Cellular Phone Service

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

jim carrow

Cellular Phone Service

Post by jim carrow »

As of yesterday, 8/25/2004, the Beaver Island existing Cellular One site has been upgraded to GSM. This is the first BIG step to improved service on the Island. It will immediatly allow visitors who have cellular service with other carriers that have roaming agreements with Cellular One to use their cell phones while visiting the island if they are on a GSM operating system. Some adjustments and tuning are still needed to be done, however in the near future I will be contacting a few local residents to test the system for us. Although this will not immediatly mean better coverage, it will enable us to communicate through the internet by way of cell phone, take and send pictures ETC. Again, you may not notice a big difference in overall coverage, but this is definitly a first BIG step.
Thanks to all for your patience and input.

Re: Cellular Phone Service

Post by Guest »

jim carrow wrote:As of yesterday, 8/25/2004, the Beaver Island existing Cellular One site has been upgraded to GSM. This is the first BIG step to improved service on the Island. It will immediatly allow visitors who have cellular service with other carriers that have roaming agreements with Cellular One to use their cell phones while visiting the island if they are on a GSM operating system. Some adjustments and tuning are still needed to be done, however in the near future I will be contacting a few local residents to test the system for us. Although this will not immediatly mean better coverage, it will enable us to communicate through the internet by way of cell phone, take and send pictures ETC. Again, you may not notice a big difference in overall coverage, but this is definitly a first BIG step.
Thanks to all for your patience and input.[/list]
Please feel free to contact me at james.carrow@dobson.net
Kris S.

cellular phone service

Post by Kris S. »

While we were staying on the island during the middle part of this month I used my cell phone almost exclusively and found it worked quite well. (Better than at home, in fact, but I live in the middle of a cell phone "dead zone", so that's not saying much.) I live in the 989 area code and didn't even appear to be "roaming". Good luck to all of you who've had trouble getting your cell phones to work. (P.S.: These two are supposed to be talking, not arguing.):argue:
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin