Flying from Milwaukee?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Kris S.

Flying from Milwaukee?

Post by Kris S. »

We are trying to talk some friends who live north of Chicago into coming to the island for a few days while my family is there this summer. Although I suspect it's possible to fly from the other side of the lake to the island, I don't know where to point our friends to get more info about doing so. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions/relevant past experiences, please pass them on.
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin
BobTidmore

Travel from Milwaukee

Post by BobTidmore »

You might suggest to your friends the new high-speed ferry. It travels from Milwaukee to Muskegon. Here is a web site with information.

http://www.port.mil.wi.us/lake_express_carferry.htm

You can also call Island Airways and they can give you a price for flying over.

Bob Tidmore
BobTidmore

Better Web site for the ferry from Milwaukee

Post by BobTidmore »

Here is a bettter web site.

http://www.lake-express.com/

Bob Tidmore
Deb Robert

Flying from Milwaukee

Post by Deb Robert »

My inlaws live in Milwaukee and we have traveled to and from several ways. Island Airways is by far the most convenient, but also the most expensive...well in excess of $1000.00 round trip the last time we flew. So, if money isn't an issue, I would highly recommend that route.

Midwest Express also flies from Milwaukee to Traverse City...much cheaper, but to that fee you also need to consider the expense of traveling from Traverse and the expense to and from BI.

We have looked into the Ludington Ferry (Badger) but never used that service as it goes into Manitowoc (sp?) and when you add up the travel time to Ludington, the length of the ferry (5 hours I believe) and then your travel from Manitowoc to Milwaukee, it actually takes longer than driving around the lake.

We have not used the ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee, but plan on checking out the website now. I believe that if it is running now, it JUST started running. Keep us posted on what they decide as we are always looking for other options.
BobTidmore

High Speed Ferry Trip

Post by BobTidmore »

I took the new high-speed ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee Wednesday of this week. Nice trip and it lives up to the 2-½ hour trip. The inside is nice, aircraft reclining seats on the outside and seat and seat/table combinations on the inside. Well done and a comfortable and fast trip. It was nice weather during my trip but would be curious how it rides when the weather is bad. $85.00 round trip for an individual but only $118.00 for a vehicle, which is reasonable.