Update On Land Acquisition for Townships' Airport

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

AEW

Post by AEW »

Absolutely disgusting. It is time for some house cleaning and some new representatives.
AE Wirth
Sheri Timsak

Post by Sheri Timsak »

I am only going to say one thing - Please do not bring the Cantata into this discussion. Thank you.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Sheri, you are right and I apologize for mentioning the Cantata which I totally support, wishing performers and audience well. The point was not Cantata but the hyprocrisy of some inappropriately using the symbols of Christ to make their point.

Kirk D. McBride
Last edited by sbsp on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gillespie

Post by Gillespie »

Kirk, and others, I have been watching this thread evolve and am perplexed at why folks cannot contact those they feel culpable in any of these matters and then pick away as they might
should, many of us follow this like a soap opera but don't know who the real culprit is until the story ends! How about lets take a different approach and give us the facts!

I would take credit (at times) for establishing this forum but I remember so well being swatted time and again for "throwing" spitballs as a kid in school, but I never intended this for being a spitball throwing forum or an aimless blame forum, I thought it would be a sharing of facts forum? Where did I go wrong?
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Richie, I hear you and as you know have always supported you. I have always contacted boards and individuals directly before posting to the Forum. When the boards and individuals ignore you and your requests, as the BIAC did to me as well as all those attending today's meeting, I think the public should know the facts. If anything I have posted is not factual as I have said before, if I'm incorrect I will retract whatever I post.
I'm big enough to admit when I am wrong so please let me know if I'm wrong. I just wrote a check for $8,000 for my taxes and for that I believe I deserve to be heard and receive a response from public officials.
Again, please let me know if I am wrong.

Kirk D. McBride
Mike Green

Post by Mike Green »

Why don't we change the name of this forum to the Kirk D McBride and Adam E Wirth forum
Deborah452

Post by Deborah452 »

While packing up my house, I found this in a little town newspaper from Machias, Maine, where my parents used to live.

20 Clues to Rural Community Survival: An Annotated List

1.Evidence of Community Pride- Successful communities are often showplaces of care, attention, history and heritage.

2.Emphasis on Quality in Business and Community Life- People believe that something worth doing is worth doing right.

3.Willingness to Invest in the Future- In addition to the brick-and-mortar investments, all decisions are made with an outlook on the future.

4.Participatory Approach to Community Decision Making- Even the most powerful of opinion leaders seem to work toward building consensus.

5.Cooperative Community Spirit- The stress is on working together toward a common goal and the focus is on positive results.

6.Realistic Appraisal of Future Opportunities- Successful communities have learned how to build on strengths and minimize weaknesses.

7.Awareness of Competitive Positioning- Local loyalty is emphasized, but thriving communities who know who their competitors are and position themselves accordingly.

8.Knowledge of the Physical Environment- Relative location and available natural resources underscore decision-making.

9.Active Economic Development Program- There is an organized, public/private approach to economic development.

10.Deliberate Transition of Power to a Younger Generation of Leaders- People under 40 regularly hold key positions in civic and business affairs.

11.Celebration of Diversity in Leadership- Women, minorities, youth and newcomers are welcomed into leadership circles where their ideas are treated as opportunities.

12.Strong Belief in and Support for Education- Good schools are the norm and centers of community activity.

13.Problem-Solving Approach to Providing Health Care- Health care is considered essential, and smart strate-gies are in place for diverse methods of delivery.

14.Strong Multi-Generational Family Orientation- The definition of family is broad, and activities include younger as well as older generations.

15.Strong Presence of Traditional Institutions that are Integral to Community Life- Churches, schools and service clubs are strong influences on community development and social activities.

16.Sound and Well-Maintained Infrastructure- Leaders work hard to maintain and improve streets, sidewalks, water systems, and sewage facilities.

17.Careful Use of Fiscal Resources- Frugality is a way of life and expenditures are considered investments in the future.

18.Sophisticated Use of Technology Resources- Leaders access information that is beyond the knowledge base available in the community.

19.Willingness to Seek Help from the Outside- People seek outside help for community needs, and many compete for government grants and contracts for economic and social programs.

20.Conviction that, in the Long Run, You Have to Do It Yourself- Thriving rural communities believe their destiny is in their own hands.
Making their communities good places is a pro-active assignment, and they willingly accept it.
AEW

Post by AEW »

I second Mikes motion
8)
AE Wirth
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

I have agreed with Richie to keep my posts short, to the point and factual.

FACT: The letter printed in the NortherIslander from the BIAC appears to be an outright violation of Michigan law and the Open Meetings Act!

Again, if my facts are not correct, I will retract my statement.

Kirk D. McBride
AEW

Post by AEW »

ditto
AE Wirth
AEW

Post by AEW »

Definition of FORUM
1. a: the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city
forming the center of judicial and public business
b: a public meeting place for open discussion
c: a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

2. a: judicial body or assembly : court

3. a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion
b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities

I have people contact me quite often who say to me "I would say something about that but I (or their family members) work for the School, or Boat Company, or Health Center, or Township etc. People need a place to speak and this is it.

Rich, there is nothing fearful about openness, transparency, legality and honesty to most people. And anyone who would attempt to obstruct it is suspicious to me.

When Elected Township board members get no bid contracts with the townships they work for with no public knowledge the People ask questions.

When public money is spent in a grossly inefficient and ineffective manner by a few with little thought of long term sustainability or fiscal sanity the People ask questions.

When the seasonal Island people who pay the brunt of the property taxes complain to me yet have NO voice when it comes to voting on Island issues the People ask questions.

When laws and rules seem to apply to some and not others, People ask questions.

Rich, we can do better. We all can

Questioning Authority is good
AE Wirth
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

well said :lol:
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

I think the points that Deborah452 lists should be carefully read by everyone in the so-called power elite and take them seriously.
sbsp

Post by sbsp »

Let me correct my earlier post with clarification. It has been called to my attention that the BIAC letter was also printed in the Beacon.

FACT: To be perfectly clear, publishing the BIAC letter in any printed form in any media is not a violation of Michigan law and the Open Meetings Act. It is the document (BIAC letter) and the Commission that appears to be in violation of the law.

One other clarification if I might.

FACT: I do not believe that all the named commission members on the BIAC letter are in agreement and support of the BIAC letter or its contents.

Kirk D. McBride

PS - I am pleased to learn that the Beaver Island Beacon is also covering the issues.
bibabes+2

Post by bibabes+2 »

I know that Mr. Green and others have stated they are tired of this topic and I can be included in those numbers. We do not live on Beaver Island but visit often but not often enough for our liking.
I would not even be on this airport topic right now except for a solution to all the gut churning.
We love the Forum because it keeps us up to date weekly, daily and sometimes hourly. Here is my suggestion: We take the newspaper in GR and after reading my favorite sections I glance at the other headlines. If I am interested in the subject I will read it, if not I ignore it. But I do agree that the people printing it have a right to free speech. They also must agree that I have a right to ignore their article. My suggestion being, if you are as sick of the airport information as I am, ignore it, don't open it.
They have the right to free speech, we have the right to ignore some topics and only read subjects that do have our interest.
Cheryl