Congratulations ferry "South Shore"

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

South Shore

Congratulations ferry "South Shore"

Post by South Shore »

Former Beaver Island ferry, "South Shore" will turn 60 years old this Thursday, March 17, 2005. When she first arrived at the island in 1973, she was hailed as "The Daughter of St. Pat." Raise a drink in honor of this proud gal who served Beaver Island well!
Sean Whelan
nick

Post by nick »

Seen alot of chum tossed over her sides. I am sure that boat has made many of stories in her 60 years.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Thanks for the reminder, Capt. Whelan. The South Shore served Beaver Islanders faithflly, if slowly, over the years...
Rich

Post by Rich »

And, as Nick said, the waters between Beaver Island and Charlevoix were seeded with chum, keeping many fish fed for years!!

Post by Guest »

Yes indeed, the fish were fed! The South Shore rolled more than an Irishman on a bar room floor on St. Patrick's Day! ;-)

Post by Guest »

Well, don't forget, she was built for a 30 minute shuttle in Lake Erie. And besides, she was a Lexus compared to the 5 and 4 hour rides aboard her predecessors "Mary Margaret" and "North Shore". I remember having my nicest ride to the Island aboard her. Quiet and didnt shudder like the Islander, just sailed along and enjoyed the view. She may have had her stories in the rough, but just goes to show how seaworthy she was! A Salute- three long and two short to the girl!
Another Guest

Post by Another Guest »

Well said, Guest. She was a fine ferry in her own right, no question about it. Glad we had her all those years...
Islander

Post by Islander »

Anyone have any good stories about her? 20 plus years, she must have had some interesting excursions! Anyone?

Post by Guest »

Didn't she race the Beaver Islander once? I think they used the picture of them tied coming into the harbor on the schedule a few years back. anyone remember?
Rich S

Post by Rich S »

Ho Boy...

It was my first visit to the island - probably '75. I was with my cousin Duff (Jeff, now a BI resident), and my dad put us on a flight over to the island to hear my brother Mike's band Homecookin' at the Shamrock (or to get rid of us so they could party with the Whitley's in Charlevoix). We stayed at the King Strang Hotel for one night and then took the South Shore off the island the next morning. We both had good sea legs and were in the spirit of an adventure, but that wasn't the case for all the passengers... We had to go into the passenger galley and pass all those poor souls who no choice but to sit in that circle, clutching their metal buckets and looking at each-sick-other as Duff and I did a sea-leg shuffle past in order to purchase a doughnut, which we did several times!

You know, it's tough to be in the presence of bum-chuckers as you eat your doughnut, but I suppose it is even tougher to observe a pair of adventure seeking pastry gobblers as you're fighting your own nausea. :oops:

I wonder if any of them ever returned...

Best Wishes South Shore. Here's your emoticon... :mrgreen:

Post by guest »

Ahh me lads, but she was a fine slow bogg!
Sean

An Ode to the mighty South Shore

Post by Sean »

An Ode to the South Shore

Listen close, and I'll tell you a tale,
of a ship and a stormy sea,
of a routine trip, on a tiny ship, on a run that had
to be.

From Charlevoix Bay, on a windy day,
To St. James on the Beaver Isle,
She's sweep along and sing her song
Of men of the sea, rank, and file.

She'd pitch and toss, and rock and roll
Till you'd fear she'd fall apart,
But she'd forge thru, with all her crew,
By the strength of her pounding heart.

She's not well known, but stands alone,
In the hearts of men who know,
That she beats her way, thru wind and spray,
Thru fog or an early snow.

She'd carry frieght and passengers too,
And generally a "Rushin" along
With Cap't Russ, and a cargo of Joy
Bound for the Shamrock and song.

She carried McDonoughs and Gallaghers too,
Martins and then LaFranieres,
Men of the cloth and laymen as well,
As the young and those on in years.

You can be sure, when she rounds the Point,
The Islanders are put on alert,
She'll be met at the pier, with a smile and a cheer
And a man in a red plaid shirt.

As I end this tale, I'll heave a sigh
Of remorse, and then I'll smile,
For I'll live for the day, I'll make my way,
Back to the Beaver Isle.

Three Long and Two Short to the "South Shore".

Post by Guest »

K Fallon

southshore

Post by K Fallon »

:lol: First trip was in 78 and i had apple fritters for brekfast...They came up soon after the waves were so bad that day that you could not even sit on the benches and look out on the water...Seems like yesterday and havent had an apple fritter since..

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote: And besides, she was a Lexus compared to the 5 and 4 hour rides aboard her predecessors "Mary Margaret" and "North Shore".

Whatever happened to the "North Shore", anyway? I know she was around up until the early '80's.