R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Bill

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Post by Bill »

While the crowds from downstate pour off the boats this weekend to have fun on the island, it would probabley be a good idea for the storekeepers to keep an eye out for more five-finger discounts, and for the bartenders and waitresses at the restaurants to be ready for more rude and insulting customers. Some people just don't know any better, I guess, or don't care how they treat the place we call home. The more people here put up with that, the worse it gets. Demand respect for the island and it's people, folks. Remember to do that...
cherie

r-e-s-p-e-c-t

Post by cherie »

Respect should be used no matter where it may be.

I've seen rude people not just in business places but on our roads highways as well.Do they do this same thing at home or are they just plain lazy and stupid?

Whenever I would visit one of the island up in the U. P. area I would see people throw their trash on the ground even though they'd be right next to a trash receptical.Don't these people realize that these islands and such are part of history and should be treated as such.

There's a sign posted on the wall of a resturant out here in Southern California that reads " If it's tourist season how come we can't shoot them" ?

Cherie Tebo Eck
Michigander(born and raised in Michigan
Kris S.

respect (goes both ways)

Post by Kris S. »

:| Is this a serious message? I very much enjoy the limited time my family and I are able to spend on the island every year, and feel as though we are quite respectful of the place and the people. We are that way at home, too. I agree with the person who wrote that there are disrespectful people everywhere...and respectful people everywhere, too. For an island that depends heavily on the money generated by apparently dreaded tourists, your message wasn't exactly welcoming!
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
cherie

r-e-s-p-e-c-t

Post by cherie »

Kris without a doubt respect goes both ways,but there are tourists who are rude and seem to think that every store keeper and waitress are their personal servant.

I agree with Bill sole-heartedly.I don't think Bill was trying to make anyone feel unwelcome he was just stating something that's true and happens.There are rude people and shoplifters no matter where you go.If you took what he said the wrong way such is life.Everyone has a right on this forum to express their views or opinions just as long as they're not abusive or this wouldn't be considered a public forum.Lets just say we agree to disagree and be done with it.It was said you read it go on.

Cherie
Kris S.

respect?

Post by Kris S. »

Actually, I'm afraid I took it the way it was intended. But, I agree, 'nuff said. :?
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin