they are maintained properly. I found them to be very dangerous. When cars were coming in the opposite direction on East Side drive, there were many times that I couldn't see people walking or biking due to the dust. Of all of the years I have lived on or visited the island, I can't remember the roads being so bad.
Kathie Gonyeau
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

Ronaldstanfield- glass half empty- glass half full - I prefer to see it half full and yes I can breath the fresh air and the dust at the same time. This island was dust when my grandparents lived here and the advantages we get from living/working here far out weigh the little bit of dust I may have to put up with. I appreciate all this island, my home has to offer, which is alot, but I am done trying to get my point across since many people can't see the forest for the trees.
Michelle LaFreniere

Post by Michelle LaFreniere »

I have to say something here... The roads are VERY well maintained. Our road crew does a damn fine job! The problem lies in the fact that as soon as they grade and put down dust control, people start driving fast again. If we would ALL just slow down a little bit, and be respectful of the dirt roads and the people that live on, drive , walk and bike on them. We could keep them a little nicer, for a little longer. I am sorry that you had a bad experience on our roads, and I agree, during peak times, the roads do seem "awful". Give us another chance. Come when not so many people are here, and, drive SLOW! It really is a great island, with great people.
kateg

Post by kateg »

I personally do drive slow. As you know I frequently drive my Dad's old car and I'm always afraid the steering will go out! Please don't think I am criticizing anyone and I don't even know who the road workers are. I am giving my opinion about the roads, whether it is because there has been a reduction in funds, or whatever. Everyone knows the island is a wonderful place and that the dirt roads are just a part of it's charm. Doesn't mean that there can't be some extra dust control or improvements. Enough said. I felt this was important to mention, but don't want it to turn out to be more than I intended.
Kathie Gonyeau
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

The road crew does an amazing job given the tools at their disposal. Charlevoix County has not provided a true road grader for the island. The crew scrapes the roads.

The townships do provide dust control and it is now down and doing its job. I love when the roads are not super dusty. I still love it here when they are dusty, but living on the south end gives me a great appreciation for dust control. Whn billows of dust are clouding one's vision, it is a bit unsettling to not be able to see what is coming.
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

The road crew does an amazing job given the tools at their disposal. Charlevoix County has not provided a true road grader for the island. The crew scrapes the roads.

The townships do provide dust control and it is now down and doing its job. I love when the roads are not super dusty. I still love it here when they are dusty, but living on the south end gives me a great appreciation for dust control. Whn billows of dust are clouding one's vision, it is a bit unsettling to not be able to see what is coming.
ronaldstanfield

Michelle LaFreniere wrote:I have to say something here... The roads are VERY well maintained. Our road crew does a damn fine job! The problem lies in the fact that as soon as they grade and put down dust control, people start driving fast again. If we would ALL just slow down a little bit, and be respectful of the dirt roads and the people that live on, drive , walk and bike on them. We could keep them a little nicer, for a little longer. I am sorry that you had a bad experience on our roads, and I agree, during peak times, the roads do seem "awful". Give us another chance. Come when not so many people are here, and, drive SLOW! It really is a great island, with great people.
I will be back soon to clean Windows i love Beaver Island and the People. who live there. I did try to drive slow when we were there but Idiots tried to pass me Gave me the finger I have a big truck of course I did not get over . Most of the problem is with Illinois Drivers. Dirty roads are like job Security for Dirty Roads = dirty Windows
Campbell60tr34@aol.com

Roads

Post by Campbell60tr34@aol.com »

The problem will go away in about 40 days and then we will all be bitching about being broke. Happens every year.
Jim Campbell