Why?

Open Discussion - for our Readers, Islanders, and Web Site Visitors alike. Discussion regarding any and all aspects of Beaver Island are welcome here. Also a place for general Beaver Island conversation and discussion.

Moderator: Gillespie

Liam Shan Ballymore

Why?

Post by Liam Shan Ballymore »

It is true I am giving in to impulse, but I must ask why. Why are the State Police here? Who invited them this time? And where is this crimewave?
...tis a fine and enviable madness, this delusion that all problems have solutions...and yet the horse may sing
conanconnor

Post by conanconnor »

What does it matter? Afraid of being pulled over? They have come to the island only a handful of times in the past 10 years. Every once and a while they need to make their presence known, that they can be sent here at moments notice. To do their job. Don't get offended when they show up to do their job for a day and check around, in what still is the U.S.A.
King Conan
stardust

better not cry

Post by stardust »

the state police have to come to the island in order to continue to get their funding for patrolling rural regions
MJ Pike

Why

Post by MJ Pike »

I waited on them in Dalwhinnie this afternoon and they said they were here for just the day to talk to people and see if they were needed at any specific times. They were super nice and very friendly young officers.
duffer

second that

Post by duffer »

yes i chatted with them also, they came to show a presence and to chat with people, as someone who has been living here and coming he here for ever i was not offended and lets look at things more clear! in the day nobody stole anything here, if you still think that is the case your wrong, sad as it is,do i think we need them? well the guys we got do very well, but it never hurts to get a visit now and then, be a good citizen and it won't matter, they are just doing their jobs!
duffy
KaylynJ

Post by KaylynJ »

Probably the same reason our local police officer goes to the boat dock when the boat is coming in - it's a reminder that even though this is an island, we're still under the law. Considering there are a lot of tourists here at this time, it's probably good to have a reminder of that. And they make sure we put our seatbelts on a little more often - not a bad thing! :-)
Kaylyn Jones