You told me about Beaver Island, but what about....

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Dawn Attruia

You told me about Beaver Island, but what about....

Post by Dawn Attruia »

....the winter! Could anyone give a little advice as to what is absolutely necessary to get through a Beaver Island winter? I'm no stranger to below zero, or snow, but...I have not been on an Island through a winter either! I'm assuming groceries and household items are available year round, yes? What about vehicles? Do I need mine? Will it be useless after December? I have no doubts about spending this next year there, but I find I have many questions the closer I get to leaving. If you can spare a moment to answer alot of questions (some silly I suppose) please email me @ dattruia@earthlink.net I don't want to waste anymore space or time in the forum asking a bunch of questions. Though, I must say that the responses I have received have been quite a testiment to the wonders of your Island, and people. I can't thank the responders enough, you have no idea how much it helped this process. I look forward to my year there, and to the influence Beaver Island will have upon my writing. After many months already invested, my goal is to complete the entire work this year. :?:
Many, many thanks ...Dawn Attruia
Jack Frost

Silly Mainland Broad :p

Post by Jack Frost »

Hey Dawn, Yes Bring your 4x4 Hummer Over there you'll need it,and take some Snow Shoes also :lol: Or you Could just take your SnowMobile over there also then you'd be all set.

Im sure you will be having Romantic FirePlace Dinner's most your Winter time there anyway's, so why you worry so much?. There will be alot of Hound Dog's on you anyways so you will be ok you wont Freeze or Go Hungry :P :roll:
Dawn Attruia

To "Jack Frost"

Post by Dawn Attruia »

Thanks for the morning chuckle with my cup of coffee! Very funny.
My Honda certainly doesn't compare to a Hummer, and I don't own a snowmobile, so I guess I'll be snowshoeing it. :-
I hope that all my winter nights are spent tapping the keyboard producing the greatest literary epic of my generation! :D
Seriously, I hope most of my time with spent with folks, are the ones who have all the great stories and legends of Beaver Island. I worked so hard to be be able to take this year off, and this work means so much to me, it would defeat my goal to waste time on that craziness. These questions may seem silly to you, but for me to try to plan this entire year before I even get there, is not so easy. I couldn't think of a better place to get real, honest answers than from the folks who actually live there. The "silly mainland broad"... Dawn Attruia
Jack F.

Geeky Lady

Post by Jack F. »

Hey Dawn glad you took it in a Fun way. You wasent spose to Read the small Print there above. :wink: I hope they are not all Lie's who ever talk's with you. and hope they are Sober :}
Best of luck to you this Summer. Peace, Out. :|
kathleen

response to Jack Frost

Post by kathleen »

Hey Jack, Sorry you feel the way you do about the people on Beaver Island.NOT everyone tells lies nor is eveyone partiers as you "so called" saying so in regards to your statement on finding someone sober to talk to.