Cheyenne Point

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Anna

Cheyenne Point

Post by Anna »

I was reading through an online August 8,2004 issue of the Beaver beacon and on pages 20-23 was a article about the "Study Of The State Lake Michigan Shoreline Tracts.

Tract # 7 Cheyenne point caught my eye.

Does anyone know how this tract got it's name.

There's also a article on the Beaver Island website that talks about the Free Car Wash. Why is it or was it considered the Free Car Wash?

Anna
Sean

Post by Sean »

What website are you refering to on the car wash? First thing that came to my mind was the road around gull harbor. It was high and dry this past July when I drove around it from end to end for my first visit in years. I remember the years when you couldnt even go half way across. How long has the road been dry??Anyone?
Sean McDonough

Anna

Cheyenne/Free Car Wash

Post by Anna »

Hi Sean,
This is the webpage I was referring to. So can I assume that the picture you posted in your reply is about this Free Car Wash. This article does mention Gull Harbor.

Would you or anyone have any knowledge of why Gull Harbor was called or considered the Free Car Wash ?

http://www.beaverisland.net/Places/Free ... r_wash.htm

Anna
Sean

Post by Sean »

When the lake level is up you can drive your car into the lake Image Image There is a road on either end of Gull harbor. Dry years you can drive across the Harbor. Wet years it is a free car wash. Image Right now the free car wash is closed
Sean McDonough

Rich

Post by Rich »

Anna, Are you familiar with the island or intrigued? Everyone knows where the car wash was/is.
Anna

Rich

Post by Anna »

Rich,
Did we have a bad day today ? Gee whiz!! If I'm not causing any problems on the forum what's your problem ? All I did was innocently ask some questions about Cheyenne Point and the Free Car wash.. If no one else has a problem with my questions why are you making a issue of it.

I didn't see anything wrong with my questions. I've lived in Michigan all my life but,there's still things and places I've never visited before. I thought if someone wanted to learn and inquire about the Islands I thought the Beaver Island forum was a good place to do it. If we don't ask questions how does one learn.

Sorry I messed up your day.

From now on I'll contact William (Bill) Cashman at the Historical Society.

Anna
Trish Scott

Car Wash

Post by Trish Scott »

Anna,

There is a shallow, rocky area where you can drive your car into the lake. With a bucket, rag and old towels, you can toss buckets of water on your car and then dry it off. Hence, the term free car wash.

There is now a real car wash on the Island. For a few quarters, you can have hot water and soap. Not as fun, but it is more convenient.

Most of the roads are gravel and when the roads are very dry, your car gets dusty. Or when they are muddy, your car gets very dirty. It is tough to keep your car clean. But it is so laid back on the Island that you quickly forget all about it and just enjoy.

Trish
Trish Scott

Post by Trish Scott »

Sean,

I don't remember exactly how many years, but it has been at least five years (maybe more like seven) since the road through Gull Harbor was in the Lake.
Anna

Sean and Trish Scott

Post by Anna »

I just wanted to thank you both for your kind replies. :-)

It's obvious to me that most people know about the Free Car Wash and such. What better people to ask for info then the ones who reside on the Island..

I've only been on two Islands since I've lived in Michigan. Mackinac and Drummond Islands. As close as I've ever gotten to Beaver Island was when I drove to Charlevoix when I drove down from the Mackinac Bridge. I had no idea that one could take a ferry across the lake to the Island.

Until I'm able to visit the Island in person I guess I'll just have to keep reading the website. All the articles and pictures I'm sure don't do the Island justice but I've enjoyed scrolling through the Gallery.

Thanks Again.
Anna
Sean

Post by Sean »

You will have to vist the island someday. You wont regret it. I started visiting the island as a young kid. We always stayed at grandmas. Something just draws you back there even as a adult.
Check out the pics I got this past summer. http://www.gvtc.com/~mcdonoug/album4/index.html Only half the pics...I need to upload the rest.

Sean
Sean McDonough

Anna

Sean

Post by Anna »

While scrolling through the Gallery of recent pictures posted by unkle bik was a picture titled Beaver Head Southlight that looked similar to yours in # 9. Do you know if they're one and the same ?
Trish Scott

Anna

Post by Trish Scott »

Hello Anna,

You are most welcome. Beaver Island is very different from Mackinac and Drummond. It is magical.

We were there on vacation for two days and we started looking for property. We have a cottage there and spend as much time as possible there.

My husband keeps telling me to keep it quiet! If it got overrun like Mackinac, it would be a total shame. But I think it is safe from that fate, as it is not everyone's cup of tea.

One Islander described it as follows: You have to enjoy your own company to love Beaver Island.

It is a lovely place that invites introspection. If you need to be kept busy to distract yourself, you probably would fall into the category of hating the Island. If your idea of a perfect day is one spent at a mall you would hate Beaver.

If you love nature, fresh air and like to relax you would love it.

Trish Scott
Anna

Trish

Post by Anna »

Trish,
I know all about Mackinac Island and how it can become a pretty hectic place at times. I've visited it more then once in my countless trips to the UP area. As many times as I've been up that way I began to know the areas like the back of my hand. It's almost like my car knew which way to go. Whenever I would visit St Ignace or Mackinac Island I'd have to stop at one of their shops and buy their fudge cause it's so good. It's making me hungry just talking about it.Sometimes while on Mackinac Island I'd stop in front of the fudge shop and watch as they were making the fudge. Whenever I'd take a trip to the UP I always made a point to stop at the Driftwood in St Ignace and order their Whitefish. It tasted like they had just reached in the water and grabbed it.

As for someone loving their own company. There's times when I enjoy alot of people around and then there's times when I just want to be by myself,grab a good book and just plain get away from the hussle and bussle of the big city.Yes Trish I love nature and the out of doors. I come from along line of fishermen,hunters. and camper outers.My family did alot of camping and hunting in the UP. My father owned a 30.6 with a big scope and it was illeagal to shoot a rifle of that size in the lower parts of Michigan so up north we'd go.I've been known to throw a pretty mean baseball too in my day. I also know how to shoot a bow and arrow.I can bait my own hook and have cleaned many a fish.. My mother god bless her now she was something else. She was the one who would squirm even when she saw a little ole harmless snake. She loved to fish but she wouldn't bait her own hook but,she would take a fish off her hook. Go figure. I can remember spending more time baiting her hook then I did fishing.

This is getting kind of long so I'll sign off for now.

If you ever have a mind to and you want to write to me directly my email addy is;

eagle43591@yahoo.com

Anna
Sean

Post by Sean »

Originally posted by Anna:
[QB]While scrolling through the Gallery of recent pictures posted by unkle bik was a picture titled Beaver Head Southlight that looked similar to yours in # 9. Do you know if they're one and the same ?[/QB]
Not the same pic. I have not seen his pics. We were probably standing in the same spot when we took the pic.
Sean McDonough

KK Belfy Antkoviak

Post by KK Belfy Antkoviak »

Anna, form your last post,sounds like you should make the trip here and check out the island.