Dental Care

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Rich

Dental Care

Post by Rich »

It was I who deleted the thread on the dental care "announcement" because it immediately caused a problem by identifying the thread starter as someone other than who it was. The response from "Earl M" also caused some confusion as to who it was and, as you all know, if you want to start a thread and/or reply you should be sure people will know who you are. The thread was starting to take a turn that would only cause hard feelings. If the submitter wants to try again, that is great but this forum should be used to support the best interests of the island and not personal feelings if that is the case. Sorry, as you all know it is not policy to delete threads but, in this case, completely uninvolved people were being implicated, try again!!
kstableford

opinions vs. personal attacks

Post by kstableford »

I'm as much in favor of free speech as the next person (probably more in favor than lots of next persons), but I thought "Earl M."'s slam of someone other than the person who apparently wrote the message about Charlevoix dentists crossed a line. Would he say to Beth Anne's face what he felt so free to write about her? I imagine not. Long story short, I'm glad you got rid of this thread. And let's remember our manners! :?
Number 7

makes a good case for registering

Post by Number 7 »

any fool can speak if they don't think they will be accountable.

Jeff, you should publish IP addresses with every post.

Kevin Green, otherwise known as Number 7
Nich

Here, here!

Post by Nich »

Totally agree on this one. Slamming people, especially if you don't know what you're talking about, is a waste of space!
Thanks Rich!
Ted Nicholas
nich01@tds.net
Beth Ann McCafferty

dental service to islanders

Post by Beth Ann McCafferty »

I am confused by the reaction from my previous post about the discount for dental services being offered by Dr. Harry Suckert to Island residents. I chose to use this forum as an "open" and friendly form of communication. Not as an opinion, by any means. I apologize to the "other" Beth Ann's in the world, if they were mistaken by obviously confused readers, and had their names slandered. I was not fortunate enough to read the comments posted by others, before Richie decided to delete the comments to save more undue frustration aimed at the wrong individuals.
I did not "choose" to leave my last name off the post. This was my 1st attempt at using this forum, I would have thought my registration info. as a forum guest would have been easily seen, or looked up by those caring to find out who I was.
It also suprises me that someone has a problem with the freedom of choice, to choose from the vast array of health care professionals that Beaver Island and the nearby surrounding cities (on the mainland) have to offer. I support our local Medical Center 100%by participating with the health care professionals here with general health care needs. However, on certain health issues, one may require a professional with more training or expertise in that area. For e.g. specific surgical, cardiac, gynecologic, pediatric, orthopedic, and neurological complications. Sure, we would all love to have these specialty services here as well, but lets be realistic. How can a year round community of 500 people support to keep these specialty physicians with a full clientele? We accept the fact that we must cross the lake and seek the specialty care. We have excellent general medical services here, but we will always need to seek the extra services across. I am sure there are many locals that don't even participate with the general health care offered here, that is their choice. We all have that privilage. I do not discount, or degrade any person's decision not to support a certain health care professional. Each health care professional is responsible for his/her actions and skills. I think the health care professional is responsible for a certain degree of the size of his/her patient group, but the size of the community also has a big factor on the size of that group who will participate with him/her. Perhaps, this small community size is part of the hardship Dr. White is experiencing trying to maintain a financially supporting clientele, perhaps not. That is not for me to say. I do feel it is wrong for anyone to cast judgement on those who chose not to see her or any other health care professional that may offer services here or in local areas.

2 years ago my husband was unable to have his dental needs met by Dr. White, she referred him to a Dr. across so his needs could be met. He now chooses to stay with a Dr. not located on Beaver Island so that his needs are met immediately, and without referral. Is this wrong? No.....It is the beauty of freedom of choice. I would never degrade one professional's talent from another, so if anyone is thinking that.....they are seriously reading something else into this posting. All I am offering is freedom of choice, and offering to Islanders the knowledge of a discount that is being presented to them to offset the cost of travel. I think this knowledge qualifies as a topic that is beneficial to the local Islanders. Is it not? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Respectfully submitted,
Beth Ann McCafferty
Beaver Island Resident,
and F.Y.I. "semi-retired" Intensive Care Nurse of ten years.
Number 7

Post by Number 7 »

Beth, my post was not referring to you but to the particular person who responded to you. I believe you have every right to express your opinion freely.

KJG
Kris S.

Post by Kris S. »

I echo what KJG said. The person who responded erroneously to your first message seemed to have more of a problem with who he thought was writing (as he expressed in very nasty fashion) than with what that person was writing.
"The trouble with the rat race is, even if you win, you're still a rat." --Lily Tomlin