Plastic Fencing Rant...

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Lost Sailor

Plastic Fencing Rant...

Post by Lost Sailor »

How many people on the island, or visitors to the island, really enjoy looking at a nice piece of plastic fencing? Plastic fencing is the wrong look for the island. The powers that be really need to take a good hard look at their plastic fencing. I think some nice island cedar, would be a much better choice of material, and it would be fairly low maintainance. Who's going to pay for this is a good question. In my opinion, the plastic fencing was a cheap cost, and not very well thought out decision. Run your hand over that fencing sometime, and tell me how nice it feels and looks, next to those nice wooden benches.

P. Licavoli
Those who wander, are not lost.
Used 2 Live on the Island

Thats Cheap :p

Post by Used 2 Live on the Island »

lol i have to Agree i havent seen them, but it sounds Yucky.. :wink:
Rich

Post by Rich »

Well, I would agree that the plastic fences are a little on the cheap side but they were installed knowing that no one would take care of them. If the fences were island cedar even after three years it is hard to imagine what they would look like. We just went ashore at Belize, C.A. and I have to say, I would take the fences any day. If anyone wants to see something better than can be philanthropic and "Get er done"!!
Jeff

Re: Plastic Fencing Rant...

Post by Jeff »

I personally don't like the plastic fences either. The new lights look nice, the new flowers and plantings are a a wonderful touch of color and greenery, and I'm sure tourists really appreciate having the new benches to rest on while enjoying the harbor. But I agree the plastic fences look artificial and unnatural, and a material more in the spirit of Beaver Island would be much nicer. (I'm not even sure I understand the purpose of the fences, but I suppose they help carve out the bench/light/flower areas from peoples' yards.)

As Rich says though, I didn't volunteer to do the maintenance beforehand so I can't criticize the decision that was made. Maybe a group of volunteers will come forward to do something nicer over time.