Grand Rapids Party

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Rich

Grand Rapids Party

Post by Rich »

The annual party of the Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids will be held at the Grand Rapids Hilton on February 26th. If you have been there before you don't want to miss it and if you haven't tried it you should, "You'll like it!!!" Anyone care to post the time and directions?? This group raises funds for Beaver Island functions and charities and has greatly benefited the island over the years.
Paul/Shirley Cole

BICGR Party Details

Post by Paul/Shirley Cole »

Thanks for reminding everyone about the Beaver Island Club of Grand Rapids party! This will be the 39th annual celebration and promises to be a wonderful evening of traditional island music and good fun. We had a fantastic turnout last year (230+!) and hope to have an even better showing of support this year. The party will be at the Hilton in Grand Rapids, MI on February 26th. For reservations/directions, the Hilton may be contacted at (616) 957-0100. Mention that you're with the Beaver Island party for your discount rate of $65/night. There's a great restaurant in the hotel, and reservations are recommended for either dinner Saturday night or Sunday morning brunch. We just had our final meeting tonight to get the fliers ready for the postman, so watch your mailbox! The party usually starts when we get there :P but the doors open around 7:00pm! Hope everyone can make it as all proceeds benefit the Beaver Island community directly! Slan'!
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

BTT

So who's in? :D

Post by Guest »

I'm not savvy on the lingo - what's BTT?
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

Does anyone know Tom Burke

Post by Guest »

hi,

is there any chance that Tom Burke will be at the GR party. I heard he was coming back to the states. He's so fabulous i'd almost make the drive all the way down from Charlevoix. Can anyone confirm or deny this

Summer Visitor

Post by Guest »

'Fraid not, Charlevoixan. Mr. Burke has returned to rainy Dublin...but her sures seems to hae made an impression on most of northern michigan! :wink:
Tara palmer

Post by Tara palmer »

Hey Rory,
I'll be there...will you?
As for the "summer visitor" who are you? I'd love to share with Tom your excitement at the thought of him returning to the states.
Rory Connaghan

Post by Rory Connaghan »

Hey T.T. :D I'll be the one with bells on...C-ya by the pool?
trish scott

Music at the Party

Post by trish scott »

Is there live music at the party? If so, who is playing?
Crazy Charlie

music

Post by Crazy Charlie »

I think that Rosie Palma is playing. Followed by Skin Flint.

Should be a great show

Post by guest »

Have a drink in honer of Glen Mac :mrgreen:
Mara

Post by Mara »

As you mention that this benefits the island...what or I should say how do you do it? Is there any gambling, auctions or other money making stuff? I have been to a lot of things like that and was just curious if it was like that? I realized that Grand Rapids is just a hop, skip and jump from the Chicago area!!! This could be my "preliminary round" with you all!!! :) That would be wonderful!!!

Mara McDonough-Burns
Shirley Cole

Post by Shirley Cole »

There will be live music at the party provided by Edward Palmer, Rich Scripps and Danny Gillespie. Glen Hendrix might play his fiddle for us, though we'll all miss the joyful music of Glen McDonough. There will probably be one or two other band members as well fill in on drums, etc. It's predominantly Beaver Island traditional music, but they've mixed it up in the past few years to appeal to a wider audience. The best way to find out what it's all about is to come and enjoy yourself! And for the character that made the previous comment about who the musicians would be, please try to refrain from those kinds of remarks. That's NOT what this forum is about, and we don't think you're funny. Just sad.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Sorry Mara! Forgot to mention that we always raffle off a basket of joy, which is laden with beer/wine/liquor. Usually worth about $1000-$1500. We're also raffling off a weekend for two on the Island. Right now that has 2 rt airfare to the Island, 2 rt boat fares to the Island, 2 nights lodging at the Beaver Lodge in a lakeview suite, and dinner/lunch/breakfasts for two at various restaurants around the Island. Those are the two biggest money makers for the party, and everything we make is donated back to the Island for things like the fire department, medical center, cemetery upkeep, wildlife preserve, etc. etc. There are also doorprizes which we draw names for based on your entry fee. If you can make the trip up from Chicago, be sure to introduce yourself to one of the club members. We'll be the ones selling tickets at the door, or working the drink table, or selling the raffle tickets, etc. So I hope to see you there!