Names of Beaver out islands?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Marie Powers

Thumb connections

Post by Marie Powers »

Kelly Gleason spoke with her Grandmother regarding the family names you are interested in in the Thumb. The Gallagher name is not familiar to her nor is Laverty. The Fox name is however. Hattie Fox had a brother that was a priest (she can't remember his name) Hattie married Charlie Kammer. The union produced three children...Joe, Pat and Helen. Joe had three children-Mary, Pat and Ray. Mary Etta Kammer is a retired school teacher living in Midland, Michigan. Pat and Ray still live on the homestead which is east of M-19 north of Foley Rd. on Carney Rd. (we think) and is on the east side. There is a Fox Road which is southeast of Emmett (2 miles east of M-19). Hattie and Charlie are most likely buried in the Kenockee Cemetery. Kenockee Cemetery is the burial grounds for most of the Irish folks from the area. If you are interested in greater detail, you might want to visit the Kenockee Cemetery or the church in Emmett.
Linda

the Foxes

Post by Linda »

Thank you for this valuable info, Marie & Jeff! Sounds like Hattie might have been a generation later than my Julia, maybe her niece. I am thrilled to hear about the Kenockee Cemetery, will make note of it, perhaps I can find more Foxes!

I haven't been into that area in more than 20 years, it would make an interesting road trip...

Thanks again!

:-)
cheri ken

beaver island archipelago

Post by cheri ken »

Hat island is NE of Hog island. My ex, Joe Kenwabikise was a commercial fisherman for many years in the waters around the Beavers.
Linda Gallagher

MOOD article

Post by Linda Gallagher »

Hi everyone-just wanted to let those of you who might be interested know that my feature on Beaver Island will be published in the July issue of Michigan Out of Doors magazine, out in a week or so.

I hope everyone likes it.

I'll try to bring some extra copies with me when I return to the island (can't wait!) on June 21st.

I'll be coming back with Jimmy Gretzinger, host of the Michigan Out of Doors TV show, and one of his assistant producers. We're looking forward to seeing Jeff and Steve and some of the other wonderful folks on the island again, and to doing some fishing with some of the anglers on the island for the show.

Looking forward to the 21st, if anyone's got any tips on the fishing, or would like to show us some of the island's fishing, (again, no deep secrets given away!!), we'd love to hear from you...please get in touch!

See you soon,

Linda Gallagher
Lindag10@hotmail.com