They are us

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

wmarkey

They are us

Post by wmarkey »

Beaver Island is, in reality, One community, but it is also almost a microcosm of the country if not the world. The problems and complications of everyday life exist here like anywhere else. And like anywhere else, only a small percentage of the population participate in the political life or the, seemingly, ubiquitous non-government committees. Unfortunately, everyone of these organisations, from the Fire department to the Health Fair, face being shorthanded of qualified and/or enthusiastic members. Not all of these participants are true professioals, politicians, or bureaucrats, but all are our neighbors, friends, or bridge partners.
THEY ARE US!
Every committee or organisation, here on Beaver Island, get their share of people who disagree or are unsatisfied. I have even sat next to a heckler and was transported in space and tme by the spirit of Democracy in action past ("Hear, Here" said John Adams. "Order" said John Hancock) Never forget that in the end, these professionals, volunteers, commissioners, and even hecklers, are you and me.

William A. Markey
Last edited by wmarkey on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
debrob2

Well Said...

Post by debrob2 »

Well said Will. Well said.
John Bolton

Post by John Bolton »

The greatest danger to our community, local or nationally, is the lack of involvment by the general citizenry. Power abhors a vacuum and loves an ignorant, non voting public.
This leads to local cronyism, nepotism and ultimately, national corporatism...aka: Fascism
Stay tuned in, stay in touch with each other, speak your piece and VOTE intelligently... or we will all be ignored...
If we do not all hang together,
we will all hang separately,
Ben Franklin
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

I do not share the same problem over here on Whiskey Island. As captain of my destiny, I live by: "there is no we in me".
However, and this may come as a shock, I totally agree with John Bolton's words of wisdom.
Will, didn't mean to leave you out, I agree totally with your post and will be watching through the snow flakes.
Skull&CrossBones
willm

asdf

Post by willm »

Great post dad. You're absolutely right, and not least in that it's not only true on Beaver Island. All peoples would do well to remember this.

The "other" is really US. Right on.
BI Pirate

Post by BI Pirate »

Snowing and blowing hard over here, can't see the lights of Beaver anymore.
Skull&CrossBones