Faster Internet Connections for Beaver Island

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Here is the text of communication between those who are trying to get a faster internet service on the Island. If you are interested, please e-mail the man from TDS in the following:

Here is the note that I sent to TDS. Dean Watkins told me that they do have DSL in the plan for 2006 and that we could quote him on this. His phone is 517-625-6400. The more emails and phone calls he receives the faster we may be able to move this forward. Emails would probably be best since their so easy to count and forward and leave a trail that can be easily created.

If you know of others who might be interested in Beaver Island broadband, maybe you could ask them to email Dean.Watkins@tdstelecom.com and express their interest as well.
Chamber of Commerce

Faster Internet

Post by Chamber of Commerce »

Called and wrote a letter. Hope others will as well. Thanks for the heads up Rich.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Steve! As you say, if anyone is interested, now is the time to let TDS know, so please send them an email.
TD

Improved internet access

Post by TD »

I'm counting the days till we get DSL. Maybe now we won't have to plan for large towers all over the island just to get decent connection speed.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

It's definitely the way to go if it's a possibility. With no other low(er) latency options on the table in the past, relatively small wireless towers didn't seem more objectionable to me than all the power poles for example, but if dsl is in the cards, it seems the clear winner.

Has anyone heard any news on this?
TD

Post by TD »

From what I've heard on the island is that recent hardware upgrades at the teleco's POP makes DSL possible almost immediately. The telco's decision as when to roll it out will be based on financial considerations. I would guess that things like the number of 2nd phone lines for dial-up internet access and local loop charges for the cuurent ISP are factors. I think it has been almost three years since great lakes started up internet service so their T1 contracts probalby run out at the end of summer. I expect some announcement from TDS as to their intentions in late June or July. They may also be looking for an ISP to outsource their capabilities to ( this is just speculation on my part)

If there was a wireless option for the entire island I would bet that it would include 2 or 3 larger antennas and not a series of smaller ones. A greater angle of attack when transmitting wireless signals really helps prevent signal loss through white pines.

If small or large antennas become our only option for improved internet access; I'm for it. It will be important though to include language in our tower ordinance that heights will be lowered as technologies improve. I'm willing to make visual aesthetic compromises for improved communications as long as it is neccassary.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I'm told that a decision should be reached by the end of this month (February) on whether or not a DSLAM for B.I. might possibly be included in TDS' plan for 2006. So all we can do now is wait and hope :)
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Another question on my mind: even if we are really lucky and get DSL, what distance limitations might apply to Beaver Island and how many people would still be excluded from broadband service because their distance is too great from the CO?
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

From this site:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/8384

Says:

1) Too far - over 4.5 to 5.5km away from DSLAM
Reason: This is the most likely reason. You need to be roughly within 4.5km away from a DSLAM/RSLAM to sync at 1Mbps. If you have coarser gauge wire, you may be able to be 5.5km away, give or take a few hundred metres.

If memory serves 5 Km is about 3.3 miles

On the map looks like it might get to Sloptown rd.. of course the ISP can add additional points of presence but they might not regard that as cost effective.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

Many thanks -- that's the figure I believe Ted reported as well. Back in the year 2000 there was talk of fairly economical repeater technology to extend the reach up to 30,000 feet, but I know so little about dsl that I don't know what happened with this technology since then.

http://www.isp-planet.com/technology/symmetricom.html
The actual cost of installing the GoLong technology is, according to Symmetricom, "about the same" as what it currently costs for conventional ADSL. In the words of Skipwith, "the cost of DSL service is normally in the range of about $700 per subscriber. This figure includes the modem and the portion of the DSLAM that is used for the individual service. Our installed cost should be around that same $700 mark initially and it will go substantially below that as we get into volume."

Extending the reach of ADSL to 30,000 feet, or six miles, will certainly provide a significant boost to the popularity and deployment of ADSL service. It would also bring broadband data access to many of rural, exurban, and even suburban areas that have been bypassed by the high-speed highway.
or
http://www.broadbandweek.com/news/01041 ... _range.htm

Is this type of technology common place now 6 years later, or were there unforseen bumps in the road? Is something similar applicable to Beaver Island's basic system design?
woodchopper57

Broadband

Post by woodchopper57 »

Who provides the cable TV service on the Island? Would it be viable for them to provide high speed, as that is what I have through my cable company?
Julie Gillespie
TD

Post by TD »

:? DSL technology is complicated and rapidly improving. I don't know much about it other than I want it. As far as I know most of Peaine has fiber to the curb (FTTC) but the street cabinets are spread out, the limitations of ADSL/ADSL2 that I've read about, talk about transmission over copper. I'm really curious how the fiber optic lines fit into the puzzle. The newer (reach extended) RE-ADSL2 bost of smaller mini/remote DSLAM and more weather resistant equipment and compability with in other DSL systems. I'll bet they use some RE-ADLS if they go head with it.

The TDS brains must have figured out how they can provide DSL to most of the island. I still think its a business decision at this point. How may DSL sucribers will there be if they say DSL in '06. Will they also offer dial-up? How many year round residents want DSL? How many seasonal residents will want DSL, even if you have to pay for it year round?

I feel like a kid on Christmas eve. Why do we have to wait till the end of the month?

If TDS doesn't offer DSL and a wireless option arises I'll go with VOIP.
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

I'm curious, who owns the Peaine fiber mentioned above and is there also fiber down all the roads in St. James ? Also, same owner?
jflanagan

Post by jflanagan »

I understand that vacationers in Europe + asia can buy a "disposable" cell phone.
For a fee you get a phone + x min. which, I gather, is much cheaper than roaming fees. There's a deposit when the phone is returned.

Could some smart businessman start the same thing on B.I. and do likewise with Internet access. a weekly fee ? $25 a week? for high speed access?
TD

Post by TD »

I've always assumed TDS owns or at least controls all of the telephone infrastructure. The tax records show the CO is owned by the Beaver Island Telephone Co, I also assume that this is a TDS entity but I could easily be wrong. I would bet that there is a fiber run out to Donegal Bay. As for the rest of St. James I have no idea.

There may be a market for phone rentals in the short run. I know that Hawaii has short term phone rentals but the have a booming tourist business. I would hope that future changes in the tower ordinance would include language to assure that towers have multiple use/carriers. Most communities include this type of requirements in newer ordinances. If there are multiple carriers in the future with good signals the market for rental phone would most likely decline. Beaver Islands really is the kind of place where your more inclined to turn your cell off if you can.

I've heard the rental phone idea floated around the island before so maybe someone will offer the service.