Gaelic Games

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

LisaG

Gaelic Games

Post by LisaG »

I asked Steve West if the Gaelic games were scheduled for this Fall and was told that they were not but we could get a group or committe together and reestablish them. He said there would be some funds to bring them over, but not enough to cover there whole cost of the event. I would be willing to work on a committe to start it up again, but not willing to do the whole thing myself. If anyone is interested in helping getting this up and going again let me know on the forum or call me @ 2888. Thanks :wink:
Last edited by LisaG on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa Vance-Gillespie
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Having the Celtic Games return to BI, America's emerald isle, would be outstanding. The Chamber should know the people and money it will return to the Island and a great event for them to help finance. I may not be able to work prior to the games but count me in on a financial contribution when the games are confirmed.

Kirk D. McBride
Owen

Post by Owen »

What about the tourist bureau handling the Celtic Games? Just a smaoineamh. :idea:
Last edited by Owen on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piper

Post by piper »

Grand Traverse Pipes & Drums would be interested.

E-mail to me at any time: jackfell@umich.edu
Esteban

Post by Esteban »

I will not only attend, but contribute if BI can take the ball and run with it. Great pipes & drums!
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Lisa, I think the Forum is a good place to get the discussion underway. A few quick thoughts:
1. The Chamber should have a lot of the organization details on hand from previous years so it will not have to be reinventing the wheel.
2. With the marathon no longer coming to the Island, the Chamber and sponsors of that event should have money in their budgets to contribute to the games.
3. Being a former marathoner, my guess is that the Celtic Games will bring in more discretionary spending than the marathon did.
4. I would recommend an event date prior to Labor Day so families with school age children can attend.
5. Contact Alma College who sponsors one of the biggest Celtic festivals in the state so they can offer information and assure there would not be a conflicting date for the two events.
6. Start small with good organization and the event may in the future be extended to longer than a weekend, bringing in vendors, etc.
7. Housing is always a problem. I will propose to the PSJA Board that we offer the Stable Campgrounds for camping during the event.

I hope and encourage others to jump in on this posting with their ideas and suggestions.

Kirk D. McBride
Vickie

Post by Vickie »

What great ideas to try and pull this together. BI is such a great community with so many wonderful people. I can't help to think this could be pulled off with the help of some of the previous people that put the event on.
piper

Post by piper »

Alma Highland Festival is always Memorial Day weekend (May 25/26 in 2013).

Suggested: heavy athletic events, Irish and/or Scottish dance lessons and demos, rowboat races in the harbor, "kilted" golf tournament, cross-country foot race, Gaelic foods (locally prepared), and, of course, pipe band concert... could morph into an evening ceilidh.

Music: Gaelic fiddling, perhaps harping, button-box, penny whistle, etc.

Yes, lodging was always an issue; perhaps special "day trip" boats to/from Charlevoix to alleviate lodging shortage? Could offer "package" deals with hotels in Charlevoix, once the Island is booked full.

Must find some method of collecting at gate; free-will offering isn't sufficient.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Lisa, I forgot to mention the most important detail and that is to contact Jeremy McBain in Petoskey to help with input.

Kirk D. McBride
LisaG

Re: Gaelic Games

Post by LisaG »

LisaG wrote:I asked Steve West if the Gaelic games were scheduled for this Fall and was told that they were not but could get a group or committe together to resetablish them. He said there would be some funds to bring them over, but not enough to cover there whole cost of the event. I would be willing to work on a committe to start it up again, but not willing to do the whole thing myself. If anyone is interested in helping getting this up and going again let me know on the forum or call me @ 2888. Thanks :wink:
Lisa Vance-Gillespie